Author Topic: Jennie developing an intolerance to beef?  (Read 29519 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Jennie developing an intolerance to beef?
« on: January 17, 2018, 04:37:37 PM »
I've just narrowed this down, but it's been going on for a while. At first not as regular, but now I have found the pattern.

Jennie (normal health) is having a soft smelly poop twice a week. She gets beef, one meal, twice a week. The pattern is this smelly soft poop 3 days, almost to the hour, after she has had a beef meal. She gets beef for supper Sunday and Wednesday. And now I'm seeing every Wednesday and every Saturday, this smelly mucusy sometimes large, poop.

I never heard of a protein intolerance taking 3 days to show up but the beef is the only consistent thing, with the poops. Any thoughts?

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Jennie developiong an intolerance to beef?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 04:42:57 PM »
Cut the beef out one week.... see what happens. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Jennie developiong an intolerance to beef?
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 04:56:05 PM »
Cut the beef out one week.... see what happens. 

This.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
Re: Jennie developing an intolerance to beef?
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 05:00:02 PM »
Yes of course I intend to do that thank you both.  That wasn't what I am wondering about. I just never heard of any cat taking 3 days for the reaction to show.

It's consistent, three days after she has the beef, she has those yucky poops.  I've gone back several months in the records now. Some weeks there is no reaction. But lately, the last three weeks, it's been every Wednesday and every Saturday. Her other supper meals rotate between chicken thigh and turkey thigh and there is nothing to indicate it is either of those.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 05:30:06 PM »
Yes of course I intend to do that thank you both.  That wasn't what I am wondering about. I just never heard of any cat taking 3 days for the reaction to show.

Is it always the same poultry protein each night before the soft poops?

Dannyboy had several food issues, and it was almost immediately that he'd start reacting after getting something he shouldn't have.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 05:54:21 PM »
Is it always the same poultry protein each night before the soft poops?

Dannyboy had several food issues, and it was almost immediately that he'd start reacting after getting something he shouldn't have.

No.  Sometimes it is chicken the night before and some nights it is turkey.  The only pattern is the 3 days after the beef.

Sunday night is beef.  Monday is chicken or turkey.  Tuesday is chicken or turkey.  Not always the same on the same night.  Wednesday night is beef.  Thursday and Friday again alternate chicken or turkey, as does Saturday.

Mazy cat also reacts immediately.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 06:14:48 PM »
Then elimination or partial elimination is the only way you're going to figure it out. If removing the beef doesn't work, you're going to have to remove the others one at a time too.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 10:02:53 PM »
I just never heard of any cat taking 3 days for the reaction to show.

I've never heard of that, either, but . . . that doesn't mean it's not possible.  Pookie, like your Mazy, reacted to foods almost immediately to within an hour.  I don't recall him ever having poop issues as a result of food, other than when he and his sister were on the "prescription" IBD food, which generated a LOT of poop.

I'm wondering 2 things, and bear with me because this is just me "thinking out loud" -- perhaps she needs digestive enzymes (or more than what she currently gets -- I don't remember if she gets them or if it's just Mazy) to help with beef, and/or perhaps adding some ACV (again, or more than she currently gets) with the beef would help her with the digestion.  Another thought, add (more) probiotics when she gets beef.  Basically, I'm wondering if the beef is somehow placing more of a demand on her digestive system than the poultry, and therefore she needs more "help," whether it be probiotics, digestive enzymes, ACV or a combination of any of them.  If I had to start somewhere, I'd start with the ACV, because I have a sneaky hunch that beef needs a little more acid to help break it down.  I have no proof of that, it's just me having a hunch.  Because, and Heaven knows, I could be totally wrong, to me an intolerance generates vomiting or regurgitating, which is the body's way of getting it out ASAP, and not so much a poop issue.  Again, though, I could be wrong.  To me, a poop issue means she needs some assistance with the digestive process.

All that said, you need to do whatever makes you most comfortable, and if you'd prefer to go the "elimination" route, by all means do it.  It certainly couldn't hurt to try it.  Another option:  eliminate the beef for a week, and if the poops are normal, slowly add it back with some ACV and see if that makes a difference.  Personally, I'd hate to see her lose a different protein if all she needs is some additional digestive support, so testing the beef with something like ACV might be worth a go.  You can always stop giving the beef if nothing else helps.

Hug1 Hug1 Hug1
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 10:15:19 PM by Pookie »
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 04:59:13 AM »
Thanks Pookie, she already gets digestive enzymes with every meal because she is on EZc with every meal.  And probiotics with that meal.  However, the ACV is a good idea.

But first I will stop the beef and see if the problem goes away.  Like you I do not want her to lose her 3rd protein.  Well I could replace it with pork, because I never did introduce pork to them because I just don't have room for another protein in the freezer.

Once I've established it is the beef, for sure I'll try feeding it with ACV. But in the meantime I'll start the pork.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 08:48:56 PM »
Sooooo tomorrow we get a poop update?  :) 

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 08:22:37 AM »
I'll let you know as soon as she gives me one.  ;D I started her on the ACV yesterday.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2018, 08:31:40 AM »
I'll let you know as soon as she gives me one.  ;D I started her on the ACV yesterday.

thumbsup1

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2018, 09:05:21 AM »
I'm wondering if it's what the beef cows are fed. Remember the skittles thing?  That is true, you know. Waste candy put in beef cattle feed. When I do return her to beef (after I determine IF it's the beef) I guess I am going to have to go organic for her, for beef. It's only 2 meals a week (and one for Queen Eva) so I suppose I could fit it in the budget.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2018, 10:01:14 AM »
That is quite possible.  I always forget to consider what the animal was fed!!! 

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2018, 12:22:34 PM »
Jennie had a normal "raw fed" poop just now, with one exception.  Normal size and texture and consistency, just a shell with a bit of fur.  BUT. It still smells bad.  But what it smells like..I am beginning to realize (had this aha moment last night) is s.boulardii.  Mazy cat's poop smells the same way.  I started Jennie on a small amount of the s.boulardii when these Wed/Sat bad poops first started, before I noticed the pattern I mean.

I am stopping the s.boulardii for Jennie, keeping on with the ACV, and continuing with the elimination of beef, and will see what happens.

I am reluctant to stop the s.boulardii for Mazy cat, I feel she needs it.

Tags: nutriscan