Author Topic: Fever  (Read 1619 times)

Offline Pet South

• Chatter Bug
  • Because pets are family...
    • Pet South on Facebook
Fever
« on: January 20, 2015, 02:39:17 PM »
Anyone know any home remedies to get a cat's fever down?
Because pets are family...

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: Fever
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 04:42:52 PM »
Nothing comes to mind, but I'm thinking a fever is a sign of infection.  You might want to get the kitty to the vet in case antibiotics are needed.  However, if there is no infection, don't give antibiotics -- they are useless against viruses.

I will try to search for more information when I get home.  Hopefully, some of the others will have some suggestions.  Meanwhile, sending purrs . . . grouphug

EDIT:  I know funds are tight right now, but if you're near a pet food store and they have it, I would encourage adding a probiotic to the sick kitty's food (and all the others) to help the immune system.  Just a suggestion.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 04:46:52 PM by Pookie »
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Pet South

• Chatter Bug
    • Pet South on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 05:04:29 PM »
Probiotic what? Didnt get to the vet today due to work. Going tomorrow. Giving antibiotics although it seems to be a virus

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 05:43:50 PM »
Just about any drug or grocery store now has probiotics in many forms. If you get capsules you can just break them open and sprinkle on food. Petco and other pet stores also have ones that are the same things specifically for pets.

If they're on antibiotics though, they need the probiotics halfway between doses of antibiotics. The antibiotics will make the probiotics useless if you give them at same time.

For everyday probiotics for V&B, I just give plain yogurt most of the time. I think yogurt and cottage cheese are the only 2 exceptions to not giving cats milk. But someone else here would know better about that.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pet South

• Chatter Bug
    • Pet South on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 06:06:19 PM »
Felix loves yoghurt and Charlie too. They used lick out the empty cups. Thats probably the best bet. Just gave Jemma, Fish and Charlie their antibiotics, omg

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 07:24:25 PM »
My holistic vet recommended a human probiotic by Jarrow to give Pookie after his dental surgery, since he was on antibiotics.  She wasn't a fan of the one I usually give him, but I have him back on it because the Jarrow capsules were small and several times I would shatter them trying to pry them open.  I was afraid some of the shattered capsule would get in his food.  But in a pinch, a human probiotic will do.  The one I give him now is this one, but that's because my pet food store carries it:  http://www.wholisticpetstore.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=553&ParentCat=50.

I checked my books and the only suggestion I found that might be useful is to add water to kitty's (wet) food to make sure he/she doesn't become dehydrated.  I did read that Aconitum 30C is the homeopathic for colds.  It may also help with fever.

If it's a high fever, definitely call your vet.  If it's a low-grade fever, the kitty may just need time to fight it, though I personally still think the probiotic would help.  I'm not comfortable giving human dairy products to cats, but that's just me.  It may be perfectly fine, I really don't know.  I'd be interested in what the other folks here recommend.

Colloidal silver is anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal.  My holistic vet doesn't think you can give it to cats, but I have given it to Pookie short-term (after his dental) and he seemed fine with it.  I only added a couple of drops to his food each day.  Whether it helped or not, I couldn't say.  You can find it at most health food stores.

One other thing:  if this is the kitty that got vaccinated while sick, it's possible that the fever is a reaction to the vaccine.  Depending on what the vaccine was for, there are homeopathic remedies that can be used to help.  Thuja is used for everything EXCEPT rabies.  The homeopathic for rabies is Lyssin.  (And you may want to have the vet report it, though they probably won't.  I think there's a way for you to report it as well, but I'm not sure).

I know finances are stretched right now, so please don't feel like you have to use all of these things.  I just wanted to put as much information out there as possible.  I would definitely add a probiotic, and add the water to the food.  Neither will hurt, and they may help.  fingerscrossed

I hope this helps (at least a little)!  Sending purrs that everyone feels better!  CatPurr grouphug

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 08:43:30 AM »
FYI, Lysine would also be helpful, as it's good against viruses.  Just another option to consider.

grouphug

Offline Pet South

• Chatter Bug
    • Pet South on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 08:46:00 AM »
Saw it at Petsmart yesterday, fighting with the vet bills right now

Tags: