Author Topic: Roxy's Vet Visit Today  (Read 6137 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: Roxy - Vaccinations
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2017, 10:49:24 PM »
I know I have been a rambling idiot all day.  I would apologize, but the odds are I am not going to change.  The only way to not share my freaking out on a day at the vet... stay off the computer. 

You are NOT rambling!  You're a concerned mommy and you need to share what's going on with your furkid.  We ALL do it.  And I appreciate the updates.

I'm glad she's home and doing well.  I hope your stress has gone down now that she's home.  Like MC asked, did you keep her in the room or let her out?
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2017, 12:20:38 AM »
I'm glad to hear her dental went well! I understand why you want someone that knows what they're doing. That would be like taking a kid to an ophthalmologist for braces.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2017, 01:26:50 AM »
How's Roxy doing?  Is she on pain meds?

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2017, 01:54:09 PM »
I didn't lock her in a room with me.  Well, I did... but she was SO not happy.  I let her out.  I just changed rooms, when she did. 
Administrating meds was rough.  I hope I got more in her then on her!  Since the surgery was done on the left side, that was the side I was "shooting" for. 
No matter how "easy" it should be... the fact that cats have teeth that can bite through bone... makes me VERY nervous.  I almost just took her to an ER vet and asked them if I could pay them to give her the meds.
Roxy isn't a cat that is handled very much.  Pets are okay, but her enjoyment stops there.  A professional cat handler would have done a much better job!  :)

She seems to be doing well.  It was a long 3 days. For me AND her.   Silly7
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2017, 02:05:41 PM »
 Hug1 Hug1 Hug1 Hug1 Hug1

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2017, 02:38:12 PM »
I didn't lock her in a room with me.  Well, I did... but she was SO not happy.  I let her out.  I just changed rooms, when she did. 
Administrating meds was rough.  I hope I got more in her then on her!  Since the surgery was done on the left side, that was the side I was "shooting" for. 
No matter how "easy" it should be... the fact that cats have teeth that can bite through bone... makes me VERY nervous.  I almost just took her to an ER vet and asked them if I could pay them to give her the meds.
Roxy isn't a cat that is handled very much.  Pets are okay, but her enjoyment stops there.  A professional cat handler would have done a much better job!  :)

She seems to be doing well.  It was a long 3 days. For me AND her.   Silly7

What kind of meds?  You mean pain meds?  What was it?  Most are only squirted straight into the mouth.  They only have to hit the membranes, tongue, gums, it doesn't matter. Not meant to be swallowed, they are absorbed sublingual. Sounds like you were giving pills though?

Glad it's all over, anyway!

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2017, 03:02:29 PM »
I was squirting Buprenex into her mouth.  NO, not to the back of her throat.  Just in case that is your next question.  :) 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2017, 03:06:19 PM »
 thumbsup1 thumbsup1

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Roxy's Vet Visit
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2017, 06:51:44 PM »
A little Roxy background...

When she joined the family, she wasn't exactly thrilled with us.  She would take swipes at us, when we pet her.  Picking her up was totally out of the question.  We could if we needed to for some reason, but not just pick her up to pick her up... she would slice us and dice us in a nano second.  And growl... gosh she could growl! 

We respected her boundaries... to a point.   Silly7  We would give her short quick pets and talk to her every day.  Eventually, she tolerated us.  Once in a blue moon, she would sit in hubby's lap.  Very rare. 

Time moved on and things got better.  Never lovey dovey, but better. 

Recently she has changed a lot.  She joins us OFTEN in whatever room we are in.  She talks to us, instead of yelling.   Silly7  She even came around when we had company the other day.  She has been enjoying the outside enclosure... even while other cats are out there.  She rarely went out before.  BUT...The biggie....drumroll.... she head-butted me the other day and head-butted hubby this morning! 

Today it "hit" me... I bet she FEELS better!  Was it her teeth?

No, I am not going to beat myself up for having a cat for so long that likely had issues.  In my defense (if there is one), we were told she was never a friendly cat.  We ASSuMEd her behavior was normal for her.

Yes, I did take her to the vet (not one we ever see now) when we got her....but not again until recently.  You can hate me for that.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 06:59:46 PM by Lola »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Re: Roxy's Vet Visit Today
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2017, 09:31:05 PM »
It can make an incredible difference for a cat. It is possible she's had something bothering her that had gone unnoticed until this dental.  Not your fault

The good news is she's beginning to realize how wonderful it can be to have humans at her beck and call!

You both must have been absolutely THRILLED with the head bumps!

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Re: Roxy's Vet Visit Today
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2017, 02:49:14 PM »
The good news is she's beginning to realize how wonderful it can be to have humans at her beck and call!

You both must have been absolutely THRILLED with the head bumps!

What MC said.   :D

Tags: