Author Topic: Got an answer from Dr. Judy Morgan about my Heartworm Question. . .  (Read 1489 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
I asked:

Question. I've had several people tell me that giving my dogs heartworm medications is dangerous because I'm giving them poisons monthly--even though we live on a mosquito-factory-creek in the south. I see them touting holistic veterinary medicine and Black Walnut Extract. But from what I understand, Black Walnut is also poisonous. Isn't giving them another poison 2-3x a week (even though it's "natural") just as dangerous? In my mind, it's just replacing one dangerous thing with another.

She said:

I have to say I agree with you here. There are many more heartworm positive dogs in the south than in the north. Personally, I would follow the Safeheart protocol with low dose interceptor every 6 weeks, but that is VERY off label. You should run a heartworm test at least twice a year. Also, use a natural mosquito repellent spray, like the Vetrirepel. http://www.drjudymorgan.com/.../vetri-repel-flea-tick.../

Vetri-Repel Flea & Tick Repellent Spray | Dr. Judy Morgan DVM
DRJUDYMORGAN.COM

Now the one thing I can't do here is use those repellent sprays. All of them make me sneeze my head off. Lemongrass does. Citronella does. All of them do. I've tried plenty of brands in Petco and Pet Supermarket. But I've found that the Advantix II lasts a lot longer than a month since I don't wash them unless they either feel oily or smell--which is rare. They get vacuumed a lot to cut down on my allergies to dogs. I just watch them and will bathe them when they start scratching in warmer months and reapply the Advantix.

I'm giving Heartguard about every 5 weeks, and they get tested every year. So far (knock on wood) no problems. My fear of doing something WAY off label is that Vlad will get it, and treatment would be really hard on an Addison's dog.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 09:34:00 AM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Got an answer from Dr. Judy Morgan about my Heartworm Question. . .
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 04:10:28 PM »
Did her answer help you or not?  Sorry, I'm a bit tired...
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Got an answer from Dr. Judy Morgan about my Heartworm Question. . .
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 05:41:58 PM »
Yeah. I was wondering if we should really try that black walnut thing that so many people tout as an alternative to "giving poisons every month." Well it's a poison in itself that people give 2-3 times a week instead of once a month. In my mind, a poison is a poison is a poison, and there's no other way I can get myself to look at it.

People also tout not giving anything at all and just doing heartworm tests every 6 months, because "vital animals don't get parasites." Well Vlad is far from vital, and I don't trust that. I don't think it would be good for him to have to go through heartworm treatment.

So I'm just sticking with what we're doing since they don't have heartworms. There are already swarms of mosquitoes down at the driveway.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Tags: