Author Topic: Martha Stewart allegedly in favor of declawing  (Read 4775 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Martha Stewart allegedly in favor of declawing
« on: May 05, 2014, 07:03:14 PM »
According to American Veterinary Workers Against Declawing:

https://www.facebook.com/AVWAD

Martha Stewart advocated declawing today on her radio show. Let's tell her this is not OK and help educate her. Please Tweet a message along these lines: @MarthaStewart: Declawing cats is NOT humane - it is outlawed in 30+ countries for animal cruelty.

American Veterinary Workers Against Declawing Comment may be left on her facebook page, too:
https://www.facebook.com/marthastewart?fref=ts

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Martha Stewart allegedly in favor of declawing
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 08:05:17 PM »
DeeDee...
@MarthaStewart: Declawing cats is NOT humane - it is outlawed in 30+ countries for animal cruelty. http://www.pawproject.org
Modify message
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 10:42:36 PM »
Got it. Will send something tomorrow a couple of times too.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Bogie

• Charter Member
  • Yapper
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 10:52:06 PM »
marthra stewart, what do you expect?  when will this person please disappear, are the jails still full? 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 04:03:16 PM »
MAYBE the Tweets and such will reach her... and she will learn... change her beliefs... and SHARE! 

Offline Furkid Parent

• Charter Member
  • Yapper
  • NOT the Twitter Furkid Parent.
    • Parenting-Furkids
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 06:46:46 PM »
From the blogger ^^^

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 06:58:37 PM »
How disappointing... 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 09:22:04 PM »
A comment from a reader.  Snip:

What the HECK is the matter with these organizations that minimize the suffering of our small domestic pet cats? They are anatomically almost exactly alike so why would their suffering be any the less than the big cats?

I guess vets that care for big wild cats don’t make the lucrative income that the small animal vets make. I betcha that is why this unnecessary and inhumane procedure routinely continues.

Blogger's response:

Jo – the topic could be discussed for hours on end, but unfortunately much of it is tied to economics. We live in a current state where many of us can’t even afford to give our cats basic care on a regular basis – veterinary income has to be generated somehow to make up for the loss and declawing seems to be a very lucrative business from what I understand. -

The blogger is clearly upset with Martha Stewart, but is she truly giving vets a "pass," due to economics?"  Martha Stewart having an opinion is one thing, the vets are the ones DOING the declawing.   :-\

http://zeezoey.com/blog/scratching-the-surface-on-declawing-cats-and-trying-to-uncover-the-reality-of-martha-stewarts-opinion-on-the-controversial-subject/comment-page-1/#comments

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 08:37:19 AM »
See, this is my logic (such as it is):  if you're a good vet, I'm going to keep coming to you.  You don't need to do unnecessary procedures or sell me something I don't need/want.  I will come to you because I TRUST YOU.  And if you're good, I will recommend you to anyone who will listen.  If even a fraction of those take my advice and come to you, and you make their pets well because you understand the value of a species-appropriate diet, etc. then hopefully they will recommend you, and you'll have more customers/patients, etc.  And so the cycle goes.  So you'll have MORE business, and more revenue, not less.

But, that's MY logic, which apparently doesn't seem to work well in today's world.   Silly7
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 04:00:52 PM »
I guess what blows my mind is that the author, of the article, wanted Martha Stewart to use her influence (as a celebrity) to spread the word about declawing.  Yet, the author seems to be letting the vets, that perform declaws, off the hook. 

Why should a celebrity be more "responsible," than a vet? 

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2014, 07:26:47 PM »
... but unfortunately much of it is tied to economics. We live in a current state where many of us can’t even afford to give our cats basic care on a regular basis – veterinary income has to be generated somehow to make up for the loss and declawing seems to be a very lucrative business from what I understand.

This kinda hits home.  I never really related to this until I fell in love with a Mercedes Benz dealer.  People just can't afford these cars, and their maintenance anymore.   It's not fair, it's been his life, and he put everything he had into this dealership.  I'd have no problem with him & his mechanics "tinkering" a little, to get people to bring the cars back for maintenance & parts more often, but he won't.  :(

I wish he'd just get people who are loyal to Mercedes to extend their credit to upgrade to the better, more expensive Mercedes Series.  Have suggestedf this but he won't budge.  >:(
 It's easy to get credit!! Because the banks are desperate too!  My young nephew gets credit card apps all the time!! 

I feel sorry for the Porche dealer down the road too  :(   He's a good friend and a GOOD GUY!!!!   :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(  I HATE this economy  >:(  so can see where that person is coming from.

Hi Pookie  HeadButt HeadButt HeadButt HeadButt

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2014, 09:18:18 AM »
Hi CC!  It's good to "see" you!

I guess what blows my mind is that the author, of the article, wanted Martha Stewart to use her influence (as a celebrity) to spread the word about declawing.  Yet, the author seems to be letting the vets, that perform declaws, off the hook. 

Why should a celebrity be more "responsible," than a vet? 

I'll confess, I didn't read the article.  A celebrity isn't more reponsible, however, they DO have the ability to draw a lot of attention to issues that most folks aren't aware of.  If Martha brought attention to this particular issue, would the public be more likely to question or refuse the procedure, or (if really outraged) try to get it banned in the US altogether?  We may never know.

As for vets being responsible . . . remember, these are the same people who don't question the nutritional information they're taught in vet school.  So are they REALLY going to question a procedure like declawing, if they're taught that "it doesn't hurt the cat," etc.?  Some might, but most probably don't, or it wouldn't be offered in so many practices.   :(

They should be responsible.  But out of their own ignorance (or greed?), they're not.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2014, 01:28:05 AM »
I think what Lola was trying to say (and I was too busy whining because a lot has changed since last winter, personally. Sorry  :-[ ) is
It appears to me her post was not so much addressing what Martha & the vets are doing. It's how people REACT to what they are doing. Martha is doing one thing. Having an opinion, regardless of how clueless.  The vets are physically doing TWO (bad) things.  Where are all those SAME angry people?
Worrying ALLLL  about Martha  :( 

Martha is famous enough, sure, but she still isn't a licensed Doctor with the licensed, expert education, etc.  I also doubt she's ever taken a course in cat anotomy.  I also wouldn't pay her for her trusted, expert input regarding an animal -- any animal. 
Well who CAN I pay for those things?
They declaw, AND push carb=laden cereal. How could we trust anything to be diagnosed objectively?

But back to reality:  That MARTHA!!  How dare she!! 
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 01:40:42 AM by CarnivorousCritter »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2014, 11:53:11 AM »
What caught my attention was...

The blogger wrote an awesome article.  IMHO 
Martha Stewart stated declawing was fine.  The blog author tried, in several ways, to get in touch with her ... hoping to educate Martha.  If Martha happened to learn, and agreed, that declawing was barbaric... and spoke out about it.  People (at least some) WOULD listen.  Like it or not, people listen to celebrities that they admire. 

Vets that do declaw, aren't going to change anytime soon... apparently.  Sooooo, if the vets can't be made to stop... maybe a person with celebrity status "power" can change the minds of the pet OWNERS.

I thought it was very cool... the effort the blogger put into trying to reach Martha.  Then the wind was sucked out of me, when the blogger stated that vets have to do it for economic reasons.  I felt (and I could be wrong) the author TOTALLY gave vets a pass.  Her comment threw me... because of her strong anti-delcawing stance and the amount of foot work involved trying to reach Martha Stewart.  If vets HAVE to declaw, because their bank accounts are short... then why all the effort?   

Clear as mud? 

Tags: