Author Topic: Could THIS Attorney Turn Things Around For Obligate Carnivores?  (Read 5764 times)

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Re: Could THIS Attorney Turn Things Around For Obligate Carnivores?
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2011, 08:45:33 AM »
Oh Pookie, what a great question!!!   I knew Purina & AKC have them, but googled for the "largest" one and check this out!!   :o

Check out the first one ---  Puke-a-nuba & Iams

VPI is proud to partner with these prestigous companies and affiliations.

http://www.petinsurance.com/Partnerships.aspx

On their site is this -- these things look TOO familiar

Top 10 Pet Medical Conditions of 2010
Nation’s Largest Pet Insurer Reveals Most Common Causes of Veterinary Visits
Brea, Calif. (February 22, 2011) – Veterinary Pet Insurance Co. (VPI) policyholders spent nearly $43 million in 2010 treating the 10 most common medical conditions afflicting their pets. VPI, the nation’s oldest and largest provider of pet health insurance, recently sorted its database of more than 485,000 insured pets to determine the top 10 pet medical conditions from the previous year...
[/size]

Sorry I couldn't copy the columns right -- the 1st listed is Dog; Middle is cats;

Dogs                                                                Cats                                                              

1. Ear Infection                                        1. Lower Urinary Tract Disease                                

2. Skin Allergy                                          2. Gastritis/Vomiting                                              
3. Skin Infection/Hot Spots                         3. Chronic Renal Failure

4. Gastritis/Vomiting                                  4. Hyperthyroidism

5. Enteritis/Diarrhea                                  5. Diabetes                    

6. Arthritis                                              6. Enteritis/Diarrhea

7. Bladder Infection                                  7. Skin Allergy

8. Soft Tissue Trauma                               8. Periodontitis/Dental Disease 8. Skin Inflammation

9. Non-cancerous Tumor                           9. Ear Infection

10. Hypothyroidism 10.                            10. Upper Respiratory Infection

http://press.petinsurance.com/pressroom/02222011Pet_Conditions_2010.aspx
[/size][/size]    http://press.petinsurance.com/pressroom/02222011Pet_Conditions_2010.aspx

Exotics are listed too -- wait till you see theirs :o

I have these on my website from Dr. Fox stats for several years ago and "bite abscess" (I believe it is) has fallen out of the top 10 for cats -- Dr Fox stated that this was associated  with animals which are allowed to "free roam."  

I think I got the columns a little neater now  ;)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 08:54:17 AM by CarnivorousCritter »

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2011, 09:23:21 AM »
I think this says it all:

Even the healthiest pet may eat something resulting in an upset stomach or have itchy ears potentially indicating an undiagnosed ear infection, said Dr. Carol McConnell, vice president and chief veterinary medical officer for VPI. “Having a pet insurance plan in place can be just as important for these kind of unexpected medical conditions as it is for emergencies and chronic illnesses.
[/size][/size]

http://press.petinsurance.com/pressroom/02222011Pet_Conditions_2010.aspx

I have Dr. Fox' permission to share with whomever, so here goes (had to take something out though or Hub Pgs will get mad >:D):

A 2004 listing in order of frequency of the ten most common claims of over 6,400 medical conditions that Veterinary Pet Insurance. Inc. received from cat and dog owners certainly reveals a high incidence of the most probable ‘junk food’ related diseases in the dog and cat population of the U.S....

For cats: Urinary Tract Infection; Stomach inflammation; Kidney disease; Bite Abscess; Diabetes; Hyperthyroidism; Inflamed colon; Conjunctivitis; Ear infection; Skin irritation.

–As for the contribution of highly processed commercial diets to the sickness and suffering of cats and dogs, the fact remains that animals often make spectacular recoveries, not when put on special prescription diets, but when taken off all such ‘junk’ convenience foods, and are instead fed balanced diets appropriate for their species (e.g. no cereal-based diets for carnivorous.
..) - Michael W. Fox, B. Vet. Med., Ph.D., D.Sc., M.R.C.V.S
[/size]
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 09:29:12 AM by CarnivorousCritter »

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2011, 09:57:40 AM »
Sorry another post!  BIG shock --Notice ^ Hyperthyroidism moves up a couple notches!

--- MMMMmmmmmm Good!

Energizing and Slimming Through Complete Nutrition Iams Weight Control is the healthy way to help pets lose weight without losing energy. Formulated with 10% less fat than Original formulas, this vet-recommended diet contains a special blend of carbohydrates in combination with the fat-burner L-Carnitine to keep pets energized and feeling full,so they can gradually return to a healthier weight. Enhanced with vitamins, minerals and energy-boosting amino acids for 100% complete and balanced nutrition for life.

Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Grits, Corn Meal, Chicken, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Dried Beet Pulp, Dried Egg Product, Natural Flavor, Sodium Bisulfate, Potassium Chloride, DL-Methionine, Brewers Dried Yeast, Fish Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Choline Chloride, Salt, Minerals (Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Carbonate), Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, N

[/size][/size]  http://www.iams.com/cat-food/Iams-ProActive-Health-Adult-Weight-Control?pid=4

I googled one of the things, sodium bisulfate -- take a look at these summaries -- couldn't choose just one:
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&cp=17&gs_id=3&xhr=t&q=sodium+bisulfate&pf=p&sclient=psy&site=&source=hp&pbx=1&oq=+Sodium+Bisulfate&aq=0&aqi=g3g-s2&aql=&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=b1f2da363eba176a&biw=991&bih=588

Oh I had to google amazon for ingredients  -- couldn't find them on Iams or Puke-a-nuba's websites.  Maybe I'm missing something???
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 10:11:43 AM by CarnivorousCritter »

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2011, 11:40:52 AM »
Oh Pookie, what a great question!!!   I knew Purina & AKC have them, but googled for the "largest" one and check this out!!   :o

Check out the first one ---  Puke-a-nuba & Iams

VPI is proud to partner with these prestigous companies and affiliations.

http://www.petinsurance.com/Partnerships.aspx

bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Sigh . . . oh well, I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask . . .

2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi