Author Topic: Nice Reminder Poster  (Read 2258 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Nice Reminder Poster
« on: September 03, 2016, 11:56:30 AM »
Nice and Neat
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Nice Reminder Poster
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 12:41:39 PM »
Wow, that really is gooooooooooooood info all in one place!  Thanks so much.
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 09:07:13 PM »
 wow1  DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 03:51:21 AM »

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 05:42:40 AM »
I have a question.  The poster mentions bone broth as bone.  Can you tell me more about how this would work, things like how concentrated it should be, how much to use, etc?  Since I do not have a grinder, I will have a lot of bones, and this seems like a good way to use them, but I want to get it right.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 10:48:45 AM »
Bone broth is supposedly the minerals/vitamins "leeched out" of the bones.

However, I'd never use it for a main source of calcium. If I'm feeding boneless beef, I give V&B calcium citrate supplements from Vitacost.

Here's why:

http://nourishingbroth.com/uncategorized/got-calcium-how-much-is-really-in-your-bone-broth/

https://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/bone-broth-calcium/
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 02:56:29 PM »
Bone broth is supposedly the minerals/vitamins "leeched out" of the bones.

However, I'd never use it for a main source of calcium. If I'm feeding boneless beef, I give V&B calcium citrate supplements from Vitacost.

Here's why:

http://nourishingbroth.com/uncategorized/got-calcium-how-much-is-really-in-your-bone-broth/

https://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/bone-broth-calcium/ 

It was kind of hard for me to imagine using it as a total replacement for bones or other calcium, so I am not surprised.  I had hoped maybe I could use it to replace a portion of those items, but I think, if you believe it would be safe, I will stick to just using it to replace some of the water when I mix up the food.  Would this be okay?  I am still learning about bone broth, to be honest. 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2017, 04:07:29 PM »
I had hoped maybe I could use it to replace a portion of those items, but I think, if you believe it would be safe, I will stick to just using it to replace some of the water when I mix up the food.  Would this be okay?  I am still learning about bone broth, to be honest. 

That would be fine. You know that if you eat a lot of eggs, you can dry the shells out (or feed whole and raw), turn them into powder, and use that for calcium. "One whole medium sized eggshell makes about one teaspoon of powder, which yields about 750 – 800 mgs of elemental calcium plus other microelements, i.e. magnesium, boron, copper, iron, manganese, molybdenum, sulphur, silicon, zinc, etc. There are 27 elements in total."--https://www.healingnaturallybybee.com/calcium-made-from-eggshells/

I think that MC might have a source for already prepared eggshell calcium (I'm not positive), but never use dried, ground bone from online because all kinds of things (like lead) have been found in it.

If you decide to use a calcium citrate as replacement, it's 800-1000 mg. per pound of food.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2017, 05:58:02 PM »
I use Alnutrin's egg shell calcium for their prey model meals, except for Jennie who gets a wing or neck. (they get prey model on Sundays)

I use bone broth instead of water in Mazy cat's EZcomplete meals.  Well not entirely.  I used to use a whole ice cube (tablespoon portion) of bone broth, but it seemed to give her a bit of her old "FLUTD" trouble, so I cut it down to half a tablespoon of bone broth with a little more water to give it the right texture.  She loves it.

Jennie likes bone broth too but doesn't get it as often.  Queen Eva doesn't seem to care for it mixed in her EZcomplete, but will drink a little of it when it's fresh out of the pot.

PS I do know that quite a few people in the IBD group who make their own egg shell powder.  That is just too much work for me. Maybe when I retire. :)

Tags: