Author Topic: The Best of the Tide Pods Memes  (Read 2699 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: The Best of the Tide Pods Memes
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2018, 04:42:42 PM »
I'll just tell you what I tell everyone else.. My kids have four paws <3

I used to say something similar (when I had them).  Or . . . I'd say:  "I don't need kids -- I have cats (and parents)."

Do you have a difficult time finding others that feel the same?  You don't have to answer.  :) 

I'm assUming some of the other singles here can answer this, too . . . :)  No one really asks me about it.  Dad used to (did you meet any nice young men at your office?) but hasn't in a while.

It wasn't really a conscious decision for me.  When I was little, I think I assumed I would get married and have kids.  Things didn't work out that way, and I'm fine with it, for the most part (esp. the kids part).  In my mid-20s, the "biological clock" did tick a little bit.  Then my siblings and I went to a July 4th minor league baseball game that was going to include fireworks.  There was a man there with his little boy, probably around 5 or 6, sitting behind us.  Kid ran up and down the cement bleachers or along the seats for at least several innings, and Dad kept having to chase him and put his butt back in his seat.  After we left there that night . . . biological clock was OFF.

I am SO glad my child raising days are over.  I can't imagine....
You can keep your kids safe at home... informed... educated... but there is still soooooo much outside influence. 

I'm so glad I'm NOT a kid today.  The cyber-bullying . . . man, the teasing could be awful back in the "old days" before the electronics.  Now?  You can't get away from it.  But yeah, I've thought that, too -- I'd hate to be a parent in today's world.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 09:11:30 PM by Pookie »
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2018, 02:00:21 PM »
I used to say something similar (when I had them).  Or . . . I'd say:  "I don't need kids -- I have cats (and parents)."

I'm assUming some of the other singles here can answer this, too . . . :)  No one really asks me about it.  Dad used to (did you meet any nice young men at your office?) but hasn't in a while.

It wasn't really a conscious decision for me.  When I was little, I think I assumed I would get married and have kids.  Things didn't work out that way, and I'm fine with it, for the most part (esp. the kids part).  In my mid-20s, the "biological clock" did tick a little bit.  Then my siblings and I went to a July 4th minor league baseball game that was going to include fireworks.  There was a man there with his little boy, probably around 5 or 6, sitting behind us.  Kid ran up and down the cement bleachers or along the seats for at least several innings, and Dad kept having to chase him and put his butt back in his seat.  After we left there that night . . . biological clock was OFF.

I'm so glad I'm NOT a kid today.  The cyber-bullying . . . man, the teasing could be awful back in the "old days" before the electronics.  Now?  You can't get away from it.  But yeah, I've thought that, too -- I'd hate to be a parent in today's world.

Ha.  I wanted lots of kids...when I WAS a kid.  I think this was mostly the result of being an only child and hating it.  Other than that, I think my biological clock was broken at the factory, because I never had kids, never panicked about not having kids, and have no regrets whatsoever.  I don't dislike children, but they are just more responsibility, both physically and emotionally, than I wanted to take on.  That sounds horribly selfish when I put it into words, but I feel a lot better about it when I see how many people there are with kids who probably should have remained childless.

I would love to find a partner, a true soulmate, but I think I've reached the point where I can live happily, or at least contentedly, even if I do not.  It's not easy to find a guy who wants his woman to be a "crazy cat lady."  *sigh*
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 02:02:56 PM by Catgirl64 »

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2018, 02:15:19 PM »
It's not easy to find a guy who wants his woman to be a "crazy cat lady."  *sigh*

The past couple of years, hubs has been saying something about, "IF we ever get any others after these." I don't think he understands at all (Though he should since I've always had a dog and actually brought a dog into the marriage.) that I don't think I can live without a dog. Yeah. I can tame the breed down a bit as far as alpha type breeds go, I can even lower the size if I need to, but I don't think I can do without one, and I think they deserve at least one of their own species in the house with them.

And honestly, I think I might choose dogs over him. At this point in time while I'm sick as all get out because of him, I'm SURE that I'd choose them over him if I had to make a choice today.  :D
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2018, 07:47:22 PM »
I don't dislike children, but they are just more responsibility, both physically and emotionally, than I wanted to take on.  That sounds horribly selfish when I put it into words, but I feel a lot better about it when I see how many people there are with kids who probably should have remained childless.

It's not selfish, it's smart.  "Selfish" is having kids and thinking it's the same as having a couch (no responsibility) or a puppy (how cute, but don't want the work of "training"), or because it's on some sort of checklist (career {check}, spouse {check}, house {check}, kids {check}) and not doing the actual WORK of raising them, or leaving it to someone else (daycare, nanny, schools).  I know that sounds totally b-tchy, but if you (rhetorically speaking, not specifically you, CatGirl) don't want the responsibility, or would rather focus on other aspects of your life, then don't have kids.  They (and Society, down the road) shouldn't have to suffer because of your lapse of judgement.   cat2

I would love to find a partner, a true soulmate, but I think I've reached the point where I can live happily, or at least contentedly, even if I do not.  It's not easy to find a guy who wants his woman to be a "crazy cat lady."  *sigh*

I know!  We should hook you up with Brandon, our resident Cat Daddy!   Silly7  He loves cats and has 2.  And I happen to know he's single . . .  Silly7 Silly7 Silly7

And honestly, I think I might choose dogs over him. At this point in time while I'm sick as all get out because of him, I'm SURE that I'd choose them over him if I had to make a choice today.  :D

funny2
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2018, 08:04:47 PM »
I have kids, and I TOTALLY agree with Pookie!  Not having and/or wanting children is NOT selfish! 

I'm not getting any younger, so I think another dog is likely not going to happen.  BUT the loss of Lacy is still fresh.  Also, we only have one cat that we actually adopted by choice.  Sooooo anything can happen. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2018, 08:22:17 PM »
I have kids, and I TOTALLY agree with Pookie!  Not having and/or wanting children is NOT selfish! 

I was a really young mother. I told my husband that if I wasn't pregnant by 24 with a due-date of 25, I wasn't having another. (No one knew at the time that I wouldn't have that big of a physical-ability window to have more.) I didn't want kids 10 years apart like my mother. I didn't want to still be having to parent in my 50s. Mom was 24 with me, 34 with my sister, and that was just a big "NAH" for me. I had fun with my kids. Her not so much, and it was burnt in my brain.

So, no. not wanting them is absolutely NOT selfish. It's self-awareness at its finest.

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Tags: