Author Topic: Raw Chicken Linked To Paralysis in Dogs. . .Who Knows?  (Read 1392 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Raw Chicken Linked To Paralysis in Dogs. . .Who Knows?
« on: February 02, 2018, 08:37:57 PM »
I'm posting this because I know someone in the BRT community that posted this information about someone's CAS:

I know a lot of you feed raw chicken, after a Facebook friends Central Asian shepherd became paralyzed from store bought raw chicken I think it's important for you to know the risks.

The thing that's making me think it might be serious and not exactly some kind of alarmist thing about raw feeding is that it's about one specific meat, and not all raw meats. Of course, the usual scare is at the last of the article, "We recommend owners choose regular dog food rather than chicken necks until we know more about this debilitating condition."

However, you must note that they're still warning about chicken necks and not ALL raw foods.

Thus, this must be taken as a serious consideration when choosing foods for your dogs.

Chicken necks are a common treat for dogs, but pet owners are being warned they have been linked with a potentially fatal form of paralysis

By Dr Nerissa Hannink, University of Melbourne

As pet ownership increases across the world, our furry (as well as feathered and scaly) friends have become firmly established members of the family.

Wanting the best for our pets, we often offer special treats, and chicken necks are a favourite in many families – often considered a ‘healthy’ option.

But vets are warning raw chicken, particularly chicken necks, can lead to a debilitating and potentially fatal form of paralysis in dogs.

A new study, led by the University of Melbourne’s U-Vet Werribee Animal Hospital, found the consumption of raw chicken meat increases the risk of dogs developing a paralysing condition called acute polyradiculoneuritis (APN) by more than 70 times.

Dr Matthias le Chevoir, chief investigator on the project, says the cause of APN in dogs has baffled the veterinary community for a long time.

Continued at: https://pursuit.unimelb.edu.au/articles/raw-chicken-linked-to-paralysis-in-dogs

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Raw Chicken Linked To Paralysis in Dogs. . .Who Knows?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 09:07:52 PM »
I'd like to know who funded that "study".  They used 74 dogs.  Hardly proof.  Just a "hypothesis".

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 09:17:16 PM »
I have pulled waaaaaaay back on feeding chicken to the cats.  Just because there is so much anti-chicken info out there lately.  I haven't read enough to be convinced one way or another, so I just feed a lot less of it.
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 09:31:56 PM »
I have pulled waaaaaaay back on feeding chicken to the cats.  Just because there is so much anti-chicken info out there lately.  I haven't read enough to be convinced one way or another, so I just feed a lot less of it.

I would like to.  But there isn't much else out there I have access to. Even turkey is difficult to find sometimes. Almost everything is sold "enhanced with up to 15% solution" of something or other.

Jennie and Queen Eva get grocery store chicken, turkey and beef.  Rad Cat venison on Sundays at bed time.  I still haven't started them on pork.  Just no place to put another protein.

Queen Eva also gets Rad Cat meals that Jennie does not have.  This is mainly because Jennie requires whole chunks to be satisfied.  She would not do well on that many mushy meals every day.

I'd like to replace some of the chicken with pork.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 09:44:55 PM »

I haven't fed a lot of chicken or turkey (but do feed quail and duck), because it seems to upset Vlad's stomach more than other meats do. If they get chicken now, it's from bags of frozen, breast singles. It's hard to find it b/c I have to look forever for the ones that haven't been injected with heaven knows what. So, chicken just doesn't happen a lot. When you're talking about feeding 130# worth of dogs, it can get pretty expensive.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 09:58:10 PM »
I would like to.  But there isn't much else out there I have access to. Even turkey is difficult to find sometimes. Almost everything is sold "enhanced with up to 15% solution" of something or other.

Jennie and Queen Eva get grocery store chicken, turkey and beef.  Rad Cat venison on Sundays at bed time.  I still haven't started them on pork.  Just no place to put another protein.

Queen Eva also gets Rad Cat meals that Jennie does not have.  This is mainly because Jennie requires whole chunks to be satisfied.  She would not do well on that many mushy meals every day.

I'd like to replace some of the chicken with pork.

I hate it when you post.   Silly7  I feel soooooo lazy.  With my 6, if one can't handle something... no one gets it! 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 10:23:43 PM »
I hate it when you post.   Silly7  I feel soooooo lazy.  With my 6, if one can't handle something... no one gets it! 

Oh, well, I only have three.  Silly7

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 07:09:09 PM »
Now Dogs Naturally has written on it, and this article is much more in depth than the original one that started everything:

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/news-chicken-necks-linked-paralysis-dogs/

Tags: