Author Topic: Hound & Gatos  (Read 6534 times)

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
Hound & Gatos
« on: January 31, 2013, 03:09:42 AM »
Petfooddirect.com has finally started selling this food, which is something that I think is great. I am impressed enough with this brand that I may start keeping it as emergency food for Amber  (following the Natura buyout and the formula change in by Nature, I banned commercial cat food from the house entirely).

98% Lamb

Description:

Hound & Gatos 98% Lamb Formula Canned Cat Food is filled to the top of your cat’s dinner bowl with lamb! Delicious, succulent lamb makes up 98% of this meal—that’s right, 98%---with a mere 2% dedicated to water-for-processing, minerals and vitamins! There are no fillers here and you won’t find any inferior ingredients either! Just the good stuff! So fill up your cat’s bowl and belly with Hound & Gatos 98% Lamb Formula Canned Cat Food!

Benefits:

For adult cats
Made of 98% lamb
Healthy and balanced nutrition
Contains no fillers
Made in the USA

Ingredients

Lamb, Duck Liver, Water, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Xanthan Gum, Guar Gum, Salt, Cassia Gum, Taurine, Magnesium Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Niacin Supplement (Vitamin B3), Vitamin E Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Biotin (Vitamin B7), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D2 Supplement, Folic Acid (Vitamin B9)

Analysis:

Crude Protein (min) 10.0%
Crude Fat (min) 8.5%
Crude Fiber 0.5%
Moisture (max) 78%

98% Beef

Description:

If your cat is a beef-eater then Hound & Gatos 98% Beef Formula Canned Cat Food is just what your purring friend is after! Chocked full of 98% beef, yep that’s right, 98% beef, your cat will be getting not only a delicious, meaty meal but also loads of protein, minerals and vitamins that he/she needs to be healthy and happy! Hound & Gatos 98% Beef Formula Canned Cat Food will have your cat mooing…er, meowing for seconds!

Benefits:

For adult cats
Made of 98% beef
Contains no fillers
Made in the USA

Ingredients

Beef, Water, Tricalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride , Guar Gum, Cassia Gum, Salt, Taurine, Magnesium Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Niacin Supplement (Vitamin B3), Vitamin E Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Biotin (Vitamin B7), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D2 Supplement, Folic Acid (Vitamin B9)

Analysis:

Crude Fat (min) 8.0%
Crude Fiber 0.5%
Moisture (max) 78%

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
Re: Hound & Gatos
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 03:13:48 AM »
98% Chicken

Description:

Even your cat wants a meaty meal every now and then! Hound & Gatos 98% Chicken Formula Canned Cat Food can provide that and more! Made with 98% chicken—yep, you read that correctly—and the rest, a mere 2% is the water-for-processing, minerals and vitamins that your cat needs, this delectable meal is nutritionally balanced and most importantly, it’s something that your cat will not turn away from (we all know how picky cats can be)! So give your cat something to chow down on with Hound & Gatos 98% Chicken Formula Canned Cat Food!

Benefits:

For adult cats
Made of 98% chicken
Contains no fillers
Made in the USA

Ingredients

Chicken, Water, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Xanthan Gum, Choline Chloride, Guar Gum, Cassia Gum, Salt, Taurine, Magnesium Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Niacin Supplement (Vitamin B3), Vitamin E Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Biotin (Vitamin B7), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D2 Supplement, Folic Acid (Vitamin B9)

Analysis:

Crude Fat (min) 9.5%
Crude Fiber 0.5%
Moisture (max) 78%

98% Lamb Chicken & Salmon

Description:

Want to give your kitty scrumptious variety at every meal? Then try Hound & Gatos 98% Lamb Chicken & Salmon Formula Canned Cat Food! This awesome-variety-in-a-can mixes protein-rich lamb, salmon and chicken together for a truly tasty meal that your cat will thoroughly enjoy! There won’t be a crumb left by the time he/she is done chowing down on Hound & Gatos 98% Lamb Chicken & Salmon Formula Canned Cat Food!

Benefits:

For adult cats
Made of 98% lamb, chicken and salmon
Contains no fillers
Made in the USA

Ingredients

Lamb, Salmon, Chicken, Water, Potassium Chloride, Xanthan Gum, Choline Chloride, Guar Gum, Cassia Gum, Salt, Taurine, Magnesium Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Niacin Supplement (Vitamin B3), Vitamin E Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Biotin (Vitamin B7), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D2 Supplement, Folic Acid (Vitamin B9)

Analysis:

Crude Fat (min) 9.0%
Crude Fiber 0.5%
Moisture (max) 78%

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 07:21:02 AM »
By Nature has not changed the formula of their Organic line, only the packaging.

I have deliberated over Hounds and Gatos a few times.   However, Hounds and Gatos has xanthan gum, along with two other gums. How many binders does a food need?

Let us know how you (and Amber!) like it.

PS well darn, I went to PFD, they have a free shipping promo right now, so I thought with the sale price it would be a good time to try it anyway.  the chicken is out of stock. :(

edit again....it's out of stock at the other on line store they recommend too. I used their find a retailer search and my local feed store comes up..but that's happened with foods before, and when I go to the store they don't actually have it after all.

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 02:11:37 PM »
Sorry, they still had the chicken when I posted  :-[

They are small company and make food in smaller batches, and A LOT of people have been waiting for PFD to carry it for months now, so I am not really suprised they sold out so quickly. I hope they get it back in soon, so that you can order some.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 02:57:43 PM »
I was wondering about all the gums also.  Hey, at least there isn't any carrageenan!   ;D  I may give it a try for the cats and dogs. 

Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 01:11:18 AM »
Personally, I don't worry too much about the gums since they are mixed in with the supplements, which indicates a very small amount. With only 2% of the finished product designated for added water + everything else, there really can't be that much in there, and while those gums don't constitute my idea of food, I  haven't read anything about them being inherently harmful. Dr. Pierson herself uses the Xanthan gum for Robbie.

But honestly, Amber herself will be the ultimate judge.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 08:58:00 AM »
Well it is the xanthan gum that was concerning me but I couldn't think why so I looked it up.  Xanthan gum may be derived from corn, wheat, dairy or soy .  So that eliminates that possibility for me.  SK cannot have anything that is derived from corn especially, but she appears sensitive to ANY grain even in tiny amounts. :(

PS my sources were wikpedia which I know is not the most reliable place, but the other sites I looked at were so full of mumbojumbo words I had to resort to wiki to even understand what I was reading, LOL.

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 04:40:53 AM »
I don't know if this makes a difference but I hope it helps:

http://tcfeline.com/2011/03/18/xanthan-gum/

I know you are always on the lookout for acceptable canned foods and I hate to hear it when promising prospects won't work for you, but I know that SK is very delicate and I would hate for her to have a setback.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 07:48:59 AM »
Thank you!  Very interesting reading. Currently I have had to take her off even the other flavor of the same brand she was eating before.  So her canned portions are only one brand one formula again. No other canned seems to sit right with her but this one thing. She has no trouble with any of her raw, including the Stella&Chewy's duck/goose.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 08:32:18 AM »
My specialty pet food store is now carrying this brand, so I picked up a couple of cans for Pookie.  I haven't given it to him yet, but I'd REALLY like to add something to his rotation (and maybe remove some things).  I'm glad I found this thread, and thank you, Amber and MC for posting all this!   :-* HeadButt HeadButt :-*
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2013, 02:29:17 AM »
Not sure why I never gave this brand a try.  I may have thought it was a bit pricey, compared to what I was feeding at the time.  ??  Anyway, I see they also have rabbit. 

Sooooo, did Amber like it?

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 08:48:29 AM »
Amber loves it, particularly the rabbit. She also like the chicken, beef, and lamb. I did call and make sure the rabbit  isn't from china before purchasing that variety, though. I doubt she will get it again any time soon, I can't afford it atm, but when my finances improve I will be keeping it on hand again.

I wish they had turkey available, but they don't.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2013, 04:55:31 PM »
You feed commercial raw and canned, Amber?
I just put in a pet food order, and forgot about the Hound & Gatos… again.  Grrrrr

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2013, 05:01:03 PM »
Tried giving Pookie the chicken.  He sniffed it and actually RAN from the dish.  He wouldn't touch it.  I don't know if it the food itself was bad or if he just did NOT want to try it, but that one goes off the wish list.   :(  I haven't tried him with the rabbit yet.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2013, 05:07:11 PM »
Tried giving Pookie the chicken.  He sniffed it and actually RAN from the dish.  He wouldn't touch it.  I don't know if it the food itself was bad or if he just did NOT want to try it, but that one goes off the wish list.   :(  I haven't tried him with the rabbit yet.

Probably not an appropriate response, but… HA HA HA!  I'm crying laughing.   funny2

Tags: