Author Topic: By-Products. . .  (Read 570 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
By-Products. . .
« on: January 02, 2018, 04:27:51 PM »
Dr. Marty Becker will never find me retweeting or promoting anything he ever says EVER again! I'm no longer going to follow him anywhere.

http://truthaboutpetfood.com/purina-says-by-products-are-nutrient-rich/

A consumer recently sent me some marketing material put out by Purina. This is the perfect example to how words can be twisted combined with lack of information provided to consumers results in misleading information.

The Purina article is titled “What are animal by-products in dog food?” And it starts off with this video…

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: By-Products. . .
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 11:05:55 AM »
I don't have the stomach for anything Purina today... I'll have to take your word for it. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 11:07:21 AM »
I did click on the link though...

Purina turns to Dr. Marty Becker (no relation to Dr. Karen Becker) for explanation. Dr. Marty Becker tells consumers that by-products are “organ meats”. Dr. Marty Becker’s definition of by-products is only partially correct (Purina should have asked Dr. Karen Becker for the answer…she would have told the complete truth). Only one type of by-products would consist of mainly organ meats, but all other types of by-products could include many other parts of an animal.
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 01:07:35 PM »
My understanding, I think from Dr. Hodgkins' book, was that by-products including various parts of the animal including parts that are generally inedible, like (chicken) beaks, claws, that sort of thing.  If I remember correctly, she didn't consider them "bad," just not necessarily a great source of protein.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Tags: