Author Topic: Vet Techs Giving Dangerous Forum "Advice"  (Read 2980 times)

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Vet Techs Giving Dangerous Forum "Advice"
« on: March 16, 2013, 02:28:32 PM »
Hi All

Still running off steam from working '3rd out'  Bumpurr1 but wanted to run this by y'all --

Lurk a forum I used to post on frequently and see that there is a vet Tech following other forummers' SOUND advice -  with DR Lisa's link included  - with "advice" on mixing kibble with wet, and also wetting & "blending" it so that the cats will eat.  For more background:  This person has stated previously that their own cat is on "prescription" kibble. 

In both threads, McVets of both thread-starters have "prescribed" the usual too-high-in-carbs-to-begin-with gunk.

My question is:  Won't mixing wet and kibble, indeed, cause tummy issues as they digest at totally different rates to begin with?  Opps, that's right,  only the wet food will actually digest properly.  Doh1 But you know what I'm trying to say (I hope  :-[  )

Also, the undigestable kibble "sitting there" will still keep the wet from moving along as it should, and cause it to sit there longer than it normally would, only to  - for lack of a better word -  ferment & bacterialise, correct? 

It appears this person is trying desperately to drown out very crucial and true information of posts preceeding his/hers, and I am thisclose to calling them out for letting his/her PFI/vet affiliated bias get the best of him/her thus providing what seems to be very dangerous information. 

What say you?   Thanks  DrLisaPiersonWorthy

PS Not sure if bacterialise is even a word.  I'm tired  Bumpurr1

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Vet Techs Giving Dangerous Forum "Advice"
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 07:52:19 PM »
I totally agree with you about mixing dry with wet (or dry with raw, like that new Nature's Variety Raw Bites). In spite of many, even wet food advocates, who argue with me about the digestion times being so different as to cause serious problems for a cat if fed mixed, and say they think it is okay or "they ahve been doing it for years and their cats are "fine" " I still think it is a very very bad idea.

However, in the thread you are referring to, I took it as the vet tech was suggesting this method as a way to transition the cat to an all wet diet.  She wasn't saying (at least it didn't sound like it to me) to do it that way forever, just until the cat could get used to the wet food.

In that PU thread though...gah that thread makes me crazy.  Why can't people learn?  Why are they so dense about the dry food issue?

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 01:27:45 AM »
If the cat eats the food within 20 minutes, it should be ok, any longer and bacteria starts to grown on the dry food if its wet.  Though it seems most dry food already has the bacteria's on it before it gets wet, especially the ones that are grain filled. These bagged food sit on store, and warehouse shelves for long periods. That poster should give her head a shake!! I dont know what forum your talking about, but I can just imagine. pullingouthair
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 02:15:28 AM »
I totally agree with you about mixing dry with wet (or dry with raw, like that new Nature's Variety Raw Bites). In spite of many, even wet food advocates, who argue with me about the digestion times being so different as to cause serious problems for a cat if fed mixed, and say they think it is okay or "they ahve been doing it for years and their cats are "fine" " I still think it is a very very bad idea.

Thanks, MC.    It's all good now as another former came along and explained things soooo perfectly, much better than I could have mustered!! 

However, in the thread you are referring to, I took it as the vet tech was suggesting this method as a way to transition the cat to an all wet diet.  She wasn't saying (at least it didn't sound like it to me) to do it that way forever, just until the cat could get used to the wet food.

Was a combination of that,  & another thread in which this had already been stated and the poor OP only ended up confused by the conflicting information:

Keep in mind though that the cat in question has CRF, which means she has different nutritional needs and a site on general nutrition does not apply

Meaning Dr Lisa's site which was provided by previous poster, which certainly DOES apply. Then went on to say that the (CRF) site which he/she'd provided covers nutrition and 'what to look for in commercial diet'.

I had appealed to the owner of that CRF site 7 or so years ago regarding the dangers of those "rx" diets and to please, at least put a warning up regarding them - explaining why via veterinary citations and quotes/links.   

No disputing that getting the cat to eat anything is most crucial. However, what I tried to convey was the fact that it is the *stinky* animal digest and other unimaginables put ONTO this food which entices their sense of smell -- which is what cats go by, as opposed to "taste".   Asked to please help to inform people there are ways to make much healthier alternatives enticing,  "stinkier"... IIRC, the jacked-up salt content as well, making the poor animal drink more.... 

There's also the economic factor. People are already dealing with sick cats, stress, unexpected vet bills and now they "have to" be paying out the butt for overly-expensive corn & species-inappropriate junk food on top of everything else because they "don't have a choice"?

The whole "rx' racket is downright criminal, IMO.

And yet another site condoning/excusing these "diets" only strengthens the vicious cycle all the more.  Cat may appear to be "improving" in the interim, but what about 6 months from now?   Vet visits aren't cheap, either  -- and at what cost to the cat's health? 

Which brings us to this:

In that PU thread though...gah that thread makes me crazy.  Why can't people learn?  Why are they so dense about the dry food issue?

For virtually every situation, there remains one constant theme:  People are only listening to what their vets "prescribe".   These people don't have a CHOICE. They don't know because nobody is telling them any differently.

Here's yet another perfect case in point of how pet owners will blame themselves before the trusted, licensed professional:

Also, as time's gone on, he got sick of the Hills c/d and wasn't eating great. It felt like I couldn't do anything right.

And quote from OP of that thread:

you might want to try Purina UR. My cats (even the non-PU ones) LOVED Purine UR much better than the Hills CD

People simply have absolutely NO possible way of knowing beforehand (or at all) that something which their vet is legally and professionally "prescribing" them could possibly be the culprit, let alone "bad" for a cat. 

Nobody with mainstream influence will dispute what 90% of the vets have so easily convinced people as being the all-too-well-established *only way*.     There's only us Internet People who, as you've seen in that thread over and over,  continually go ignored because we're food snobs and a "vet basing" cult.

Drs. Pierson & Hodgkins would be more renowned than Donald Trump,  Bill Gates & Steve Jobs combined in a less corrupt world -- if only somebody did their jobs they're supposed to do.

Nobody who *should* will speak up and, being the worthless tabloid gossip hacks that they are, the major mainstream Mediots only aid in reinforcing it all the more. 
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 02:41:12 AM by CarnivorousCritter »

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 02:28:35 AM »
If the cat eats the food within 20 minutes, it should be ok, any longer and bacteria starts to grown on the dry food if its wet.  Though it seems most dry food already has the bacteria's on it before it gets wet, especially the ones that are grain filled. These bagged food sit on store, and warehouse shelves for long periods. That poster should give her head a shake!! I dont know what forum your talking about, but I can just imagine. pullingouthair

Yup!   

What gets me is, the upset tummies are always blamed on the one change when wet food is being added.  The most common theme on forums is people who try "adding some wet" to the diet blaming the wet food when the cats throws up.  If we only had a dime for every "my cats throws up whenever I try feeding him   wet food" post.   No wonder!  The moldy kibble is still sitting there ...   >:( :(

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 03:27:29 AM »
Edit my last post...I should be in bed sleeping, sorry for all the spelling/grammar mistakes.
Im going to bed now, its been a long day! lol!
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 03:52:23 PM »
 :-* HeadButt  Haha don't be sorry!   I'm such an Edit Freak and still got a bunch of goofs up there  Bumpurr1

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 12:15:01 AM »
I'm a little late, but...

I got the same impression, CC.  If she was recommending a temporary fix, she should have CLEARLY stated that AND the possible risks.   In my stinky opinion, :) she did not. 
I also thought the tummy upset could have been due to mixing dry and wet and/or the carpy RX food.  But... that vet tech is also an RX "food" pusher. 
The icing on the cake, for me, was when the vet tech posted that Dr. Lisa Pierson's website would be of no help, to a person, with a CRF cat.  The info looks pretttttty clear to me.  http://www.catinfo.org/#Kidney_Failure
Again... I think the vet tech's advice, boils down to her being an RX/Purina food pusher.    Just my two cents.
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 03:35:06 PM »
I'm okay with posting a link to the thread we are yapping about.  Since no one did...I didn't want to be the one to do so.   :D
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: pfi vet techs