Author Topic: Roxy's Vet Visit (and more)  (Read 24480 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Roxy's Vet Visit
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2014, 09:22:38 PM »
Well there is one thing. If it were fungal, topical steroids like cortisone are often used to treat it.

How old is he? You don't think he's possibly having some kind of issues like my Daddy, do you?
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2014, 09:23:24 PM »
I don't know whether to laugh in derision, or ask for his name so I can go bop him on the head. How the heck is a bunch of sawdust and grain going to cure anything?

I missed the "in house cytology." I wonder if it's shown anything yet? It shouldn't be over a week at most before he knows something if he didn't send it somewhere.

IS the cortisone helping show any improvement?

"Science. Testing.  No company can compare to Hills."  I did ask him if he ever toured the Hills facility.  He said yes.  The year he toured... it was while he was in vet school.  I SO wanted to ask him... how much weight should be given to science and testing, on 8 young healthy cats for 6 months.  I kept my mouth shut, ONLY because I HAVE to have a vet.  BUT it did open the door for me to ask him if he knew of Dr. Hodgkins and her association with Hills.  He hadn't heard of her.  I said she is a real vet.  "I don't know if she has a website, but she did write a book."  Back up... when I used the term "chin acne," he knew I did some online checking.  Something, at some point, was said about online vets...by him... negative.  That is why I mentioned her being a "real vet."  Anyway, I mentioned her book.  Mentioned that I had the utmost respect for him and always found him to be pretty open minded and... "would he like to read it"  I just wanted him to CONSIDER reading it.  He said he would take a look.  He didn't know if he would read it all.  He would thumb through it, when he had time.  I said... (stab at humor TRYING to lighten the mood)..."There won't be a test. You may find it interesting, you may not." 

I assumed he got Roxy's test results right away.  I could have assumed wrong.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 11:07:54 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2014, 09:54:14 PM »
Well there is one thing. If it were fungal, topical steroids like cortisone are often used to treat it.

How old is he? You don't think he's possibly having some kind of issues like my Daddy, do you?

Just to be clear... she was given a steroid shot. 

Honestly, the more more I think about some of the things he said...  I think he FIRST got pizzy knowing that I did some online reading...and came up with chin acne.  However...I was ASKING, not telling him.  Anyway, I can understand him having issues with people diagnosing their pets, via the internet.   There is a LOT of carp mixed in, with the good stuff.  But he ASSuMEs an online presence always means "wacko." 
I did say to him (near the end of the visit)... "You created this monster,  (said with humor, referring to myself) when you first recommended wet food.  That is when I took to the internet and started searching... to learn more about cats and cat food." 

Anyway the visit continued down hill, when I (more than likely) made a face... when Hills was recommended.  He is definitely a Hills cheerleader. 

He is in his middle 50's.  No, I don't think he is having any issues.  I think it was a combination of things that set him off.  Could have included the client before me too.  I was half expecting him to call and apologize. 

« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 09:59:12 PM by Lola »

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2014, 10:12:58 PM »
I'm so glad Roxy's doing better!  multistars multistars

As for the Alnutrin . . . sometimes too much of a supplement can cause problems, just like a deficiency can cause problems.  I'm not sure which of those would trigger a rash/feline acne, but maybe something (or several things) did something to her system and her system didn't like it.

As for your vet . . . I'll join Dee in bopping him on the head.   :D

There's one way to confirm it's the Alnutrin, though not one that anyone would like:  after several weeks (or however long it takes cortisone to wear off), try the raw w/supplement again.  If it comes back, you'll know for sure.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2014, 10:23:28 PM »
So glad to know she's feeling better. When steroids work, they do work that fast.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2014, 02:59:39 PM »
Snip:  ;D
So take a Pepcid, or any acid blocker, and you reduce the absorption of minerals, make it harder for your body to digest what you’ve eaten, and reduces your body’s ability to kill bacteria that you’ve ingested with your food.

http://parenting-furkids.com/index.php?topic=3068.0

Roxy's issues are due to the Pepcid/Raw combo maybe? 

It just can NOT be the raw.  Raw is what cats are SUPPOSED to eat.  I keep going back and forth with the Alnutrin, but that doesn't make sense either.  6 cats and 1 dog...and she is the only one having any issues.  BTW I am ANAL about measuring the Alnutrin correctly. 
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 03:07:43 PM by Lola »

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2014, 03:40:33 PM »
Snip:  ;D
http://parenting-furkids.com/index.php?topic=3068.0

Roxy's issues are due to the Pepcid/Raw combo maybe? 

It just can NOT be the raw.  Raw is what cats are SUPPOSED to eat.  I keep going back and forth with the Alnutrin, but that doesn't make sense either.  6 cats and 1 dog...and she is the only one having any issues.  BTW I am ANAL about measuring the Alnutrin correctly. 

If she was having an issue with bacteria, I would think you would see signs like vomiting or diarrhea, not chin acne.  But I'm no expert.

I find it hard to believe the raw itself was the issue.  If anything, I would lean more towards the supplements.  I wasn't implying that you weren't measuring the Alnutrin correctly.  What I meant was that the Alnutrin itself may have too much/not enough of something that, in Roxy, caused the issue, while most other cats don't have a problem.  If that makes sense.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2014, 04:05:27 PM »
If she was having an issue with bacteria, I would think you would see signs like vomiting or diarrhea, not chin acne.  But I'm no expert.

I find it hard to believe the raw itself was the issue.  If anything, I would lean more towards the supplements.  I wasn't implying that you weren't measuring the Alnutrin correctly.  What I meant was that the Alnutrin itself may have too much/not enough of something that, in Roxy, caused the issue, while most other cats don't have a problem.  If that makes sense.

I was thinking the same thing...she would be barfing or something else.  I was just hoping ...

The way I measure their meal servings (eyeball portions), I thought it was a good idea for me to mention that I don't do the same, when I measure the supplements.  :) 

You make sense.  Guess I was just hoping, with 7 eating the same thing, the odds were in favor of the supplements. 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2014, 05:27:13 PM »
 HeadButt HeadButt

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2014, 08:30:39 PM »
You make sense.  Guess I was just hoping, with 7 eating the same thing, the odds were in favor of the supplements. 

It still could be.  The others might be absolutely fine with it.  She has issues, and maybe the Alnutrin triggered something new.  Then again, maybe not.  There's only 1 real way to find out, but I don't know if you'd want to try feeding it again (after the steroid wears off), just to see if she has the same reaction.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2014, 07:13:06 AM »
It almost has to be the supplement.  I want her to eat raw, so I plan to try again... see what happens and to know for sure.  I hate to do that to her, but... I don't know of another option.

There is also the worry of what to do, if all heck breaks out again.  I'm pretty sure going back to that vet is a done deal...at least for THIS issue. 

PS  I have considered a consultation with Dr. Pierson, but I don't have any test results or actual info. 

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2014, 10:41:07 AM »
It almost has to be the supplement.  I want her to eat raw, so I plan to try again... see what happens and to know for sure.  I hate to do that to her, but... I don't know of another option.

I know it's not balanced, but rather than feeding the HareToday raw, maybe just give her some raw chicken hearts or something like that? That way she gets some raw, without exposure to the supplement.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2014, 01:36:45 PM »
I ordered her - her own supply of Stella And Chewys.  She has no issues with it.  But...I have never fed it several meals in a row.  But (x2 :)) I'm really not expecting any issues. 

She is the one that REALLY needs an all raw diet. 
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 01:41:39 PM by Lola »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2014, 07:01:04 PM »
It's always the one who really needs the all raw that ends up having issues with it, isn't it.

I don't have any advice, just listening.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2014, 10:41:44 AM »
Her face and ears cleared up a LOT, at first.  Now, it seems like everything is in slow motion.  Maybe I'm expecting too much too soon.  OR maybe she did become sensitive to a particular protein and/or food.   pullingouthair

Going back to assuming there is an issue with the supplements.  I have the Stella and Chewys on order, so I'm not in a huge rush.  But I do have to find an alternative supplement...so I can test the "real" raw with her again.

PS  :) I did want to explain further, concerning something I said earlier....just in case. Meals are 5 oz of raw and 6 oz of canned.  It is the portions that are eyeballed.  Size, age, and activity level are the deciding factors.  Not the best scenario, I know.  It works (basically) for us and the furkids...for several reasons.  And... that is another reason why everyone is weighed once a month-ish.  Everyone, but Jenkins.  Still can't pick him up. 

Tags: