Author Topic: Hare Today is FDA's next target  (Read 1016 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Hare Today is FDA's next target
« on: January 19, 2019, 07:31:33 AM »
From their FB page.  It's not posted on their website.

_tn__=K-R

Hare Today
13 hrs ·

Dear Valued Customers (please share to bring awareness),

I start this newsletter with a heavy but determined heart. As you may know, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is currently targeting Raw Pet Food Manufacturers and Poultry products in particular. This is apparent if you visit the FDA’s website on Raw Pet Food, and I encourage each of you to do so in being informed consumers.
I would also suggest that you view the big picture, from all perspectives, and encourage you to review these additional resources, which I believe, help illustrate the most recent recalls and targeting of Raw Pet Food Manufacturers:

https://healthypets.mercola.com/…/fda-targets-raw-pet-food-…

https://www.avma.org/…/pet-food-safety-recalls-alerts-fully…

Just a few weeks before Christmas, we had an unannounced inspection by the FDA. During our inspection ten (10), one (1) lb. packages of Hare Today Gone Tomorrow’s Ground Chicken/Bones/Organs was collected, along with ten (10), one (1) lb. packages of the Ground Rabbit/Bones/Organs.

On January 15th we received our full analysis lab report on our Ground/Chicken/Bones/Organs, and it was reported that Listeria monocytogenes (L. mono) was detected in one (1) of two (2) composites tested and Salmonella was detected in one (1) of one (1) composite tested. No E. Coli detected in ten (10) of ten (10) subs tested. I did not receive any reporting on our Rabbit, but was informed by the FDA that there was no pathogens discovered.

Let it be noted that the Federal Register regarding Salmonella [9 CFR 310.25(b)(1) Docket No. 04-026N] states that the performance standard by the Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS), USDA (percent positive for Salmonella), which is the Human grade standard for Ground Chicken is 44.6%. This is the baseline standard which guides the testing of Ground Chicken, in this instance. https://www.fsis.usda.gov/…/fea66683-f22a-43d2…/04-026N.pdf…

This fact points to a misleading standard held by the FDA for commercial Raw Pet Foods, which is a higher standard then what is set by USDA-inspected meats (Human grade). In fact, the FDA’s Industry guidance #122 suggests using USDA and FSIS inspected meat/poultry, passed for human consumption, which we did in the instance of our Ground Chicken/Bones/Organs product.

I believe it is important to reference the Federal guidelines which illustrates the baseline standard for Ground Chicken. I agree with the Federal Government taking swift action against products that are unsafe or adulterated, but also that the Federal Government should not take any actions to impose unreasonable regulatory barriers.

It is important to remember that our cats and dogs are carnivores. And as such, they are built to consume raw meats, and they have a much shorter digestive system compared to humans, making them much more tolerant to foodborne pathogens. Of course, it is also important, and part of consumer responsibility, to keep Safe Handling of Raw products a high priority, especially when valuable populations are at hand.

Shortly, I will be issuing our first ever “Voluntary” Recall, which is on our Ground Chicken/Bones/Organs which is identified by the processing date of 12.04.2018 on the back of the product bag. More information to follow. I use quotes around “Voluntary” as I feel as though I was bullied into not being able to disclose all facts which included the Federal Register referenced above, and also the additional resources I provided in this newsletter, which point to the targeting of Raw Pet Food Manufacturers by a certified Veterinarian.

The Raw Pet Food industry needs a public outcry and I believe that the FDA should not be imposing stricter barriers on manufacturers. This experience has been an eye opener for me, and I will continue to advocate for Safe Handling of Raw Meats but also Species Appropriate Diets for our fur babies.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Hare Today is FDA's next target
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 07:33:51 AM »
I don't know why the link won't appear. When I edit, it's there in it's entirety.

https://www.facebook.com/haretoday/?eid=ARBxmxv_CwvFIjrWZNFnaauArxBeFFsRG4h8IX-iJN_bAZWPcpDXFxVJuPBBI3nCEU7KmvVci8J8QFAZ

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: Hare Today is FDA's next target
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 10:01:28 PM »
 >:( >:( >:(   bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Tags: