Author Topic: I made some...  (Read 1804 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
I made some...
« on: January 18, 2015, 06:44:32 PM »
I made some homemade orange jello, and Vlad seems to want this as bad as he wants Halos when I eat them. It's just frozen orange juice concentrate, water and gelatin powder.

Do you think it's okay to give them this? Would this count as a real fruit? If it is, I need to wait until 9 before letting them have any.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pet South

• Chatter Bug
  • Because pets are family...
    • Pet South on Facebook
Re: I made some...
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 06:51:27 PM »
Is it plain unflavored gelatin?

http://moderndogmagazine.com/gelatintreats
Because pets are family...

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 07:07:47 PM »
Is it plain unflavored gelatin?

Not after I put that frozen orange concentrate in it. I was just wanting some orange jello for dessert and of course, didn't have any. Don't ask me why I want weird things like that. But I usually don't eat Halos until somewhere between 9-10 at night, and I always share then when it's been 4 hours after they ate their meat.

But I put the whole 6 oz. can of OJ into it.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 07:10:32 PM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 07:09:47 PM »

Hmmm...that coconut one sounds yummy. Going to have to try that sometime.

Offline Pet South

• Chatter Bug
  • Because pets are family...
    • Pet South on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 07:29:57 PM »
I read a lot about coconut for dogs lately. Supposedly very healthy
Because pets are family...

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 07:56:43 PM »
I read a lot about coconut for dogs lately. Supposedly very healthy

V&B get coconut oil on part of their meals. Worked wonders for Vlad's puppy acne, and I just never quit giving it to them. I just have to be careful and measure carefully with Barkly. It has an anorexic effect on him if I give him much over a half teaspoon.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 08:15:20 PM »
What's a Halos?

OJ is high in sugar is all, so don't give more than a taste, and give him something good for his teeth to chew on after.

I never heard of making jello from frozen concentrate OJ.  What's it look like?

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 08:38:59 PM »
Looked about like this except a bit lighter colored: http://realfoodrn.com/homemade-jello-cups/ 

I used 2 tbs of gelatin b/c 1 tbs takes too long to set.

I can't use kombucha either b/c of the tea in it--can't have tea and take colchicine.

So it was just 1 1/2 cups hot water to melt the gelatin + 1 can of defrosted orange concentrate.

Halos are little clementines (made for children and better than Cuties I think) that are wonderful. But Vlad thinks they're wonderful too, so I always end up sharing them when I get a 9:00 snack (because for some reason, this is one time he'll beg for MY food to the point of pushiness).

Hubs said that with as much juice as I put in the jello, I'd better consider it a real fruit and time it like I would regular fruit.  But they've forgotten about it now that it's back in the fridge and I don't have a bowl in my hand.

Since they had their birthday cake with the sweet meringue on top for their lunch today, I think tomorrow I'll mix up some gelatin with chicken broth for them to have while I'm eating the orange.

Tags: