Author Topic: The on-going ever-evolving process of feeding Mazy cat  (Read 119009 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: The on-going ever-evolving process of feeding Mazy cat
« Reply #330 on: June 30, 2018, 06:22:39 PM »
She brought up her supper meal. She very rarely pukes this particular meal, and her denosyl tablet, which she had hours ago, was still intact in the puke, along with a wad of fur, so it was brewing, and would have happened whether I mentioned it this morning or not. :)

Offline ThreeStep

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #331 on: July 01, 2018, 08:43:33 AM »
How is she doing today?

How did you and Mazy cat meet if I may ask?

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #332 on: July 01, 2018, 09:08:12 AM »
She brought up her second breakfast. A number of days following with vomiting is ...."normal" for her after going 10 or more days between vomiting episodes. If she stays around once every 7 days...it stays around 7 days.

But really there is no pattern other than "every 7-10 days, sometimes more often, sometimes less often". It has taken me many years to (mostly) come to terms with the realization that this is how it is always going to be for her. She's 14 now and raw fed for 6 years. 

Here is Mazy cat's story, thanks for asking!  Hug1  (note the original thread was started in 2013, I just update it every year now)

http://parenting-furkids.com/index.php?topic=1762.0

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #333 on: July 08, 2018, 07:56:45 AM »
So..Mazy cat did change up her pattern a little bit. After 15 days of not vomiting I expected a week of on and off vomiting, but she did not have that.  She puked two more days in a row, and that is all, and is now in her usual span of..well it's been 6 days.

She's gained a little weight..less active in the heat I think.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #334 on: July 09, 2018, 05:49:29 PM »
Me and my big mouth. Silly7

Vomited last night and again this morning.  No fur, in either batch, so it's lodged in there, hope it moves through tonight. 

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #335 on: July 09, 2018, 10:10:58 PM »
Me and my big mouth. Silly7

Vomited last night and again this morning.  No fur, in either batch, so it's lodged in there, hope it moves through tonight. 

That'll learn ya!   Silly7

Seriously, though, I'm sorry to hear Mazy's having a rough patch.  GoodVibes  Hug1
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #336 on: July 09, 2018, 11:43:26 PM »
:(
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #337 on: July 10, 2018, 05:00:33 AM »
She brought up a huge wad of fur this morning before breakfast. With a lot of foul smelling liquid.

It also had her denosyl from yesterday lunch.  I'm going to start her on some milk thistle powder and possibly sam-e powder instead, if they aren't too awful tasting (powder from capsules mixed in food)  The denosyl tablet is just not effective because it keeps getting caught up in the fur in her gut.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #338 on: July 10, 2018, 11:14:30 AM »

It also had her denosyl from yesterday lunch.  I'm going to start her on some milk thistle powder and possibly sam-e powder instead, if they aren't too awful tasting (powder from capsules mixed in food)  The denosyl tablet is just not effective because it keeps getting caught up in the fur in her gut.

Can you not put it in something then take a hammer to it to turn it into powder?
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #339 on: July 10, 2018, 01:09:26 PM »
Can you not put it in something then take a hammer to it to turn it into powder?

Thanks Dee.  The tablet is supposed to pass into the intestinal tract, intact, for maximum absorption. But because she's always got a wad of fur in her stomach, it gets caught and doesn't make it out.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #340 on: July 10, 2018, 01:21:36 PM »
Thanks Dee.  The tablet is supposed to pass into the intestinal tract, intact, for maximum absorption. But because she's always got a wad of fur in her stomach, it gets caught and doesn't make it out.

Well that sucks.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #341 on: July 10, 2018, 06:12:29 PM »
 Hug1
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #342 on: August 25, 2018, 02:24:32 PM »
Mazy cat is on one of her extended spans of no vomiting.  Today is day 16. As you may remember, whenever she goes this long I kind of get a build up of dread because once she finally does vomit, she usually will vomit for at least 4 days in a row, after skipping one day.

But there is always hope that this time will be different.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #343 on: August 27, 2018, 05:10:58 AM »
Mazy cat is on day 18.  This morning after her pee and poop as I was getting ready to fix her breakfast I saw her slip back down the stairs.  Since she'd pooped already I got worried about what was up...instantly my mind goes to what Jennie's just been through you know?  I waited a minute or two then followed her down.  She'd brought up a two great big wads of fur!

bananamiddlechild

I am celebrating because normally those wads would have simply sat in there and pushed her breakfast out.  Instead she brought them up before eating. This is very rare for Mazy cat and always has been. So on we go.

I am starting to wonder if the increased s.boulardii is helping her, if it is making that much of a difference.  I've had her on 1/4 capsule twice a day (half capsule total a day) for a long time. That's her maintenance dose.  I increased it to half a capsule twice a day (whole capsule total for the day) during Jennie's illness. I'm going to keep on with that and see how she does.

If it makes that much difference, perhaps that's the silver lining of Jennie's illness.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #344 on: August 30, 2018, 06:23:06 PM »
Mazy cat went 20 days.  On the 21st day she brought up her 1st breakfast meal. It had a wad of fur in it too. That was yesterday.  Now I wait to see if her usual pattern follows after an extended span of not vomiting, which is: skip a day (today, so far), then vomit 3 or 4 days in a row.

Tags: