Author Topic: Catgirl64's Journey To Raw Feeding  (Read 27650 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Catgirl64's Journey To Raw Feeding
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2017, 06:40:21 AM »
I am just leaving for work but saw your post as I was about to shut down.  One thing you need to remember is that cats are emotional barometers.  You are freaking out, which, in turn causes them to freak out.

Can you go out for a walk, and try to calm down.

Stop offering so many options of food.

Choose one thing, canned? dish it out into a few plates and put it down and leave it.  Somewhere the dogs can't get at it. Then go out for a while.

No dry.

Have you made the bone broth yet?

Please forgive me for asking, but I wonder if your housemate is sneaking them some kind of food behind your back.

This is all I have time for now, but I am thinking of you and them xxxxxx

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2017, 10:04:43 AM »
I'm so sorry to hear that, Catgirl. Maybe MC, Pookie, or Lola will have some hints for you. You KNOW the vet is going to blame it on "raw" food though. Right? Be prepared for that and to be told you need "this prescription diet" for whatever reason.

Make sure to STRESS that they started going off their food BEFORE you decided to go back to real food for them.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2017, 11:27:49 AM »
I am just leaving for work but saw your post as I was about to shut down.  One thing you need to remember is that cats are emotional barometers.  You are freaking out, which, in turn causes them to freak out.

Can you go out for a walk, and try to calm down.

Stop offering so many options of food.

Choose one thing, canned? dish it out into a few plates and put it down and leave it.  Somewhere the dogs can't get at it. Then go out for a while.

No dry.

Have you made the bone broth yet?

Please forgive me for asking, but I wonder if your housemate is sneaking them some kind of food behind your back.

This is all I have time for now, but I am thinking of you and them xxxxxx

Trying to take my mind off it.  I can't really leave, because my housemate is sick in bed, and may need me.  No way is she sneaking them anything.  She would not sabotage what I'm trying to do, even if she's not interested in doing it herself.

Okay, I'll take away everything but canned, and see what happens.  I have to get them to eat something today.  I don't care what. 

I made the bone broth, it's in the refrigerator.  I hope it's still okay to use.  I thought it tasted awful.  I guess because of no salt. 

Got interrupted writing this.  Housemate called for ambulance and has gone to the hospital.  It's probably better, I think she needs to be on fluids.  I feel bad not going with her, but there's a bad bug going around here, and I do not want it.  One of us has to stay well. 

« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 11:46:04 AM by Catgirl64 »

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2017, 12:21:49 PM »

I made the bone broth, it's in the refrigerator.  I hope it's still okay to use.  I thought it tasted awful.  I guess because of no salt. 

Got interrupted writing this.  Housemate called for ambulance and has gone to the hospital.  It's probably better, I think she needs to be on fluids.  I feel bad not going with her, but there's a bad bug going around here, and I do not want it.  One of us has to stay well. 

Bone broth and grass-fed beef gelatin always taste awful to me. The dogs love both of them though. They like gelatin cubes in summer. If I have any, I use the bloody liquid that runs out of their meat in it.

It seems to be some strain other than what was in the flu shots this year. The people we know that have the flu had the shot back in October. This flu map I saw in FB last night is better than the CDC weekly one. You can actually put in your zipcode and get information back:

http://www.mucinex.com/cold-and-flu-map/
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2017, 12:50:42 PM »
Bone broth and grass-fed beef gelatin always taste awful to me. The dogs love both of them though. They like gelatin cubes in summer. If I have any, I use the bloody liquid that runs out of their meat in it.

It seems to be some strain other than what was in the flu shots this year. The people we know that have the flu had the shot back in October. This flu map I saw in FB last night is better than the CDC weekly one. You can actually put in your zipcode and get information back:

http://www.mucinex.com/cold-and-flu-map/

She had the shot, she always gets it, but I've heard it's not terribly effective this year, and she was at an anniversary party Saturday night that was wall-to-wall people.  Moderate to severe in our county. 

Good to know that flavor isn't how you judge bone broth.  If it was, I'd be tossing this batch.   :-[

Update:  Just got a call from J.  Flu.  They told her the shot was only about 10% effective this year. 
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 01:11:30 PM by Catgirl64 »

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2017, 01:09:19 PM »
Oh my gosh! No wonder you are feeling so stressed!  Is there any change since this morning, regarding the cats eating?

I am, again, in a rush, only home for lunch and checking in for updates.

You mentioned the other day you had a cold, so it really wouldn't be a good idea for you to go to the hospital anyway.

How is Lucy?  Have you tried hand feeding?

I don't know what to say about the bone broth.  I always think the cats' broth is delicious, plain as it is.

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2017, 01:17:19 PM »
Oh my gosh! No wonder you are feeling so stressed!  Is there any change since this morning, regarding the cats eating?

I am, again, in a rush, only home for lunch and checking in for updates.

You mentioned the other day you had a cold, so it really wouldn't be a good idea for you to go to the hospital anyway.

How is Lucy?  Have you tried hand feeding?

I don't know what to say about the bone broth.  I always think the cats' broth is delicious, plain as it is.

Lucy is still a little quiet - not acting sick at all, just not her usual talkative self - but she apparently did eat something when I was not looking, because she just pooped.  She is not interested in being hand-fed.  I've never had a cat that was.

I probably over-boiled the broth.  Is it still safe, do you think?  It's cloudy, but I think that is from the skin.  I don't think I should have put that in there. 
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 01:25:57 PM by Catgirl64 »

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2017, 03:31:16 PM »
I think the skin is fine, the fat is good for them.My bone broth is cloudy too. It may be the start and stop why you cooked it has affected the flavor, but I really don't know.  Did it gel?

How is everyone tonight?  Have they eaten? Are you feeling any better, less stressed?
You'll feel better when you have the scale, because when you monitor their weight you will know for sure if they are getting enough.

Any news on your housemate?

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2017, 07:48:07 PM »
You may want to join a raw group for a wider range of help.

I recommend this one:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/grouprawpet/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2017, 09:31:15 PM »
Just out of curiosity, is Lucy "close" to your roommate?  Or maybe more sensitive to what's going on with the humans in the household than the other kitties?  I'm just wondering if maybe she was sensing your roommate's illness and the stress was affecting her in some way.

MC gave you a lot of good advice, esp. about cats being emotional barometers.  If I was stressed, Pookie was stressed (including barfing if I was really worked up about something  :().  Over time, I caught on that he was sensitive to my stress and had force myself to talk in a cheery voice, even if I didn't feel that way.  I think it helped, and it might even have helped me to calm down a bit, because it's hard (at least for me) to talk in a perky voice when you're upset without it eventually easing your mood.  So as hard as it is, try talking in a normal voice, or whatever voice you usually use with them, and try to stick with your usual routine.  Play music that soothes you.  Bringing your tension down might help all of you.  It certainly won't hurt.

You have a lot going on, trying to switch them to raw, finding a scale to use, a sick roommate . . . all of these things may be affecting you more than you realize, and they may be picking up on that.  Which, if you're like me, adds to the stress (oh no, I'm stressing so now they're stressing . . .)  Deep breaths, soothing music, stick to your routine . . . things like that a worth shot.  And they may have been picking up on your roomie's stress (from being sick) as well.

Keep telling yourself:  everything's ok.  Everything's ok.  Everything's ok . . . .

Sending purrs . . . GoodVibes GoodVibes GoodVibes  Hug1
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 10:08:26 PM by Pookie »
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2017, 03:24:22 AM »
I think the skin is fine, the fat is good for them.My bone broth is cloudy too. It may be the start and stop why you cooked it has affected the flavor, but I really don't know.  Did it gel?

How is everyone tonight?  Have they eaten? Are you feeling any better, less stressed?
You'll feel better when you have the scale, because when you monitor their weight you will know for sure if they are getting enough.

Any news on your housemate?

It gelled.  Could be stop and start, but I have often done this with stock I made for myself, and never had a problem with it.  Probably less skin and fat in that, though, and it's often made with what's left from a roasted bird.  The last time I made stock for myself, I used no skin at all, and it was crystal-clear for the first time ever, so I suspect that.

They've nibbled, but seem to be okay.  The scale will help a lot, I think.

I'm still stressed, but relieved that J is in good hands, so maybe less stressed?  I talked to her a couple of times yesterday, but not for long, as she didn't feel up to it.  She probably should have gone to the doctor Monday, but she thought she could just ride it out.

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2017, 03:43:03 AM »
Just out of curiosity, is Lucy "close" to your roommate?  Or maybe more sensitive to what's going on with the humans in the household than the other kitties?  I'm just wondering if maybe she was sensing your roommate's illness and the stress was affecting her in some way.

MC gave you a lot of good advice, esp. about cats being emotional barometers.  If I was stressed, Pookie was stressed (including barfing if I was really worked up about something  :().  Over time, I caught on that he was sensitive to my stress and had force myself to talk in a cheery voice, even if I didn't feel that way.  I think it helped, and it might even have helped me to calm down a bit, because it's hard (at least for me) to talk in a perky voice when you're upset without it eventually easing your mood.  So as hard as it is, try talking in a normal voice, or whatever voice you usually use with them, and try to stick with your usual routine.  Play music that soothes you.  Bringing your tension down might help all of you.  It certainly won't hurt.

You have a lot going on, trying to switch them to raw, finding a scale to use, a sick roommate . . . all of these things may be affecting you more than you realize, and they may be picking up on that.  Which, if you're like me, adds to the stress (oh no, I'm stressing so now they're stressing . . .)  Deep breaths, soothing music, stick to your routine . . . things like that a worth shot.  And they may have been picking up on your roomie's stress (from being sick) as well.

Keep telling yourself:  everything's ok.  Everything's ok.  Everything's ok . . . .

Sending purrs . . . GoodVibes GoodVibes GoodVibes  Hug1

No, no particular attachment between Lucy and housemate.  I would say she's mostly indifferent.  She's polite to her - all of my cats are - but they are definitely my cats.  I do have one, Jeoffry, who is very sensitive to the needs of others, but he doesn't stress over anything, he just cuddles whoever needs cuddling.  He is seriously the friendliest, most laid-back cat I have ever seen.

Honestly, I think all of this started when I brought home some canned food that, for some reason, they just could not tolerate.  It has been returned and replaced. 

I'm still nervous, but am starting to think that they will probably be okay. 

As for how it is all affecting me, I know it is.  I already have some things going on - depression and anxiety - that make me particularly susceptible to worry.  The cats normally are a wonderful antidote for both, but I am always acutely aware of being responsible for their well-being, and any hint that I am failing in that regard is a bit overwhelming.   

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2017, 04:41:09 AM »
 Hug1 Hug1 Hug1

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2017, 04:48:19 AM »
Update.

Just had a call from J's nurse.  She had a fall, but fortunately a CNA was with her and was able to catch her and help lower her to the floor.  She was not injured, thank God.  She is still weak, but her bloodwork is good.  She will probably need to be in hospital another night or two.  Trying to make a good supply of cat food in advance, as my hands will be very full when she comes home.  Probably going to order more Redbarn, too, just in case.  It seems to be their favorite brand. 

Not an update, just a story from yesterday.

They do not hold back around here when you call for an ambulance.  First to arrive were two first responders in what looked like a mini fire truck.  Then the ambulance with three EMTs, accompanied by a police officer who, I do not kid, was 6'8" tall (I asked, when I noticed that is head barely fit under the doorway).  I have no idea why - this is a very safe neighborhood.  Perhaps he was bored.  That was all pretty stressful, too, as J was still in the bathroom and not dressed when the first responders arrived, and I had to ask them to wait while I helped her.  I was so afraid they would get mad about that, and then when a police officer showed up with the EMTs, all I could think was, why are you here, what's wrong?  A cop, for the flu?   

« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 06:10:04 AM by Catgirl64 »

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2017, 04:51:01 AM »

Tags: