Author Topic: Have any of you heard of "ACE"?  (Read 945 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Have any of you heard of "ACE"?
« on: April 02, 2016, 10:14:22 PM »
 "Acepromazine (Promace ®) and Chlorpromazine are two commonly used phenothiazine tranquilizers in veterinary clinics.  Their primary method of action is as a Dopamine antagonist, which suppresses both normal and abnormal behavior, including a decrease in coordinated locomotor responsiveness.  They are not anti-anxiety drugs and do not provide any analgesia (pain relief).

Ace has a variety of uses (ex: anti-nausea, anti-emetic, decrease itching due to allergies) but is routinely used to sedate fearful or aggressive dogs and cats prior to veterinary visits or as an at-home remedy for noise phobias (thunderstorms, fireworks).

Chlorpromazine (Thorazine ®) is almost identical to Acepromazine and is just as potent. When called Thorazine, it elicits a much stronger reaction from audiences as it was the first antipsychotic to be commonly used in the 1950s and 1960s.  Chlorpromazine is used in veterinary medicine as an antiemetic (anti-vomiting and nausea) and a tranquilizer."

Continued at:

http://www.holisticandorganixpetshoppe.com/do-not-give-this-to-your-fearful-pets.html

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Have any of you heard of "ACE"?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 10:37:51 PM »
I know about ACE.  In dogs, probably okay.  I would not allow it's use in any cat of mine. In fact I was very upset when my vet mentioned about a year ago, she thought we might have to give Mazy cat ACE for vet visits, because of her fear aggression. I quite calmly hit the roof a little and said that will never happen.

Not just because I adamantly feel that drugging cats, with ANY sedative,  does not help them, it makes them even more fearful.  But because dosage is not always accurate, and the wrong dose will kill a cat.  I've read some pretty sad stories about it.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Have any of you heard of "ACE"?
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 09:26:18 AM »
Once I asked the vet what the pre-surgery blood tests were for, and he told me to see if they would have a reaction to the anesthesia. I asked what would happen if they had a reaction to it, "Well we'd give them human anesthesia then. It costs more, but it's what we'd used."

I told him, "Well why don't we just skip the blood tests and go ahead and use the human anesthesia on him? I don't care that it will cost more."

I can't remember a sedative of any kind ever being given to any of them unless they were having to be sent over the rainbow bridge, and I still don't think it was ACE or Thorazine. I believe I'll be sure to ask from now on though after reading that person saying it killed her dog at the beginning of the article. I know for sure they've been given something else for nausea.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Tags: