Author Topic: I just killed my food processor.  (Read 6810 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: I just killed my food processor.
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2018, 05:39:55 PM »
bananamiddlechild bananamiddlechild bananamiddlechild bananamiddlechild

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2018, 05:40:51 PM »
I make trips to Aldi for veggies and fruit. Then I'll puree it and put it in gallon freezer bags. Then I have 6 to 8 weeks of puree ready to defrost. Just depends on how much I'm able to find when I go. Pretty much have to eat seasonally if you're buying at Aldi, but it's a lot cheaper for them, and they have a lot of organic compared to other stores.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2018, 06:02:43 PM »
I make trips to Aldi for veggies and fruit. Then I'll puree it and put it in gallon freezer bags. Then I have 6 to 8 weeks of puree ready to defrost. Just depends on how much I'm able to find when I go. Pretty much have to eat seasonally if you're buying at Aldi, but it's a lot cheaper for them, and they have a lot of organic compared to other stores.

We shop at Aldi a lot, but I'm not sure that's the way I will go for my dogs.  For one thing, our local store is a bit limited, in terms of organic.  Also, given the size of my dogs - a Chihuahua and a (rather largish) Pomeranian, I'm not sure I need to make the puree in such large quantities.  This is one area where I may be able to splurge a little bit.  I will get what I can at Aldi, but I'm not counting on it as a sole source.  I have been meaning to ask you if is okay to use some frozen things, as long as it is just the fruit or veg, with nothing added.   

I have plenty of time to work out a strategy for home-made puree.  I still have lots of base mix left at this point.  I think I have a lot to learn about feeding dogs this kind of diet.  When I fed raw before, I did strictly prey-model.   
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 06:06:29 PM by Catgirl64 »

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2018, 06:40:35 PM »
I have been meaning to ask you if is okay to use some frozen things, as long as it is just the fruit or veg, with nothing added.   

I have plenty of time to work out a strategy for home-made puree.  I still have lots of base mix left at this point.  I think I have a lot to learn about feeding dogs this kind of diet.  When I fed raw before, I did strictly prey-model.   

As long as there's no salt or sugar added, frozen is fine. Honestly, I've come home late on my mom's appointment days that I needed to defrost food (but forgot about it before leaving) and used some of our canned food until the next morning. 

Right after Daddy died, during the 1.5 yrs, they ate a lot of canned food thanks to my memory being so sucky. Twice in the past year, they've even had Burger King hamburgers brought home to them for dinner. *gasp*

Life and food doesn't have to be SO rigid that you absolutely can't take shortcuts sometimes. I look at a lot of things like, "Would I have fed the boys this(?)" and the answer is usually, "YES!"
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2018, 08:39:12 PM »
I have been known to drive through McDonalds and get just a hamburger patty for Lacy dog.  Who knows what they add to their meat... or if they do.  BUT a treat doesn't always have to be "perfect."  I probably shouldn't have admitted to that or say this, but....  Lacy dog ate kibble for years.... there isn't much worse than that!! 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2018, 10:21:15 AM »
Did you get all the grinding done?

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2018, 12:19:54 PM »
Did you get all the grinding done?

I got a lot done yesterday, am finishing up now.  I don't think I am going to get beef cheek again.  I'm not sure why, but no one seems to like it very much, even when mixed with bribe food.  There are other cuts of beef that are just as reasonably priced, and with less hard brown fat and stringy connective tissue.  I am glad I got it once, though, because if I had not, I would probably not have the grinder, which I love.  It makes the whole process so much easier!  It will make a difference for the people of the house, as well, as I plan to learn to make sausage and start doing my own ground beef for burgers.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2018, 04:32:08 PM »
To be honest, I had never heard of beef cheek...until you.  Just the name sounds ewwwww.
Glad you are enjoying your grinder!

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2018, 04:54:58 PM »
To be honest, I had never heard of beef cheek...until you.  Just the name sounds ewwwww.

LOL. Not to gross you out, but when son was in the mountains for winter-survival, they had to cook a rabbit to eat. He said he had been starving so much that even at the cheeks out of the thing, and they were GOOD. I don't know about beef cheek. I've never seen any for sale. I'd try it for the boys if I did.

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2018, 01:41:19 AM »
LOL. Not to gross you out, but when son was in the mountains for winter-survival, they had to cook a rabbit to eat. He said he had been starving so much that even at the cheeks out of the thing, and they were GOOD. I don't know about beef cheek. I've never seen any for sale. I'd try it for the boys if I did.

Try Walmart, if you shop there.  They have a small selection of "variety meats," things like beef cheek, tongue, tripe (not the kind dogs eat), ox tails, and other odd bits, occasionally even heart (I'll be jumping on that if I see it again.)  It will probably be at the end of the case where they keep the other beef.  The cheeks I got were in a vacuum pack, and labeled in Spanish.  In the package, they look just like any other really dark red beef.  I know lots of people don't like Walmart, and I honestly don't care for them much, either, but you can sometimes find some interesting things there.  Around Christmas, our local store had pig heads in the freezer case!  No joke - whole pig heads.  I know people use them for various things, but I certainly didn't expect to see them there.

I'm not easily grossed out.  Actually, one of the things I have not had to struggle with that I think bothered a lot of other members starting out is the idea of handling raw meat, including strange animal parts.  It just doesn't bother me, and never has.  I didn't grow up in a family of hunters (I wish now that I had), but my father and I often fished when I was a child (Mom mostly watched), and one of the rules was that I had to bait my own hook, take my own fish off the hook, and at least help him out when he gutted and skinned or scaled and filleted our catch.  I think that experience early in life may have stuck with me, in terms of what makes me squeamish.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 01:54:56 AM by Catgirl64 »

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2018, 02:10:39 AM »
Glad you are enjoying your grinder!

You don't see a lot of them at the grocery store.  I suspect mostly that they go into things like sausage, hot dogs, and other processed meats.  I found them near the tripe and beef tongue.  I know that tripe is used to make menudo, and believe it or not, shredded beef tongue makes a truly amazing taco.  I haven't found a place that serves them here, but I ate them often when I lived in Anchorage.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2018, 02:14:16 AM »
You don't see a lot of them at the grocery store.  I suspect mostly that they go into things like sausage, hot dogs, and other processed meats.  I found them near the tripe and beef tongue.  I know that tripe is used to make menudo, and believe it or not, shredded beef tongue makes a truly amazing taco.  I haven't found a place that serves them here, but I ate them often when I lived in Anchorage.

I think I just threw up a little... Silly7
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 03:23:06 AM by Lola, Reason: added smiley to show sarcasm »

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2018, 02:56:44 AM »

I think I just threw up a little...

Oh, my.  I'm sorry.   :-[  I feel bad for grossing you out.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 03:04:05 AM by Catgirl64 »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2018, 03:22:26 AM »
Oh, my.  I'm sorry.   :-[  I feel bad for grossing you out.

Noooooooooooo!  I edited my other post and added  Silly7 to show I was being a smartazz.   :-*
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 03:24:26 AM by Lola »

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2018, 04:31:44 AM »
How is the grinder to clean Catgiirl?

Tags: