Author Topic: Astaxanthin?  (Read 1430 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Astaxanthin?
« on: September 21, 2016, 10:41:49 AM »
I saw this link posted in a BRT FB post:

http://shop.mercola.com/product/astaxanthin-liquid-pump-for-medium-to-giant-dogs-1-bottle,1832,532,0.htm

Has anyone done any research into this stuff? Actual, REAL research is beyond my brain's ability at this time. It says this brand is made out of "Haematococcus pluvialis microalgae." I searched "Astaxanthin" here in the forum but nothing came up.

It also says:

CAUTION: Due to my Astaxanthin’s potency, this product may stain skin, clothing or other household surfaces.

And I'll point out that most human versions of this stuff are at much higher dosages, so if I ever decided to use it, I'm not sure that I'd use this brand for Vlad since he's the size of a small human, and the Mercola brand says up to 80 pound dogs.

That's about as far as I could grasp though. Just not sure what this stuff does, but was interested since I saw it in FB:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1758965001043123&id=1497372710535688
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 10:44:15 AM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: Astaxanthin?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 09:53:49 PM »
It says it's an anti-oxidant, which prevents oxidation aka damage to cells by fighting free radicals.  Omega-3s and certain vitamins can also be anti-oxidants.

What’s especially unique about Astaxanthin is its ability to cross your pet’s blood-brain and blood-retina barriers.

Translation:  It can pass through the barrier that protects the brain from many other chemicals, so the anti-oxidant supposedly would also work in the brain.  Same for the blood-retina barrier -- it supposedly would work in the retinal area of the eyes.

Do you think Vlad needs more anti-oxidants?
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Astaxanthin?
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 10:49:21 AM »

Do you think Vlad needs more anti-oxidants?

Thank you! I wasn't sure if it was anything ANY dog needed. Just couldn't wrap my head around what it was saying for some reason. If it crosses the brain barrier, then maybe I'm the one that needs it.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Tags: