Author Topic: AVMA VOTE IS IN  (Read 4332 times)

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
AVMA VOTE IS IN
« on: August 03, 2012, 03:21:48 PM »
Quote:
House of Delegates Wrap Up: The Vote on the Proposed Raw Animal-Source Protein Policy (Resolution 5)
 August 3, 2012 | Dr. Kimberly May | 1 Reply

As you may already be aware, the AVMA House of Delegates was scheduled to discuss and vote on a proposed policy about raw/undercooked animal-source protein diets for companion animals during their meeting today. It certainly has been a controversial topic, as shown by the large number of comments on our previous AVMA@Work blog entry.

The resolution was thoroughly discussed Thursday afternoon by a reference committee, and two amendments were proposed. (see the attached document, Raw or Undercooked Animal.amendments. The amended text is in red on the attached document.) The first amendment added a paragraph that acknowledges that there are some pet owners who prefer to feed thes diets, and states that vets should ensure that owners are aware of the risks and measures that should be to prevent mitigate the health risks. The second amendment changed “never feed” in the first bullet point to “avoid feeding.”

The HOD discussion and vote took place today. Prior to the discussion, all in attendance were requested to disclose any potential conflicts of interest. (This is standard procedure.) Those opposing the amendment felt that it weakened the policy and that the policy is based on sound evidence that there is risk. Those supporting the amendment felt it was necessary to allow vets to serve clients without facing conflict with AVMA policy.

The HOD voted NOT to pass the first amendment to the proposed policy with a majority vote 66.6% against the amendment.

The second amendment, which changed the first bullet point’s “never feed” to “avoid feeding,” was PASSED with a majority vote of 91.9% in favor of the amendment.

Following the discussion, the House voted on the amended proposed policy via electronic balloting. In order for a resolution such as this to pass, a majority vote is required. The final outcome of the vote was 90.9% in favor of the amended resolution. This proposed policy is now policy as amended.

Please keep in mind that this policy is NOT a ban on raw foods for pets and it is not a regulation that requires veterinarians (regardless of whether they’re AVMA members or not) to comply, or even agree with it. It’s not a debate on the healthiness of or risks associated with raw foods versus other commercial pet foods. Nor is it an attempt to force a ban or restrict pet owners’ rights to feed their pets how and what they want.

Another blog post on the rest of the resolutions and bylaws amendments will be posted after the meeting has concluded.

http://atwork.avma.org/2012/08/03/house-of-delegates-wrap-up-the-vote-on-the-proposed-raw-animal-source-protein-policy-resolution-5/
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: AVMA VOTE IS IN
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 03:24:43 PM »
Thanks for the update, Shadow. 

How is there not a conflict of interest?
Majority "avoid feeding"... *sigh*
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 03:33:54 PM »
Thanks for the update, Shadow. 

How is there not a conflict of interest?
Majority "avoid feeding"... *sigh*

That does it. My vets had better never again quote the AVMA to me. They'll get a conflict of interest package thrown at them faster than my Vladdie can bark at a deer.

And yes, I have all the info I emailed to Mike Fry of Animal Wise Radio saved in my Sent folder, so that package won't be hard at all to generate.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 03:40:34 PM »
Thank you, Shadow.

bangshead bangshead bangshead :'( bangshead bangshead censored censored censored censored censored throwfit throwfit throwfit flamingangry flamingangry flamingangry flamingturd flamingturd BSbaloney BSbaloney pangif pangif

(I can't find that smiley that Bumpurr and The Kittens use that has gunfire or I'd throw that in here, too.)

Am I surprised?  Not really.  But it still  cat2 es me off.  Any bets on how long it takes the PFI to start lobbying Congress to ban commercial raw outright?  I hope the commercial raw companies have some really good lawyers.   >:( >:( >:(
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 03:57:16 PM »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
  • Respect-The-Star...Violators-Will-Be-Hung
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 04:24:15 PM »
Lola took away, Bump's machine gun, mol.   Bumpurr1 TexasFlag bumpgif bewareofmodsgif :P

I don't feed raw, so it doesn't affect me, but if they get a foot hold on the petty foodies, commercial food, might be next.   >:( 

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 04:27:21 PM »
Just for Pookie, Bump can find, anything, mol.  Respect The Star >:(

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=yfp-t-701&va=smileys+machine+gun

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 04:29:38 PM »
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 04:33:38 PM by The Kittens »

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 04:36:36 PM »
found a cool one, still trying to find the code
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 04:42:10 PM by The Kittens »

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 04:39:46 PM »

And yes, I have all the info I emailed to Mike Fry of Animal Wise Radio saved in my Sent folder, so that package won't be hard at all to generate.

I sent him an email as well with a bunch of stuff.  Did he reply to you?   Didn't receive any kind of acknowledgement and figured it may have been because he is "Radio"?  (
I'm forever bashing the mainstream mediots but thought his show may be via "Internet" Radio, so he'd be different...  

LOLA, gotta make pics public!!!   Especially yours  thumbsup1 thumbsup1

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 04:45:39 PM »
Lola took away, Bump's machine gun, mol.   Bumpurr1 TexasFlag bumpgif bewareofmodsgif :P

I don't feed raw, so it doesn't affect me, but if they get a foot hold on the petty foodies, commercial food, might be next.   >:( 

Know what's scary?   The majority has NO clue, unless they find out the hard way and start digging, and even then, how much of the % of people will, & find forums & resources with the truths? 
Majority will continue to trust the corrupt mainstream McVetrinary racket with the Boobed Tube's bia$ed, deceiving non-truths serving as their "added layer of ASSurance".   

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 04:58:40 PM »
OK, mol, that one, was a little over my head, mol, can you say it, in dick and jane english, way to hot here, mind has melted, mol.  :-* HeadButt Bumpurr1 TexasFlag bumpgif

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2012, 05:01:34 PM »
I sent him an email as well with a bunch of stuff.  Did he reply to you?   Didn't receive any kind of acknowledgement and figured it may have been because he is "Radio"?  (
I'm forever bashing the mainstream mediots but thought his show may be via "Internet" Radio, so he'd be different...  

I knew he was reading my links b/c we'd had a back-n-forth in email at the beginning on my query about where/when to listen to the show. If you missed any shows:  http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/animal-wise-radio-podcast/id74172441

I also knew he was reading all my links because he tweeted the first one I brought up about the AVMA refusing to post my question about:

Animal Wise Radio
This is an interesting news story in its own right. More interesting is the question, "In the middle of a heated and important debate about pet food safety going on at the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) web site, why would AVMA block this story from being posted?"

We will discuss all of that, and more, regarding the food fight going on at AVMA.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/print/2012/01/the-rise-of-antibiotic-resistance-consequences-of-fdas-inaction/251754/

That was on the 29th's show when they were talking about the AVMA's proposed policy.

That information really concerns me because the AVMA is promoting the use of antibiotics in agriculture that we as well as our animals are eating. In my mind, the AVMA is actually causing a lot of the problem their proposal is warning about on raw foods being contaminated. A lot of the strains of pathogens in processed-food-recalls were "super bugs" that the normal antibiotics used to kill certain, specific pathogens were found to be useless against. These antibiotics that are usually effective were the actual antibiotics that are used in agriculture. BigPharma (to the tune of 80% of the antibiotics being manufactured being used in agriculture & encouraged by the AVMA) is just as big a problem in the AVMA as the Big Pet Food companies are & it can NOT be divided considering these facts.

Because of this, I know in my heart that the AVMA is part of the problem they're trying to warn against; so they are among the biggest hypocrites on earth.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2012, 05:02:20 PM »

Please keep in mind that this policy is...not a regulation that requires veterinarians... to comply, or even agree with it.

Bull-effin-shit
meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2012, 05:06:49 PM »

Tags: