Author Topic: The on-going ever-evolving process of feeding Mazy cat  (Read 119456 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: The on-going ever-evolving process of feeding Mazy cat
« Reply #375 on: February 23, 2019, 06:14:03 PM »
The EZc meal to replace a Rad Cat meal is going very slowly. Still only once a week.  Last week I did lunch instead of morning. Later she vomited a different, Rad Cat meal, but again, I don't know if it was due to her regular cycle, it being the 7th day again. 

However today she had EZc for lunch and her supper pre meal..AFTER vomiting her pre-breakfast meal.  I figured since she'd had her 7-day vomit FIRST, this will be a truer test.

Either way it's gong to have to happen.  I still have enough Rad Cat to keep this transition slow.  I hate having to rely on ONLY EZc for her and I may try her with Alnutrin too.

As I use bone broth in her evening EZc meals, I am trying poached chicken beast both in her new EZc meals.  She is already maxed out on bone broth so I needed something else. I had the poached breast broth here from Jennie, so I tried it and she likes it.  Thank goodness.  All chicken in this house is organic now.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #376 on: February 24, 2019, 09:36:35 AM »
Mazy cat has started to leave half her bedtime meal and I wonder if for some reason she is objecting to the yolk, so as of today I am splitting the yolk into two meals. 1st morning meal and bedtime meal.

She gets 1/4 of a boiled egg yolk daily for choline (increases motility).  That's about 0.14 oz of yolk. I'm trying .07 am and pm now.

It seems that Mazy cat has done herself a huge favor in refusing the entire egg yolk dose at night.

I am seeing some unexpected benefits to the splitting to the yolk between 1st meal and last!  First, I am now giving her a little more.  She is getting 0.1 oz in her morning meal and 0.08 in her bedtime meal, eating it all, so is getting 0.18 yolk a day instead of 0.14 oz a day.  This tiny bit of increase seems to be making a very big difference!

As I mentioned...her last longer span (16 days) did not result in another 2-4 days of vomiting.  Also, she is pooping every 24 hours now instead of every 36, so her transit time and motility are definitely increased.  The stools are perfectly normal raw fed poops chock full of fur, but I think  the increase in frequency means the fur is moving out more quickly, so maybe there is going to be less build up!

Also want to mention something I have worked out about the cyclic nature of the vomiting and why it helps her, even though she rarely brings up any fur.  I don't think I've ever mentioned (or maybe I have) how forceful the contractions are when she vomits.  It is NOT regurgitation, even though it happens right after she eats.  Her body has quite strong and repetitive spasms before the food is ejected.

I think that these contractions not only are bringing up the food but are forcing the fur that is causing it, that is blocking the other exit, the pylorus to start moving through.  THAT'S why it's cyclic, and only happens once, every 7 days or so. (with some variation of course)

In the past, her longer spans led to more vomiting, because the longer span led to a bigger build up of the fur.  But now...with the increased motility/transit time, the longer spans are becoming more frequent, AND, since there appears to be less fur built up, she doesn't need three more days of puking to force the pyloric emptying. The one time is enough.

Hope that makes sense, it's a new thought, but I am sure I am on the right track here.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #377 on: February 24, 2019, 04:03:37 PM »
As I mentioned...her last longer span (16 days) did not result in another 2-4 days of vomiting.  Also, she is pooping every 24 hours now instead of every 36, so her transit time and motility are definitely increased.  The stools are perfectly normal raw fed poops chock full of fur, but I think  the increase in frequency means the fur is moving out more quickly, so maybe there is going to be less build up!

Cool!  I hope you're right about the reduction in fur build-up!   fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #378 on: March 14, 2019, 04:09:53 PM »
Mazy cat's next check up is March 29.  Not quite 6 months since her last blood work but...she's getting a bit of an old lady look around her face that worries me, and her coughing is a bit more frequent.

The last x rays did show signs of asthma so it may be time to think about treatment. The IBD group recommends altenative treatment - krill oil and curcumin. Which would mean a lot more pilling 4 times extra a day I think, plus I worry about her reactions internally.

Vet wants me to do albuterol inhaler treatments which I cannot afford and do not think Mazy cat would accept. 

The other alternative is steroids.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #379 on: March 14, 2019, 04:36:12 PM »
 Hug1
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #380 on: March 14, 2019, 05:27:39 PM »
I made a reference to this in another thread but want to keep everything Mazy cat related here.  Lately I notice she goes into a deep sleep sometimes and if I speak her name she startles upon waking. Not sure what that is all about but I'm keeping an eye on it.  She is almost 15. But after losing Jennie so quickly, I can't rid myself of worry about Mazy cat.

Anyone have any ideas about why she might be startling like that?

I was wondering if she's lost a little hearing, so doesn't hear more subtle sounds of me moving around that normally might wake her before I speak to her?

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #381 on: March 14, 2019, 06:48:37 PM »
Loss of hearing. 
Sensitive.
Stress or anxiety related to the passing of Jennie maybe.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #382 on: March 14, 2019, 06:51:40 PM »
Loss of hearing. 
Sensitive.
Stress or anxiety related to the passing of Jennie maybe.

OH! I hadn't thought of that. I do remember saying a while back that Mazy cat didn't seem too affected, but that she is deep and I would be watching her carefully. Thanks for that input.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #383 on: March 14, 2019, 09:09:25 PM »
I've done a bit of testing. No sign of any reduction in her hearing ability.  I think you may be right Lola..about Jennie's leaving.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #384 on: March 15, 2019, 09:27:58 AM »
Good to hear (no pun intended) that Mazy passed your hearing test.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #385 on: March 15, 2019, 09:47:16 AM »
Good to hear (no pun intended) that Mazy passed your hearing test.

funny2 funny2

I'm glad too.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #386 on: March 15, 2019, 01:46:11 PM »
Nothing to add, just listening . . .  Hug1
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #387 on: March 16, 2019, 03:22:24 PM »
Another hearing test...I was on the couch watching my dvd and I stretched my legs and my knee popped a little. It was only a tiny crackle, but apparently sound asleep Mazy cat heard it and woke up and said "prrrt?" in response.  funny2

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #388 on: March 16, 2019, 04:38:44 PM »
No doubt she can hear!!

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #389 on: March 29, 2019, 08:58:53 AM »
Also want to mention something I have worked out about the cyclic nature of the vomiting and why it helps her, even though she rarely brings up any fur.  I don't think I've ever mentioned (or maybe I have) how forceful the contractions are when she vomits.  It is NOT regurgitation, even though it happens right after she eats.  Her body has quite strong and repetitive spasms before the food is ejected.

I think that these contractions not only are bringing up the food but are forcing the fur that is causing it, that is blocking the other exit, the pylorus to start moving through.  THAT'S why it's cyclic, and only happens once, every 7 days or so. (with some variation of course)

In the past, her longer spans led to more vomiting, because the longer span led to a bigger build up of the fur.  But now...with the increased motility/transit time, the longer spans are becoming more frequent, AND, since there appears to be less fur built up, she doesn't need three more days of puking to force the pyloric emptying. The one time is enough.

Hope that makes sense, it's a new thought, but I am sure I am on the right track here.

I am so glad for this thread.  I'd forgotten all about this theory, and I do think it is true.  Mazy cat's last long span was 12 days, and again, she did not continue to puke for 3 or 4 days after. Before the 12 day span she did have shorter spans 4 days, 5 days, 5 days. But that's not unusual especially this time of year.  It's those 10 days or more that I watch for and they ARE coming more foten, and she is not having the former consequences.

Mazy cat had her 6 month check up today.  I agonized and agonized over the rabies vaccination.  she is almost 15.  I KNOW she doesn't need one, and I could do a titer instead.  But my state does not recognize titer as proof of immunity. With Mazy cat's bite history, I just feel I can't risk her being unprotected.  If she were to bite someone at the vet during an examination or treatment (which has happened a few times), without current rabies, they would have to quarantine her, in a cage, for 4 weeks, up to a maximum of 6 months. That's the law, and around here this law is taken very very seriously. So I did the 3 year purevax.  It's the last one she will ever have, she is close to 15 years old and if she makes it another three years..well I'll just have to risk it then. Frankly, I didn't expect, given her problems, I was going to be faced with this, after her last rabies shot, but here she is still going strong, still healthy as anything with the exception of the vomiting and the liver values

But, vet and tech kept marveling over her age, and incredible condition.  Well of course that's the raw diet. But I don't say that any more I just nod and say yeah, she's like a cat half her age at home.

Vet liked my stories about Mazy cat sleeping in Jennie's bed and keeping to only one side.  (It happened again last night)

When the tech went to get a towel to wrap around Mazy cat she brought a big fluffy one with butterflies on it. She said she chose that one because she hoped the butterflies would help Mazy cat feel relaxed and free.

Mazy cat did very well, lots of growling, but didn't try to bite, because they didn't try to look in her mouth.  I'll hear about the blood work next week. Anal glands were very full and thick on the left, the right not quite as bad.

Regarding the asthma, we talked about it in depth and the vet gave me clear directions on watch to watch for, and so far I am not seeing ANY of those signs.  She thinks the coughing may be more of a reflux than asthma related.  So I'm thinking, if I do see an increase, I might increase her SEB instead of worrying about steroids or other anti-inflammatories.

Tags: