Author Topic: Queen Eva's emergency  (Read 1912 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Queen Eva's emergency
« on: March 28, 2016, 07:56:13 PM »
Good grief.  Queen Eva fell off the half wall that goes around the stairwell, down to the stairs below.  I was standing right there, saw her land flat on her ribs on the stairs.  Terrifying!  She ran up the stairs and into the bedroom, thankfully on the bed instead of under it. I approached her and tried to feel her for anything broken and she growled at me.  That's all I needed, I was reaching for the phone.

Thankfully my vet clinic was on cal until 8 pm. Thankfully it was 7:40 when I called. Not my vet, but she was very nice and capable all the same.

Queen Eva doesn't appear to have anything broken or severely bruised, no internal injury, no obvious pain reaction during the examination but she may be sore and have some inflammation tomorrow. She offered pain meds for tomorrow, "just in case" but I decided to wait, I hate for Queen Eva to be in pain, but I wouldn't give her anything when I am not going to be here to watch her anyway, and it's better, if she does have some inflammation, for her to keep still, I don't want her tearing around because she's stoned on pain meds.

If she seems severe I will call and get something.

Ironic isn't it that this happened when she is going to be there Wednesday morning and Friday too.  Poor thing.

She walked right into the carrier when I put it on the bed, didn't even have to try to get her in it.

I even had the presence of mind to turn off all the burners on the stove, I was making my supper when it happened.

Here she is now, in her Warm Spot (bathroom next to the heater, which I have turned up high for her)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: Queen Eva's emergency
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 08:31:26 PM »
Poor kitty, I hope she's all right.   fingerscrossed fingerscrossed  Thank goodness you saw it happen and were able to reach the vet so quickly!

Crossing paws and fingers that she's okay and no meds needed.  GoodVibes  fingerscrossed GoodVibes  fingerscrossed GoodVibes  fingerscrossed
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 11:04:56 PM »
THAT is scary!!!  Sure glad you were able to get her checked out right away.  Beautiful picture of her BTW.  Hugs to you both!!!
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 05:20:37 AM »
Thanks you guys.  She seems okay this morning.  But I don't think the trip was a waste, because my peace of mind is important! It was a bit of a nightmare driving, I'm blind driving at night anyway, but when it's pouring rain and high winds, ugh!

But it was worth it to not be worrying about internal injuries. I just wonder how willing she will be to walk into the carrier tomorrow morning and Friday morning now.  funny2

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 08:57:35 AM »
I'm glad she's all right.  *whew!*

I just wonder how willing she will be to walk into the carrier tomorrow morning and Friday morning now.  funny2

Yeah, good luck with that!   Silly7
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 03:57:30 PM »
I'm glad she's all right.  *whew!*

Yeah, good luck with that!   Silly7

Actually Queen Eva has never had any trouble with the carrier. I used it for a long time when I first started taking her out in the yard with the other cats. 

First, she got in the carrier and I carried her out to her Castle (large dog crate) and she walked from the carrier into the Castle.  When it was time to go in I opened the door of the Castle, and she walked into the carrier and I carried her in.

Once she was ready to run free in the yard, I put the Castle away, but continued to carry her out and carry her in in the carrier.  I wasn't yet ready for her to associate the door with going in and out.

This continued for about a month.  One day she told me she was ready to go in on her own by dashing in the door with the other cats when I brought her carrier to her.

I continued to carry her out for a few more days (letting her run in with the others), then one day she told me she didn't need it any more for going out either by...when I opened the carrier for her, instead she went over to the door and stretched her body up against it.

But still, she's always walked right into the carrier even all these years later. And she's never dashed the door.

The computer I had all those pictures on was the one that crashed, but I may have some on photobucket if you want to see them. :)

Tags: