Author Topic: Making bone broth - Look at this largesse!  (Read 12288 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Making bone broth - Look at this largesse!
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2016, 12:04:17 AM »
That's GREAT to hear!

Calcium DOES play a big part of digestion. Maybe that's it. She needed a different source of calcium?
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2016, 12:17:16 AM »
That could be part of it Dee.  I do think though a large part is the healing and bonding properties, plugging up any holes in her intestines.  The collagen, which contains l-glutamine, is  very healing to the gut. So I have been told.  Now I am witnessing it. She is most definitely absorbing more nutrients since her poops are half the size they used to be.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2016, 10:03:52 PM »
That is WONDERFUL news!  Thank you for sharing!  multistars multistars

Another benefit to the bone broth is that the minerals it contains are more easily absorbed.  So in addition to it helping her body absorb what she's eating, it's also giving her additional nutrients in a very absorbable way.   thumbsup1  Does she like the broth?

Maybe a reduction in the frequency of regurgitation episodes is next. I never give up hoping, anyway.

Never give up.  Always keep hoping.  Crossing paws . . .  fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2016, 08:07:47 PM »
I've been meaning to edit these clips into a good video.  Ended up throwing them together tonight for someone in the Raw Feeding for IBD group so here it is.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2016, 09:19:53 PM »
 DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy

Question:  why do you hand feed instead of her eating straight from the bowl?  Is it to keep her from eating too fast?  Just wondered.   :)
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2016, 05:08:59 AM »
Thanks Pookie.

Question:  why do you hand feed instead of her eating straight from the bowl?  Is it to keep her from eating too fast?  Just wondered.

Several reasons.

1st, that's how we started, with the bone broth and meat when she has having the mouth problem last summer and couldn't eat on her own at all.

Second, since she loves being hand fed, and I love doing it, it's become a special bonding ritual each day.

And third, because she doesn't eat any other solid food and I want to control how large of a sliver she takes at each swallow.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2016, 06:14:08 PM »
I understand loving to hand feed.  With that said.... of my 6, no one has yet to put too big of a piece of meat in his/her mouth at one time.  (knock on wood) That MIGHT be something you don't have to worry about. 

BTW your broth looks DELICIOUS! 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2016, 07:01:27 PM »
I understand loving to hand feed.  With that said.... of my 6, no one has yet to put too big of a piece of meat in his/her mouth at one time.  (knock on wood) That MIGHT be something you don't have to worry about. 

BTW your broth looks DELICIOUS! 

Yes but we are talking about Mazy cat here. :)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2016, 08:37:19 PM »
Turkey carcass is in the crockpot. It's making us all stay hungry.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2016, 08:05:19 AM »
Oh Goody Dee!  I've decided not to use my turkey breast carcass in my next bone broth for myself.  I couldn't find a frozen breast on the bone that wasn't "enhanced".  When roasted in the oven, this isn't too much of a problem.  But since I did it in the slow cooker it kind of marinated in that "solution" for 8 hours.  I don't care for the smell of it, and the taste was too strong also.  I will use the meat anyway, but I don't want a whole batch of soup stock tasking like that stuff.  Bletch.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2016, 11:09:41 AM »
I couldn't find a frozen breast on the bone that wasn't "enhanced". 

Husband has gotten so used to me preaching about GMOs that he actually got a Butterball Premium, so I didn't have a problem keeping the carcass for the boys. I kept all the broth from it and just put the whole of the leftover contents into the crockpot with some apple cider vinegar, a bit of garlic and celery into it for flavoring for them.

24 hours, 12 hours was on high, is long enough, isn't it? Or should I cook it longer?

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2016, 08:11:42 PM »
Whole turkeys not enhanced are easy.  I cannot find turkey breast on the bone that is not enhanced.  I cut the rest of the meat off it tonight and I think I will save the bones for my soup after all.  I don't use it for Mazy cat's broth, I only use her Cornish hens for that, I just ordered some more form Rocky Mountain Organic Meats.  I try to time orders with cold weather, but darn it I just checked the weather and of course now it is supposed to be warm next week.  How annoying.  I need them though, it can't be helped.

I cook for 24 hours when making bone broth. Most of the bone has disintegrated by then.  don't forget the ACV!

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2016, 08:40:38 PM »

I cook for 24 hours when making bone broth. Most of the bone has disintegrated by then.  don't forget the ACV!

It's been about 27 hours now, and I've just noticed that the bones are starting to be able to crush easily with a spoon. I think I'll let it keep on going until tomorrow.

ACV--first thing I put into the pot!  :D

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
what went wrong?!
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2016, 04:41:02 PM »
Why didn't my bone broth gel?  I used the same components: one whole Cornish hen and the bones of another.  I cooked it the same abut of time, at first, then longer when I saw it wasn't thickening up, total almost 30 hours.

I have the same amount to finish up with, so the water added is not more. The bones were cooked to crumbling, many completely disintegrated.

The ONLY difference is, I did it in the slow cooker.  >:( >:( >:(

Thing is, the first time I used the slow cooker I made my own soup.  Since I had the slow cooker I went ahead and let it run for 24 hours.  When I do it stove top and let it run only 8-9 hours I get a really lovely aspic.  My soup, 24 hours in the slow cooker, it did not gel. And there were a LOT of bones.  I shrugged it off thinking I must have used more water than I thought.

But here I am with Mazy cat's Cornish hen broth and it is not aspic at all, AND it is a different color.  Not that lovely white pure stuff from my last batch.  Even the fat is thin and drippy instead of thick and formed on top.

So why does the slow cooker make it come out different?

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2016, 08:30:52 PM »

So why does the slow cooker make it come out different?

I have absolutely no clue b/c I used the crockpot to make mine at Thanksgiving.

But there's this. STILL doesn't tell me which of the 3 it is for sure:  http://www.foodrenegade.com/why-your-bone-broth-doesnt-gel/

Tags: bone broth