Author Topic: The transition from Rad Cat  (Read 2054 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
The transition from Rad Cat
« on: February 23, 2019, 06:21:36 PM »
I've started Queen Eva on Alnutrin with egg shell calcium to replace her Rad Cat.  Her Rad Cat is all gone now, so she has been getting just EZcomplete and Stella & Chewy's (along with prey model Sundays) but I am not happy about her having so much Stella & Chewy's.  It's just too bone heavy.

So she had her first Alnutrin meal for lunch today.  Praise be she ate it without a blink. I don't make batches of anything so it's going to be a lot of extra effort as I work out the new routines for both of them.

Mazy cat is transitioning to all EZc (except prey model Sundays), but I have enough Rad Cat left to do it very very slowly.  I may try Alnutrin with her in the future. But not now. Most of her details will be in her other thread.

Mazy cat won't eat EZc with plain water (and meat) I've always used bone broth. But she already has her maximum daily bone broth so I am trying poached chicken breast broth (no bone) for her new EZc meals. So far she is eating that with no complaint. Thank goodness. Hopefully it gives her some variety of flavor too, since when the RC turkey is gone, it's nothing but chicken for her. Chicken breast, chicken thigh, and Cornish Hen on Sundays.

To clarify, both cats have been eating meals with EZcomplete for 3 years (since it came out), but it's only been a part of their rotation along with Rad Cat and prey model all this time.

Now, for Mazy cat, it will soon be her only diet (except for prey model Sundays). 

Queen Eva will have EZc, Alnutrin, and Stella & Chewy's Rabbit, and Stella & Chewy's Duck Duck Goose. (frozen nuggets, not freeze dried) and prey model Sundays.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: The transition from Rad Cat
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 10:21:45 PM »
Good luck with all of the transitions!   fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 07:41:17 AM »
Queen Eva gets Alnutrin meals for breakfast and lunch and EZcomplete meals for supper and bedtime. Prey model (with egg shell calcium instead of bone) on Sunday, including half a boiled egg yolk.

Her proteins are beef, chicken breast, chicken thigh, lamb, pork and turkey breast.  She does not seem to like turkey breast much any more, so I usually mix it with something else. She has both chicken liver and beef liver alternating with the Alnutrin meals.

Initially I was trying to remember to add in a little psyllium once a day, because Rad Cat had psyllium, but I kept forgetting and she doesn't seem to need it, so I don't bother now.

Queen Eva's supplements are Swanson egg yolk lecithin (EYL) 1/2 capsule a day with breakfast meal and Natural Factors double strength probiotic, one capsule split between lunch and bedtime meal.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 07:52:13 AM »
Mazy cat is still getting Rad Cat as 1/3 of her diet (used to be 2/3). (chicken and turkey alternating)  I am grateful I had enough to do such a slow transition. Her other meals, except for prey model Sunday, are all EZcomplete.  Since I don't make batches (for either cat) this is a bit of work as you can imagine, but that's just the way it is.

I have about 6 more weeks of Rad Cat, using it this way, then she will be all EZc. She also will be on only chicken (breast and thigh) at that point because I cannot source organic turkey. 

I hope that the various supplements added to her meals change the flavor enough to give her some variety. She's never been picky about needing variety, she ate that horrible Hills c/d garbage for 6 1/2 years without complaint, but still..I want her to have a change in flavor.

I would prefer a wider variety of proteins mainly for the wider variety of nutrients. But..at least, with the EZc she is getting digestive enzymes with every meal.

She still has three morning meals, and each has different things added.

EYL (Nature's Plus) 2 capsules a day, 2nd morning meal and late afternoon (supper premeal).

Proviable DC probiotic 2 capsules a day, morning and bed time (ACV as a prebiotic is added to these meals also)

Green lipped mussel next to last meal of the day (with ACV)

0.10 oz boiled egg yolk added to 3rd breakfast meal and bed time meal

Slippery elm back (SEB) added to bedtime meal

Denosyl at lunch time with 0.2 oz of food to wash it down with (hopefully) minimum interference in absorption.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 05:32:55 AM »
Last tub of Rad Cat has been started.  Mazy cat is getting Rad Cat only two meals a week now. Really I'm tired of it and am ready for the transition to be done but there is no point in wasting a $17 tub of cat food. 

As it is I just threw out three bags of Stella & Chewy's frozen morsels (2 rabbit, one Duck Duck Goose) that I had forgotten I had.  They were still in date and could have been used but I stopped giving it to Queen Eva some time ago, not realizing I still had some unopened bags.

I am glad I had enough RC though for me to take my time and work out the new routine, along with giving Mazy cat a slow transition.  It's like I always say to people who worry about having time to feed raw.  I felt the same way in the beginning.  Overwhelmed and panicking. Take it only one step at a time, go slow,  the routine works it's self out as you go along.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 12:42:48 PM »
You tossed out THREE bags of S&C.  That would have stressed me out!  lol I am sure you have a reason for not wanting to feed it to the other two.

Glad you had enough RC for your transitioning process.   thumbsup1
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2019, 01:19:07 PM »
You tossed out THREE bags of S&C.  That would have stressed me out!  lol I am sure you have a reason for not wanting to feed it to the other two.

Glad you had enough RC for your transitioning process.   thumbsup1

By contrast, my stress has been greatly reduced by this decision.  ;D

Mazy cat cannot have bone, and S&C isn't organic or non-GMO so even without the bone she couldn't have it anyway. 

S&C is too high in bone/phosphorous,  Queen Eva (the only cat ever fed this brand) was only getting it once a week anyway, it doesn't keep well (gets freezer burn very quickly) she didn't really like it, and I was tired of it taking up space I could use for more regular meats.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2019, 09:25:35 AM »
The next step in the transition will be to figure out quantities.  Mazy cat has gained a few ounces.  Looks like the EZc diet is higher in calories.  Or it may be because she is getting digestive enzymes in every meal now (EZc has the digestive enzymes in it) which increases nutrient absorption.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2019, 10:12:08 AM »
By contrast, my stress has been greatly reduced by this decision.  ;D

Whatever works!!!  :)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2019, 10:15:33 AM »

S&C is too high in bone/phosphorous,

Thanks for that info!!!!!  It was in our rotation at one time.  Not the frozen, but the dehydrated.  I skipped buying it for a while... I think due to expense.  Anyway, I was just recently thinking of buying some again.  BUT I won't.  I don't need a food high in bone.  Too much bone causes issues for some.  And you know me... if one can't have a particular food/protein/brand, no one gets it.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2019, 05:53:42 AM »
Thanks for that info!!!!!  It was in our rotation at one time.  Not the frozen, but the dehydrated.  I skipped buying it for a while... I think due to expense.  Anyway, I was just recently thinking of buying some again.  BUT I won't.  I don't need a food high in bone.  Too much bone causes issues for some.  And you know me... if one can't have a particular food/protein/brand, no one gets it.

Yeah.  Well the only reason for keeping the freeze dried on hand, in your case I mean, would be in case of needing a quick easy meal, or traveling, right?  The bone can be diluted of course, there's a formula for that, but why go to all that trouble when you have other resources..

Anyway the Rad Cat is still dragging on.  Mazy cat just doesn't want it any more, she prefers the EZc meals.  I'll try to fit it into Queen Eva's diet until it's gone.

Or maybe I'll just chuck it, like I did with the S&C.

Tags: