Author Topic: Raw Food Co-Op  (Read 3247 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Raw Food Co-Op
« on: March 06, 2015, 03:16:44 PM »
Does anyone buy dog or cat food this way?  If so, can you explain how it works?  I keep reading about them, but it isn't getting any clearer.   Silly7
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Raw Food Co-Op
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 04:46:37 PM »
The whole purpose of cooperative groups is to save money by buying in bulk amounts that one person wouldn't be able to store unless they were a business. Most of the heads of the co-ops require a fee for making this chance available to you.

Here's what NORMAL co-ops do:  http://www.carnivorecarryouttenn.com/category_s/1845.htm

You must be a Co-Op member with your yearly membership dues paid in order to place orders for proteins and product. Memberships are due Sept 1st 2014 and expire Sept 1st 2015. We do not prorate the memberships as this money is used to keep the Co-Op truck & enclosed trailer it excellent working order. Members that allow their dues to expire, will be removed Sept 1st 2014 from our private Facebook group. Ordering privileges will be revoked and any orders pending delivery will be cancelled. A reinstatement fee of $30 will be implemented along with the $30 membership dues that will expire Sept 1st 2015. These fees must be paid in full before any orders are accepted.

BUT, some of the places listed in http://www.keepthetailwagging.com/shop-through-a-raw-food-co-op-to-save-on-raw-dog-food/ do NOT require those fees.

BTW--if anyone knows any distributors or co-ops not listed at KeepTheTailWagging, Kimberly would like to know about them so she can add them to the list.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 04:52:23 PM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 05:44:50 PM »
Thanks, DeeDee.  I marked your response unread, so I can read (and process ;) ) the info later. 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 05:09:09 PM »
Since a dog can eat ground raw cat food, but not visa versa... our Lacy dog eats what the cats eat.   I would need a cat co-op. 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 05:46:47 PM »
Cats can't have the single ingredient foods with you adding those supplements?

http://www.freshrawdogfood.com/product-category/az/single-ingredients-az/
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 07:30:22 PM »
I don't know...
Cats (and dogs, I assume) have to have certain percentages of meat, bones, and organs... plus the supplements.  I need simple, so I don't make anyone sick... or worse.  That is one of the reasons I feed the ground raw foods (with a supplement that I add) from Hare-Today. 
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 07:33:48 PM by Lola »

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 08:25:05 PM »

(and dogs, I assume) have to have certain percentages of meat, bones, and organs

Yep. Most (prey model) say these percentages for dogs:
80% muscle meat
10% bone
5% liver
5% other organs

Then others put it this way:

80-85% muscle meat, fat, connective tissue, skin, heart, lungs, etc.
10-15% edible bone
2.5-5% liver
2.5-5% other organs

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 08:41:34 PM »
In the link that you posted... it stated that the single ingredient is not a balanced meal.  I got "hung" up on that.  BUT... (light bulb moment)  once the supplements are added, it becomes a balanced meal.  Sooooooo, it would work for dogs and cats... with the "cat" supplement added. 
Am I finally getting a clue? 

Isn't a supplement added to ground meat, bones, and organs better though?
All Natural Coarse Ground Chicken Breast Plates with Rib Meat, Boneless, Skinless Breast Trim.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 08:45:22 PM by Lola »

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 09:18:07 PM »
I think that's right. I'm not positive any of them have bone, but if you look at the "details" on each one, it tells you what's in them and the beef has "beef hearts, beef trim." I haven't looked through the others though.

If you go look through their "treats" they've got all kinds of goodies:

http://www.freshrawdogfood.com/product-category/az/treats-az/

I wonder if cats would love chicken feet as much as dogs do?

Their case products have some nice goodies in them too:

http://www.freshrawdogfood.com/product-category/az/case-products-az/
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 09:20:20 PM by DeeDee »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 09:21:57 PM »
A food co-op is probably a good thing...for someone with more brain cells than I have. 

Tags: