Author Topic: Roller Shade issue  (Read 1553 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Roller Shade issue
« on: March 12, 2018, 09:11:34 PM »
Ok, I admit it:  I feel stupid asking this question.  But hey, if I can't be stupid among friends, then where?

I have roller shades in my bedroom.  This morning I tried to pull one up and it kept pulling down until it fell off the roller.  Meaning the roller was still hanging at the top of the window, but the shade part was no longer attached.

I have Googled but have not found anything to tell me how to fix this.  I'm assuming I can glue it back on, but I don't know what would be a good glue to use.  Gorilla Glue?  Is that a bit . . . overkill?  Mom suggested I staple it, but I'm nervous that the shade itself might rip over time where the staples are.  I'd really prefer not to buy a new shade, or replace both of them with something else.  Any suggestions?  Is there a glue I can use that's less aggressive than Gorilla Glue that would work?

Meanwhile, I swapped that shade for one in my spare bedroom.  Hopefully my mum and African violet by that window won't mind the change in light too much.   fingerscrossed

Thanks in advance!
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Roller Shade issue
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 09:17:27 PM »
I've used Gorilla Glue.  It is good, but not over-kill for anything I have used it on.  It is my "go to" glue.  Plus there aren't the issues with it, like there is with Super Glue.

I have rolling shades in my kitchen.  They are stapled.  They came that way though.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 09:19:16 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 09:18:48 PM »
I've used Gorilla Glue.  It is good, but not over-kill for anything I have used it on.  It is my "go to" glue.  Plus there aren't the issues with it, like there is with Super Glue.

To me, they're basically the same thing, lol.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 09:19:41 PM »
I don't stick my fingers together with Gorilla Glue. 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 10:15:35 PM »
Gorilla Glue Clear, but I'm not sure. I think it might melt some things like superglue does.  https://www.gorillatough.com/product/clear-gorilla-glue/

All surfaces must be clean and tight fitting. Clear Gorilla Glue will stain clothes.
1. Damp It
For non-porous surfaces only (i.e. metal, glass, plastics), lightly dampen one surface with water. Do not add water to bottle.

2. Glue It
Apply Clear Gorilla Glue to surfaces. Best at room temperature.

3. Clamp It
Clamp objects together for 2 hours. Full cure in 24 hrs. You can use heavy objects to achieve clamping pressure.

*Not recommended for use on polyethylene or polypropylene plastics.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 09:52:20 PM »
I've used Gorilla Glue before, that's why I wasn't sure about using it for something like this.  It's pretty strong stuff, IMO.  And then there's the clamping issue.  How am I supposed to clamp a shade to a roller?

*Not recommended for use on polyethylene or polypropylene plastics.

I have no idea what the shades are made of.  They're over 20 years old.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 09:58:16 PM »
You really don't clamp it. You put down some plastic wrap like Glad Cling, and then you lay it down with the pressure on the part that you've glued. If some of it sticks to the plastic wrap, it's easy to trim around it after it's dry.

You can actually use some kind of weight on it and not have it touch the part that's the glue-line.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 10:00:43 PM »
Thanks, Dee.  I still don't know what the shades are made of, though.

Would this be a job for Duct Tape?  Or maybe I need to suck it up and get new window treatments?  The one I swapped out from the other room came down off of the brackets this morning when I went to pull it up.

So not in the mood for this kind of carp . . .  Sorry for sounding cranky.  Getting attacked by a shade, two mornings in a row, is NOT how I care to start my day.   >:D

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 10:03:12 PM »
It sounds like the glue and rest of the parts are failing now. Yes you can duct tape them. You can even find pretty Duct tape now.

A southern toolbox: Duct tape and WD40

If it needs tightened, duct tape will do it. If it needs to be loosened, WD40 will fix it.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 10:10:08 PM »
 :-* :-* :-*

I'm leaving the stepladder in my room until I can try to fix the darn thing(s).  Because it won't shock me if it comes down tomorrow when I go to pull the shade up.  I could just leave it down, but I like to get some light in the room to help warm it up, and there's a plant next to that window (which has probably loved having the shade MIA for the last 2 days).

I don't know why the shade from the other room keeps popping out of the brackets.  It's the same darn thing!   bangshead bangshead

Oh well, at least it's down for the night.  If you hear a scream tomorrow morning, you'll know who it's from.   Silly7

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2018, 12:23:54 AM »
A southern toolbox: Duct tape and WD40

Add one screw driver, with both tips.  Screw driver handle works as a hammer also.  Tool box complete.   Silly7

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2018, 05:03:57 AM »
20 year old shades starting to break...it may be time to replace them, if you use them a lot.

Are they very expensive?

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2018, 08:31:30 AM »
20 year old shades starting to break...it may be time to replace them, if you use them a lot.

Are they very expensive?

I don't know.  I think my mother got them for me when I moved into my place, but I'm not sure where she got them.  JC Penney, maybe, and the one that was near me closed a few years ago.  I could look at Walmart, but the bottom line is, I really don't want to be spending money on things like that right now.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2018, 06:03:38 PM »
Just an update:  I did find them on JC Penney's website.  Since I'd rather spend my money on more important things like fuel for my car and food, I wanted to see if I could "fix" it first.

I was all set to do it this afternoon, after all my shopping was done, when I realized that I don't have any Gorilla Glue in the house.  I think I left it at Mom's for a repair that we still haven't done yet.   :-[  Okay, then we'll see what happens with tape.

I have double-sided tape, which I was going to use to hold the shade in place on the roller, and then use wide mailing tape and/or duct tape.  I put the double-sided on the roller where the glue had been (it's still tacky), but struggled to get the edge of the shade to line up on the roller, so I moved the roller down a bit and then put the edge over.  Only that didn't allow me to add the other tapes.  So . . . I'm leaving it with just the double-sided, and *knock wood* it seems to be holding.  It's back on my window and rolling up and down, so we'll see.  Even if it works for a few more months, that'll be something.

fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2018, 08:10:46 AM »
bananamiddlechild

Tags: