Author Topic: Dr Karen Becker - beware of chain vets  (Read 596 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Dr Karen Becker - beware of chain vets
« on: January 05, 2018, 08:42:17 AM »
For starters, conventional veterinarians are taught to follow the Western model of reactive medicine in which treating illness, rather than maintaining wellness is the goal. Following this model means that when disease inevitably strikes, drugs and/or surgery are often the only treatments available, and when those don’t work, pet parents are left with no options.

Preventive medicine” in conventional veterinary terms typically means lots of vaccinations and chemical pest preventives, which can and often do have serious side effects. The only nutrition advice many vets offer promotes low-quality processed pet food (which is frequently sold right out of their lobbies).

Bolds are mine, but I just think these things cannot be emphasized enough

https://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2018/01/05/conventional-veterinary-program-problems.aspx?utm_source=petsnl&utm_medium=email&utm_content=art1&utm_campaign=20180105Z1&et_cid=DM176472&et_rid=173934894

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Dr Karen Becker - beware of chain vets
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 09:38:34 AM »
I realized while still in vet school that I would need to chart my own course after graduation.

Do you know how she was able to NOT follow "the norm?"  In general, vets aren't allowed to do their own thing... or suffer the consequences.
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 10:47:15 AM »
Do you know how she was able to NOT follow "the norm?"  In general, vets aren't allowed to do their own thing... or suffer the consequences.

I think it's because she's considered a Holistic Vet.

https://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2017/10/08/how-dr-becker-became-holistic-veterinarian.aspx
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 10:58:14 AM »
Thanks, Dee.

In vet school, I knew I wanted to practice integrative veterinary medicine, so I became a licensed animal acupuncturist in 1996 through the International Veterinary Acupuncture Society (IVAS). I graduated vet school in 1997, and took the professional course in veterinary homeopathy in1998.

I opened Natural Pet Animal Hospital in the Chicago area in 1999, which was the first veterinary practice in the midwest to offer proactive veterinary services.
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: