Author Topic: Diatomaceous Earth to Kill Fleas?  (Read 1683 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Diatomaceous Earth to Kill Fleas?
« on: September 05, 2016, 10:37:48 AM »
I was Googling to see if Food Grade DE would will kill fleas (not for me...thank GOODNESS) and not harm dogs or cats.  Found this article.  Thoughts?

Diatomaceous earth is extremely effective for killing fleas that are hiding in carpets, either in your home or even outside where your pets might enjoy taking a rest. If you don’t have any carpets, it can also be used on hardwood floors as a very effective way to kill off any flea infestations that may have found its way into your life.

http://www.thebugsquad.com/fleas/diatomaceous-earth-fleas/
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Diatomaceous Earth to Kill Fleas?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 04:41:06 PM »
It's a great killer and I put a circle of it around the house on the edge of the house every year to keep away ants, and I know a lot of people that use it directly on their pets.

Problem is, it soaks up skin oils just like it soaks up all the liquid from the insects it kills (honey bees too if used liberally outdoors)--dry, flaky skin anyone?

Also, it's highly irritating if you inhale it or get it in other mucous membranes. So eye and face protection is necessary.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 05:02:01 PM »
I use it to fight ants.  I have to use it a lot more than once a year though!
Never used it for fleas.  Haven't had to...Thank goodness.  I was just curious if anyone here had used it to fight fleas, and if they had any pointers.
BTW, the article did mention not putting it directly on pets. 
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 11:05:23 PM by Lola »

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 07:00:51 PM »

BTW, the article did mention not putting it directly on pets. 

There are umpteen youtubes out there showing people using DE on their pets. I just wanted to make sure people that might Google it knew what it can do.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 07:06:43 PM »
I always have a jug of it handy.  I used to dust it all over my car after being at my mother's, let it sit at least 24 hours, then go to the car wash and vacuum it all out.

I also use it in my yard, more to keep the ticks out than fleas though.  Since I don't take the cats out any more I don't worry about ticks quite as much, but I don't want to take any chances so I continue to dust out there periodically.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 11:08:39 PM »
There are umpteen youtubes out there showing people using DE on their pets. I just wanted to make sure people that might Google it knew what it can do.

I was just rambling about the info being in the article.  Hope I didn't sound poopy.  I DEFINITELY appreciate you mentioning something so important!!

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 03:18:10 PM »
I was just rambling about the info being in the article.  Hope I didn't sound poopy.  I DEFINITELY appreciate you mentioning something so important!!

Of course you didn't sound "poopy!" I just worry about strangers not doing enough research to find those warnings, and then I get scared.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2016, 12:08:08 AM »
I just worry about strangers not doing enough research to find those warnings, and then I get scared.

You are absolutely right!  It is pretty common for people to NOT click on links and read ALL info.   thumbsup1 thumbsup1