Author Topic: So close and yet  (Read 1459 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
So close and yet
« on: May 08, 2013, 03:57:56 PM »
so disappointing . . .

I've been keeping my eyes open for a holistic vet in my area, and saw some information on a clinic about an hour or so away that's open 24 hours, handles emergencies, and practices both traditional and some holistic care (e.g. chiropractic, acupuncture, Chinese herbal therapy).  So I looked over their website and began to read the cat section of the FAQ page.  One question asks "What can I do about my cat who vomits regularly?"  Ok, I thought, this answer will give me an idea of how "holistic" this place is and how educated they are.

Sure enough, the answer mentions that the cat may be eating too much or too fast, or it may have hairballs.  It also mentioned lubricants and special foods for hairballs.   bangshead bangshead bangshead   Then it mentions that if those suggestions don't help, the cat should be seen by a vet to see if there's a medical cause.  YES, it's called "they're eating food Nature never intended for them to eat!"

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'(  *sigh*  The search continues . . .
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 03:59:52 PM by Pookie »
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: So close and yet
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 04:41:26 PM »
so disappointing . . .

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'(  *sigh*  The search continues . . .

I feel ya! I thought I'd found one recently though it would mean a drive south of Nashville that would take me 2.5 hrs one way. Looked in their blog to see things they'd covered, and lo and behold, for a fat dog:

You have a couple of options. Prescription diets with calorie counts around 300 cal/cup is one option. Another option is a boutique grain free higher protein diet. Per gram, protein contains less calories than soluble carbohydrates or grain based pet foods. Most dogs will lose fat on a higher protein diet.

So what's holistic about a prescription diet???
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 04:56:05 PM »
BTW...that practice I'm talking about has this in their office: http://pettao.com/

They sell only canned cat food, but the one I looked at had carrageenan in it. I know how y'all feel about carrageenan, and I saw "tofu" in some of the canine ingredients' lists. That's not happening w/MY dogs.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 04:58:25 PM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 09:31:05 AM »
I couldn't let it go.  I sent them what I think was a very tactful email, explaining how I'd found their website and the question about cats vomiting, and that my cats had seen multiple vets, tried medications, prescription drugs, food trials, endoscopies, and that it wasn't until all dry food was removed and they were on grain-free canned only that the problems stopped.  I also suggested that they visit catinfo.org and read Dr. H's book, as I learned a great deal from those sources, and I added that I hope this information would help their patients, and that they'd be willing to add it to their FAQ page.

They did respond, saying they're currently updating the page as they feel it's outdated, and this would be added to the "to do" list.

Here's to hoping!  fingerscrossed
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Tags: