Author Topic: Non-Reproductive Long-Term Health Complications of Gonad Removal in Dogs. . .  (Read 2154 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Non-Reproductive Long-Term Health Complications of Gonad Removal in Dogs as Well as Possible Causal Relationships with Post-Gonadectomy Elevated Luteinizing Hormone (LH) Concentrations

Received: Dec 16, 2015, Accepted: Mar 05, 2016, Published: Mar 08, 2016

Journal of Etiology and Animal Health

http://crescopublications.org/pdf/jeah/JEAH-1-002.pdf

J Etiol Anim Health, Volume 1, Issue 1

Article Number: JEAH-1-002

Abstract:

Throughout most of the developed world, surgical sterilization via gonadectomy has become a common tool for

combating the overpopulation of unwanted dogs as well as to eliminate the risk of reproductive diseases in pet dogs.

However, if a surgical sterilization method is chosen that enables a dog to keep its gonads intact while still preventing

reproduction, thismay avoid the problems discussed in this article. In the dog as in other normal adult mammals, the

hypothalamus secretes gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH), which stimulates the anterior pituitary gland to

release of luteinizing hormone. Luteinizing hormone (LH) stimulates the secretion of gonadal steroid hormones

(testosterone in males and estrogen/progesterone in females). These gonadal steroid hormones then negatively

feedback to the hypothalamus and anterior pituitary to decrease the secretion of GnRH and LH, respectively.

However, in the gonadectomized mammal, there is no negative feedback, which results in supraphysiologic circulating

concentrations of LH. In gonadectomized dogs, LH concentrations are more than thirty times the concentrations found

in normal adult dogs. Although the main role of LH is for reproductive functions (e.g. ovulation, corpus luteum

formation), there are LH receptors present throughout the body, not just limited to the reproductive tract. The purpose

of LH receptors in non-reproductive tissues is not known but may induce cell division and stimulate nitric oxide

release. With constant activation following gonadectomy, these receptors are up regulated, further magnifying the

effects of the extremely high LH concentrations in non-reproductive tissues. Canine gonadectomy increases the risk of

several non-reproductive long-term disorders caused by extremely high LH including obesity, urinary incontinence,

urinary calculi, diabetes mellitus, hypothyroidism, hip dysplasia, cranial cruciate ligament rupture, aggressive and

fearful behavior, cognitive dysfunction syndrome, prostate adenocarcinoma, transitional cell adenocarcinoma,

osteosarcoma, hemangiosarcoma, lymphosarcoma, and mastocytoma.
In this review, the relationship between LH

receptor activation in these non-reproductive target tissues will be discussed.

Keywords: Behavior; Cranial Cruciate Ligament Rupture; Diabetes Mellitus; Hip Dysplasia; Hypothyroidism;

Longevity; Neoplasia; Obesity; Urinary Incontinence.

© 2016 Khawla Zwida and Michelle Anne Kutzler. Volume 1 Issue 1 JEAH-1-002 Page 1 of 11

The study:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4rev6uIW8FiOWN4d3Z1LVAyNWM/view?pref=2&pli=1
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
hemangiosarcoma . . .

THERE'S a word I hope to never hear again.

I didn't read the whole thing but skipped to the conclusion:

Unrelated to any particular disease or major cause of death, years of gonad exposure prolong longevity [127].  Based upon the review of the literature, it becomes clear that canine gonads are not merely reproductive organs but critical to endocrine, musculoskeletal, behavior, and anti-neoplastic health. Among the non-reproductive functions of gonads, suppression of LH secretion and resulting LH
receptor over expression appear necessary in maintaining homeostasis. Therefore, a surgical sterilization method that enables the dog to keep gonads intact while still preventing reproduction is likely to prolong its health.

Does such a procedure exist, and if so, are most vets familiar with it?  Would pet owners be able to ask for such a procedure for their pet? 
I'm guessing this probably applies to cats, too?
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad

Does such a procedure exist, and if so, are most vets familiar with it?  Would pet owners be able to ask for such a procedure for their pet? 
I'm guessing this probably applies to cats, too?

Yes, they can do a tubal ligation on females and vasectomies on males just like humans. It just costs a bit more because the surgery takes longer. I'm not sure about if all vets know how to do it, but I know people have been talking about having "hormone saving sterilization" on pets for quite a few years now.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Thanks, DeeDee.  If I remember correctly, one of the benefits of neutering was it helps males be less aggressive/more friendly.  If the gonads aren't removed, do you know if that would still be the case?  Just wondering.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
I've known plenty of dogs that have been neutered and were still aggressive. In part of the study, it actually listed aggressiveness as a side-effect of neutering. Amazing what the "rescue world" has used as excuses to get everyone and their brother to fall in line with making less healthy pets.

Be totally aware, I'm all for people that aren't going to be responsible pet owners to have their animals fixed. It's just stupid to let intact animals run around hither and yon impregnating and getting pregnant at the drop of the hat with anything that smells good. But we're responsible owners. We have absolutely no intention of letting these 2 brats breed--purebred or not. A leash and a fence with continual supervision outdoors works just fine for birth control.

We refuse to be pressured into neutering anymore animals. All we've gotten with 3 that were neutered were health problems that could, probably, have been prevented if we'd not been pressured into every vaccine known to mankind, neutering, and processed foods. And I think that people should think about the new health information that continues to come out about these issues. Maybe it would make some start to become more responsible owners if they did.

Concerning their behavior from the study:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4rev6uIW8FiOWN4d3Z1LVAyNWM/view?pref=2&pli=1

Behavior and Cognition

The role of gonadectomy on behavior is complex

and evidence for benefits as well as detriments following

gonadectomy has been reported. Reproductive-related

behaviors (such as urine marking in house, mounting, and

roaming) are all reduced or eliminated following

gonadectomy [83, 84, 30].However, fear and aggression

tend to be exacerbated [85]. Fear of storms, fear of gunfire, fear of noises, fear

biting, timidity, separation anxiety, and submissive urination

all increase significantly following gonadectomy.

Gonadectomized females are also more reactive to the

presence of unfamiliar humans and dogs [86]. Although

some dogs may become less aggressive following

gonadectomy [84], dominance aggression [87]and owner-
directed aggression [21, 88] occur with a significantly

higher frequency in gonadectomized dogs compared to

unaltered dogs. The hippocampus and hypothalamus both

play important roles in controlling behaviors, especially

those pertaining to fear and aggression. Luteinizing hormone

receptors are abundant in hippocampus and hypothalamus

[89-91]. In addition, administration of supraphysiologic

concentrations of LH to gonadectomized animals can induce

aggression and other behavioral changes [92-94].

Cognitive dysfunction syndrome is a

neurodegenerative disorder of senior dogs, which is

characterized by both cognitive changes and

neurophysiological pathologies [95, 96]. Memory

impairment, poor problem solving skills, social disconnect,

confusion, and day-night reversal may occur as the

condition progresses. Gonadectomy significantly increases

the development and progression of cognitive dysfunction

syndrome in dogs. Increases in luteinizing hormone are

associated with declines in cognitive performance [97]. In

addition, elevated LH concentrations increase beta amyloid

plaque formation and are implicated in the development of

Alzheimer’s syndrome in humans [98, 99]. Male sex

hormones and systemic inflammation in Beta amyloid

plaques are also involved in the pathogenesis of cognitive

dysfunction syndrome in dogs [100, 51]. Therefore, it is

possible that LH and its receptor are important in the

development of cognitive dysfunction syndrome in

gonadectomized dogs.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Thanks, Dee.  I have to keep reminding myself that cats are not small dogs, but I can't help but wonder if a study on cats would show similar results.

Thanks for sharing this!

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
 thumbsup1

The one thing that I've never understood is dogs marking indoors. I've always had males, and none of them have ever offered to mess up our houses whether neutered or not after the first month of living here unless they were sick or something happened, and we didn't get home on time. I don't consider leaving a puddle in the kitchen marking. It was just our faults that they couldn't wait any longer.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
but I can't help but wonder if a study on cats would show similar results.

I'm pretty sure it would. After all, some of these same issues correlate with humans, so why not cats too? Why not ANY mammal?

Tags: