Author Topic: Queen Eva's ears  (Read 9638 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Queen Eva's ears
« on: January 29, 2019, 06:50:46 PM »
Queen Eva has yeast and cocci in her ears and has to have ointment put in them for 10 days.  I knew they were bothering her, but she kind of got lost in the shuffle of taking care of Jennie for a while.

When the temperature drops to about 25 F or below she starts rolling in the litter boxes. Taking dust baths or something. Grinding her back into the litter it's so gross! lol

I think she gets dust and bacteria in her ears from doing that and usually I give her ears some attention, a few drops of mineral oil to soften gunk, then the next day a saline flush, do it every couple of weeks until she stops it.

But this year the regimen slipped and her ears got infected.

So now she has to have this ointment.

The first two nights were awful. I had to sneak trap her in the bathroom, which isn't hard to do until she starts getting suspicious, because it is her room, after all. She lived in it the first week she was here.

But of course she doesn't like it when I use that as a way to entrap her.  She fought and struggled and screamed the house down and I thought oh gosh 10 days of this. But last night she didn't struggle as much, though she didn't like being tricked and I worried she would stop coming into the bathroom, even though it is HER space.

Tonight..she came in and asked for them.  Followed me into the bathroom. I waited for her to dash out if I reached for the door. She didn't.  I waited for her to dash out as I reached for the ointment.  She just sat there on the chair and waited.

I put a gentle hand on her back and administered the ointment into each ear, She screamed, just a little, but it was more for form's sake than anything. She's figured out it makes her feel better so she's decided it's an okay thing.

What a clever girl.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: Queen Eva's ears
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 09:33:36 PM »
I put a gentle hand on her back and administered the ointment into each ear, She screamed, just a little, but it was more for form's sake than anything. She's figured out it makes her feel better so she's decided it's an okay thing.

What a clever girl.

Yes, she is!  Well, she IS the Queen . . .  Silly7   CatPurr

I'm glad she's not fighting you much anymore, and that it's helping.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline ThreeStep

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 07:14:56 AM »
Poor queen! She needs extra attention and treats to make up for the indignity.

Offline Woodland Girl

• Yapper
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 11:58:35 AM »
Bless Queen Eva. She might not enjoy the administration of ointment but she will be glad to feel more comfortable. I suspect that she will also feel comforted by knowing that the relationship between you is unchanged.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 01:34:00 PM »
Is the ointment an antibiotic? 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 03:35:31 PM »
Is the ointment an antibiotic? 

Antibiotic and steroid It's called Entederm. I prefer the tresaderm drops because they are easier to apply. I really can't tell if I am getting anything down her ear or not when I do these. Or even how much. But I had this for Mazy cat and vet insisted it was better. I didn't like the side effects on Mazy cat and only gave it to her for a week, it made her cough.

Queen Eva shows no sign of any side effects.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 05:38:29 PM »
Antibiotic and steroid It's called Entederm. I prefer the tresaderm drops because they are easier to apply. I really can't tell if I am getting anything down her ear or not when I do these. Or even how much. But I had this for Mazy cat and vet insisted it was better. I didn't like the side effects on Mazy cat and only gave it to her for a week, it made her cough.

Queen Eva shows no sign of any side effects.

thumbsup1

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 05:38:00 AM »
Queen Eva has gotten so blase about the ear treatment last night I just did her ears while she was having a nap on the bed.  She squeaked a bit, but didn't fight or try to run away at all.  I've given up trying to get the stuff down in. The vet said the applicator is the right length and cannot be pushed "too far". But I can't always find that little ear hole, and I am not going to squash her trying to hold her to find it. I just aim and hope for the best. 4 more days of it.

After this I will remember to keep her ears flushed out during Litter Box Rolling Season.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 12:52:20 PM »
Queen Eva has gotten so blase about the ear treatment last night I just did her ears while she was having a nap on the bed.  She squeaked a bit, but didn't fight or try to run away at all.  I've given up trying to get the stuff down in. The vet said the applicator is the right length and cannot be pushed "too far". But I can't always find that little ear hole, and I am not going to squash her trying to hold her to find it. I just aim and hope for the best. 4 more days of it.

After this I will remember to keep her ears flushed out during Litter Box Rolling Season.

I would be nervous about going too far in the ear... no matter what the vet or applicator instructions said! 
Does she act like her ears are no longer bothering her?  I assume she showed signs.  ??

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2019, 02:54:11 PM »
I would be nervous about going too far in the ear... no matter what the vet or applicator instructions said! 

Ditto!

Queen Eva has gotten so blase about the ear treatment last night I just did her ears while she was having a nap on the bed.  She squeaked a bit, but didn't fight or try to run away at all. 

thumbsup1 thumbsup1 thumbsup1
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2019, 08:10:11 AM »
Does she act like her ears are no longer bothering her?   ??

Yesterday I would have said yes, but this morning she was scratching at the left ear again. And that is the ear I have the most trouble getting the stuff into. The angle is just wrong for me to helod her and see what I am doing.

I just don't understand vets.  Surely they must realize that prescribing an OINTMENT  that has to be put down into the ear, for the average client, the compliance is going to be about zero. Drops are so much easier, what the heck's wrong with the old tresaderm? Nothing.

I assume she showed signs.

Yes, that's why I brought her in.  She was scratching her left ear and crying when she did it. I did one mineral oil softening/saline flush which gave her some relief but I was concerned there was more to it than that so I made the appointment,  and turns out I was right.

Offline ThreeStep

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2019, 09:53:54 AM »
I am very glad you made the appointment. How are you supposed to get an ointment into a cat's ear? Qtip?

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2019, 01:17:40 PM »
I am very glad you made the appointment. How are you supposed to get an ointment into a cat's ear? Qtip?

She already has been to the vet.  The vet prescribed an ointment that comes with an applicator.  Drops are preferred. 

Offline ThreeStep

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2019, 04:46:28 PM »
10-4

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2019, 05:49:33 AM »
Queen Eva is scratching at her left ear again and crying while she does it.  She scratches ar it and says "ow ow ow ow".

Vet tomorrow at 2 pm.  If there is infection I hope we can get the tresaderm this time. So much easier to apply (though way more expensive).

If there is no infection I will proceed with mineral oil/flushing, but I didn't want to start that if the infection has not cleared up.

Tags: