Author Topic: Dr. Jean Dodds' Skype-Chat with Mercola's Dr. Becker  (Read 972 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Dr. Jean Dodds' Skype-Chat with Mercola's Dr. Becker
« on: March 13, 2013, 10:15:44 AM »
http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2013/03/13/pet-vaccine-dangers.aspx?np=true

Story at-a-glance

Dr. Jean Dodds, of Hemopet and Hemolife, and board member of the American Holistic Veterinary Medical Foundation (AHVMF) talks with Dr. Becker via Skype about pet vaccines, the exciting field of nutrigenomics, and the AHVMF.

Vaccination programs have traditionally been the holy grail of veterinary medicine. But the truth is veterinarians aren’t well informed about vaccine adverse reaction rates. Dr. Dodds believes the veterinary profession is still in denial about vaccine dangers despite evidence that has been accumulating for at least two decades.

Another area of opportunity for vaccinations is with the informed consent of pet owners. Do you know for sure which vaccines your pet actually needs and which ones she’s receiving?

Dr. Dodds is also very involved in the exciting field of nutrigenomics. Did you know the nutrients you feed your pet affect his genes, and therefore, his health and longevity? In fact, when we know which nutrients are essential for individual pets, we have the potential to impact longevity, reduce the risk of chronic disease, and speed healing.

Between now and March 17, 2013, every $1 donated to the AHVM Foundation will be automatically tripled. That’s right – Mercola Healthy Pets will contribute $2 for every $1 donation to the foundation from March 11 through March 17, 2013.

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: Dr. Jean Dodds' Skype-Chat with Mercola's Dr. Becker
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 10:31:04 AM »
Thanks for posting this, Dee.  And here's a thought:  I wonder how much proper nutrition, or lack of, affects those vaccine reactions?  Are pets being fed a species-appropriate diet less like to have adverse reactions compared to pets on less appropriate diets?  The thing is, though, that people who have learned enough about pet health to feed appropriate diets have also probably learned about the issues with over-vaccination, and I suspect probably don't vaccinate much, if at all, or at least, not as often as vets would like.   :D

I did email Dr. Jean about that once, and she replied that she wasn't aware of any studies about the impact of raw feeding and vaccine reactions.

Personally, I suspect there probably is some effect.  Grains in carnivores are inflammatory as it is, so if the immune system is constantly being bombarded by an inappropriate diet, I would think it would be more likely to over-react to a vaccine.  But that's just my hunch.   Bumpurr1
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Dr. Jean Dodds' Skype-Chat with Mercola's Dr. Becker
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 10:46:26 AM »
Well all of us know that species-appropriate diets make our pets more healthy and stronger. So I believe that has an effect on ALL of the aspects of their lives.

The goal of vaccines is to make the body have reactions and build up antibodies. A weaker body is going to have stronger (more violent if you will) reactions to the vaccine's shock to their systems. Probably a lot more than the original intent of those that began developing vaccines in the first place. ANY too strong reaction within the body is probably going to do damage, because of the actual attack that causes immunity.

That's how familial Mediterranean fever and other autoimmune diseases affect people. Their bodies can't cut off the naturally-occurring lymphocytes that are supposed to protect and repair bodies, so those normally protective cells end up attacking until it breaks down things like joints and causing infections. A weak animal isn't going to be able to shut off any reaction that affects the white blood cells either.

So, I've got to believe that any time you have too much of a protective reaction, it's going to break something down and ultimately make it weaker. Eating as healthily as possible is one of the few things that can be done to naturally strengthen bones, muscles, etc so that when attacked, the reactions aren't as fierce.

We've all known for a long time that the same types of theories about our health can also be used with our pets for many things--that's why they cruelly lock them up, and test things on them in labs.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 10:50:54 AM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Tags: