Author Topic: Not Sure How I Missed This--Zuke's Dog Food  (Read 800 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Not Sure How I Missed This--Zuke's Dog Food
« on: December 16, 2016, 03:37:48 PM »
Remember when I had a hissy-fit over Zukes selling out to Purina and losing my favorite training treats? Well somehow I missed the info-sheet that says that Zukes is now making food too:

https://www.zukes.com/dog-food

Remember recently it was noticed that Merrick's treat bags had changed from:

"Quality Assured. Safely USA Made. Dog Approved,"
to
"Quality Assured. Safely USA Made. With The World's Best Ingredients?"    http://parenting-furkids.com/index.php?topic=4641.msg34118#msg34118

Well lo' and behold! Guess what it says on Zuke's dog food bags? "Crafted in the USA. Using the Earth's Best Ingredients." Same Marketing and might as well be the same brand.

Zukes has 3 crunchy blends and 3 tender blends with some novel proteins to veer away from the main crowd. I'm not sure what their "Quick-dried, Nature Lock," actually means, but, in my mind, it's still no better than Ol' Roy. Just like every other processed, dry food, it has "added vitamins and minerals" (small print on right-bottom of bag front), so that has to mean that they still killed a lot of what a dog needs in their processing. What they killed had to be added back to make it follow the holy-grail of guidelines--AAFCO.

They've also added a lot to their treat-line and off the bat, they sound great, but like the mobility treats, they're minimal in active ingredients when it comes to truly being a benefit once a dog gets older. They've also made sure to add the newly-buzzing supplements of the past couple of years--coconut oil and turmeric.

All I can think is that they'd be on the right track if it weren't Purina hiding behind a sell-out.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Tags: