Author Topic: Cat Mountain  (Read 1087 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Cat Mountain
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2018, 04:58:38 PM »
I never did get any video of her chasing her tail across the Mountain. I've been looking at some wall units that might be a good substitute for her.

I do have one more story about the Mountain.

I know I've talked about Queen Eva's White Puffs.  Well a while back she lost one and I looked all over the house, daily, hoping it would turn up.  Usually, if I don't find it within a couple of days, suddenly it will turn up, she remembers where she left it maybe.

Anyway, so this Puff had been gone about a week.  I wondered if she'd brought it up on the Mountain, then dropped it down the other side, the wall side, where I coulnd't get.

So then...one night we were playing the Game you see in the video above.  One time at the top she grabbed the stick and took it down toward the other end.  I tried to stop her because I knew what would happen...and sure enough she dropped it..right down to the side I couldn't get to.  I said "Well there you go, now you don't have it any more."

She sat up there and stared at it for a long time.

Then, later that night once I was all settled on the couch with my book, I suddenly heard some rustling, back there.  Mazy cat was on me, so I didn't get up to see, but in a minute or two I saw her trot out from behind there with that missing Puff in her mouth! (I left a skinny cat sized space for exit and entry back there, just in case she ever fell off on that side)

SO! Did dropping the stick toy remind her of where she dropped the Puff?

I will always wonder!

PS I did find a substitute stick to play the Game with.  At first she said it wasn't right, but when I dug up an old straw and stuck it on the end, like the other stick, she said it was good.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2018, 05:48:40 AM »
Queen Eva seemed a little depressed after the Box Spring Mountain left.  However I finally got a clue and realized that that corner offers a whole other side of 'jungle gym' antics.  Usually we play her chase and climb and leap Games (pre-Mountatin) on the living room side of the Play House.  But last night Queen Eva showed me how many other opportunities there are for leaping and climbing on the other side.

We had some great Games last night but she misses the climbing she could do with the Mountain.

So I've been looking for tall scratchers that can be set up next to the book case (where I cleared more space) so she can climb to it.

I've found two

This one is surprisingly cheap and has great reviews except for one and it has the height I want

https://www.chewy.com/midwest-feline-nuvo-grand-forte-41/dp/108188

And the Mondo...

https://www.purrfectpost.com/the-mondo-info/

I think Queen Eva would like the cheap one better, it looks more conducive to climbing, but I am worried about that one review about it breaking.

They prefer sisal fabric rather than rope for scratching which would turn me to the Mondo, but this is mainly for climbing anyway.

I'd really prefer the square one, because Queen Eva likes edges, but it's too short.

https://smile.amazon.com/SmartCat-3832-Ultimate-Scratching-Post/dp/B000634MH8?pd_rd_wg=E7o6A&pd_rd_r=4c9eb382-a746-4cdb-8d44-35da53332d76&pd_rd_w=NrcBS&ref_=pd_gw_simh&pf_rd_r=81FW3B7FPAYYZDMD5P3G&pf_rd_p=b841581f-e864-5164-afa6-4c18a8348879

PS I almost forgot about Wade cat trees.  I'll see if they have anything, later.

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2018, 01:41:09 PM »
I have the Smart Cat one.  It is VERY well made and sturdy.  Lola is the only one that sits on the top of it though.  Our cats prefer sisal rope, so they don't scratch on it a whole lot.  They do more of a stretch and scratch. 
If I was going to buy another one :) I would buy the Mondo... mostly because the top of it looks to be a larger space, and it is a lot taller. 
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 01:45:06 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2018, 03:58:52 PM »
I have the Smart Cat one.  It is VERY well made and sturdy.  Lola is the only one that sits on the top of it though.  Our cats prefer sisal rope, so they don't scratch on it a whole lot.  They do more of a stretch and scratch. 
If I was going to buy another one :) I would buy the Mondo... mostly because the top of it looks to be a larger space, and it is a lot taller. 

Thanks for your input Lola.  I do like the SmartKat, especially because it is square, and Queen Eva likes edges for scratching.  If I had room for it I'd get that for her anyway.  But it's not tall enough for climbing.  What I want right now is something for her to climb up to the bookcase, so we can play the Game we played with the box springs. I don't think the Mondo would work for that, there isn't room for it in that corner and it's too wide.  I think that cheap one, which is the same height as the Mondo, 41 inches, will be perfect, unless it's poor quality.  The reviews say other wise, but still, I worry about her safety./

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2018, 04:38:38 PM »
Go for it.  You only live once! :)
41 inches is high, but not too high for a cat to fall from....worse case scenario. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags:

'Hare