Author Topic: Consumer Reports Weighs in on Raw Feeding. . .  (Read 657 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Consumer Reports Weighs in on Raw Feeding. . .
« on: February 13, 2018, 01:53:26 PM »
I really feel sad for these families, but I honestly don't know where they're going wrong. I feed raw despite the warnings about the immunocompromised. I've been immunocompromised my whole life. I've had food poisoning one time, and that was tuna salad when I was 22-yrs old.

I wasn't feeding raw food to dogs back then. I feed raw all the time now. Even my big dog is immunocompromised since he has Addison's disease. Despite our immune issues, we've had absolutely NO problems out of their food, and he's got a big beard that (despite getting rinsed off after every meal/only actually washed once a week) could harbor all kind of nasty things. Nope. No foodborne diseases here.

So what are all these people doing wrong that gives the anti-raw-feeding people so much alarmist ammunition?

Should You Feed Raw Pet Food? Consumer Reports Weighs In

A Salmonella outbreak in Minnesota that is linked to recalled raw pet food is highlighting a question that pet owners face. Should you feed your pet raw food? Consumer Reports weighs in.

In that outbreak, two children were sickened after pets in their home were fed Raws for Paws ground turkey pet food. One of the children was hospitalized with osteomyelitis, a serious and painful bone infection that can cause fractures later in life.

Sales of raw frozen and refrigerated pet foods has grown by 263% from 2011 to 2017, but those diets are controversial. Some vets say that those products are not nutritionally balanced. The products can contain raw organ meats, whole or crushed animal or fish bones, unpasteurized milk, uncooked eggs, and raw produce.

Any raw meat can be contaminated with pathogenic bacteria. That’s why cooks are warned to treat all raw meat in the kitchen as a potentially hazardous food. Many serious and deadly food poisoning outbreaks have been linked to raw and undercooked meats, poultry, and seafood in the past few years. And raw milk and raw eggs have been linked to many foodborne illness outbreaks as well.

Studies bear this out. A study published in Vet Record in December 2017 showed that 28 of 35 commercial frozen raw meat diets from eight different brands were contaminated with antibiotic-resistant E. coli bacteria. Eight of those samples tested positive for E. coli O157:H7, a shiga toxin-producing strain that can cause serious illness, including hemolytic uremic syndrome, and death. Samples also tested positive for Salmonella (20% of products) and Listeria monocytogenes bacteria (54% of products). The raw pet food that was not frozen also contained parasites, including Toxoplasma gondii.

Read the rest at: https://foodpoisoningbulletin.com/2018/feed-raw-pet-food-consumer-reports/
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: Consumer Reports Weighs in on Raw Feeding. . .
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 02:31:23 PM »
Umm . . . maybe because they were using something that eventually was recalled?  http://parenting-furkids.com/index.php?topic=5682.msg43168#msg43168
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 02:32:52 PM »
Umm . . . maybe because they were using something that eventually was recalled?  http://parenting-furkids.com/index.php?topic=5682.msg43168#msg43168

But they're talking children getting it, not the pets. That's why I'm asking what they're doing wrong.

EDIT: I'd really like to be able to go into some of these homes, observe their habits, and figure out where their clean-cycle is being broken.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 02:37:15 PM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 03:37:15 PM »
I call BS. Kids are far more likley to get sick from kibble feeding pets, than raw f3eding.  People who feed raw generally take appropriate food handling care.  People who feed kibble stick their hand in the bag grab a handful and drop in in a filthy dish over already dirty kibble.  Then they go touch their kids, without washing their hands.

Or hand the kid a cookie or a sandwich.

This is all just more of the same witch hunt against raw, because it is cutting into Big Pet Foods astronomical profits.

And any food that contains raw bones could break a pet’s teeth, or puncture the esophagus, stomach, small intestine, or colon.

Yes the woods and plains are filled with wild animals dying of perforations from the prey that eat.  Sure. What a load of baloney.

Fear mongering because PFI is not making as much money.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 07:47:06 PM »
Yes the woods and plains are filled with wild animals dying of perforations from the prey that eat.  Sure. What a load of baloney.

thumbsup1 thumbsup1

I expected better from Consumer Reports.  SO bummed....

Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline ThreeStep

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 03:34:50 PM »
Did they get dogs and kids confused or needed an explanation?

Tags: