Author Topic: Mazy cat keeps wanting to eat my sprouting lettuce leaves.  (Read 2218 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Since I haven't gotten any potting soil yet I tossed some lettuce seeds (a variety) into the cat nip pot (I always ahve a pot of nip grouwing on the porch in the summer)

First, they took a very long time to grow so I am thinking cat nip and lettuce don't go together very well  funny2

But anyway now that they finally have gotten to be an inch or two high Mazy cat kept eating them.

So I pulled them out.

Should I have left them?  Would they be good for her?  I kept thinking about how badly the grass eating messes her up, so I didn't want to risk it.

Is there something else I could plant that would be safe and beneficial for her to eat?  That's what the cat nip is supposed to be for (in addition to being a mosquito repellent) but she rarely nibbles on the nip leaves.

I don't take them in the yard any more at all.  I know they miss it, though they don't fuss about it.  But I just can't cope with the way the grass eating messes Mazy cat up so much.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: Mazy cat keeps wanting to eat my sprouting lettuce leaves.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 10:25:11 AM »
Should I have left them?  Would they be good for her?  I kept thinking about how badly the grass eating messes her up, so I didn't want to risk it.

Is there something else I could plant that would be safe and beneficial for her to eat?  That's what the cat nip is supposed to be for (in addition to being a mosquito repellent) but she rarely nibbles on the nip leaves.

I don't know.  I can tell you that for some bizarre reason, Pookie liked lettuce.  When I ate salad (in my recliner), he'd sit on my lap and try to pull the fork towards his mouth.  One day I gave him a sliver, thinking once he had a taste he wouldn't be interested, and instead he wanted more.  At one point he was actually drooling, waiting for me to give him a small leaf.   :-\  I don't remember if it ever gave him digestive issues, but I also made sure to give him no more than 4 very small pieces, one at a time.  Lettuce is mostly water, so I don't know about any benefits other than added hydration.   :-\

If she seemed to tolerate them, maybe they'd be ok for her.  The only other thing I can think of, plant wise, is cat mint (I think it's in the catnip family), but if she wasn't really interested in the catnip, I don't know if she'd care for the cat mint.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 10:48:25 AM »
You could always let her eat a little bit of them at a time, supervised, then put the plant somewhere that she can't get to so that if it upsets her, it doesn't do it too much.

Every dog I've ever had loved salad. It's why I prefer to feed them lettuce over letting them graze grass if I don't give lettuce.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 11:40:29 AM »
Thanks you guys.  The thing is, this is Mazy cat we're talking about here.  Everything has the potential to screw her up for days.  I don't think I'm going to risk it.

I have read somewhere about growing sprouts for cats, don't remember where.  And there is that Spirulina product by Mercola....I know some in the IBD group use that.

But if it's not non-GMO I'm not sure it's even worth trying for her.  I think I've talked about it before, here but too lazy to look for it..

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 03:10:31 AM »
Like you said, because it is Mazy cat... I'd skip it. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 05:18:27 AM »
Thanks Lola.  I am.  She's just going to have to live without nibbling "greens".

Tags: