Author Topic: The 10 Worst Consumer Rated Dry Dog Food Brands For 2016  (Read 3335 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
The 10 Worst Consumer Rated Dry Dog Food Brands For 2016
« on: June 19, 2016, 02:01:57 PM »
This list isn't even remotely as long as it should be, but I guess if you're going to pick 10 of them, it'll do. I'm not sure how Beneful is #10 instead of #1 though since it should be really named Killeful.

The 10 Worst Consumer Rated Dry Dog Food Brands For 2016

http://www.thedogdigest.com/dog-food-review/the-10-worst-consumer-rated-dry-dog-food-brands-for-2016
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: The 10 Worst Consumer Rated Dry Dog Food Brands For 2016
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 10:46:06 PM »
  We highly recommend a product that contains

High in high-quality protein (muscle meat, not pieces and parts) High amino acid

Moderate levels of animal fat. Omega 3 – 6 are excellent for your dogs health.

High levels of EPA/DHA

High moisture content (prey is 70 percent water)

A few fresh cut veggies and a bit of fruit (to mimic stomach contents of prey)

No grains (carnivores don’t have a biologic requirement for grain)

No wads of potatoes or other starches to offset meat content

Why can't they just say "wet/canned food?"

My dad used to feed #9 to his beagles.  I don't know if the quality was any better 30-40 years ago, but the dogs did ok.  It probably helped that he would also feed them cooked meat when available (he hunted with them, so if he got rabbits or other animals, they usually were cooked and given to the dogs except for some of the deer meat), leftovers from dinner, and/or stuff from the refrigerator that would have otherwise gone in the garbage.  Basically they were canine garbage disposals.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 11:45:23 PM »
My dad used to feed #9 to his beagles.  I don't know if the quality was any better 30-40 years ago, but the dogs did ok.  It probably helped that he would also feed them cooked meat when available (he hunted with them, so if he got rabbits or other animals, they usually were cooked and given to the dogs except for some of the deer meat), leftovers from dinner, and/or stuff from the refrigerator that would have otherwise gone in the garbage.  Basically they were canine garbage disposals.

Back then, most processed dog food was horse meat. Many dogs grew up being garbage disposals as you said, and things like dog food were just supplemental extras thrown in when there weren't enough scraps. A lot of dogs didn't have the luxury of having supplemental food. They ate scraps or went out and hunted a bit. Dogs survived like this for ages and did just fine. Then the enterprising James Spratt came along and changed history for pets.

If you've never read the history of dog food, you'd probably find it interesting. Most all tell it the same way, but some have extra facts that others don't.

http://www.neatorama.com/pet/2013/05/20/Kibble-Me-This-The-History-of-Dog-Food/

http://test.luckydogcuisine.com/2015/05/16/history-of-dog-food/

But heaven forbid that anyone figure out that dogs could do just fine living the way they did since they became companions. That would kill someone's bottom line.

Besides, who cares if dogs live as long as they did in my parents' time when 15 year old dogs were a norm? That might mess with the bottom line of puppy mills and pet stores that sell those puppies.

It seems that the only ones not worried about bottom lines are those of us that love these animals--beyond belief to some.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 05:39:05 AM »
It makes me so sad that people either don't read labels, or simply don't care what the dog eats, or are grossly misinformed.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 04:36:21 PM »
It really is sad.  Most (if not all) of those "foods" are HUGE sellers at the average grocery store.  It is too easy for most people to pick up pet food, while doing their grocery shopping.  I also believe the warm and fuzzy non-factual commercials have a lot to do with it as well.

I've also noticed that people tend to think it is a good thing not to feed table scraps anymore.  They proudly say, "I don't feed my dog ANY people food." 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 04:48:25 PM »
I've also noticed that people tend to think it is a good thing not to feed table scraps anymore.  They proudly say, "I don't feed my dog ANY people food." 

I could be wrong, but didn't/don't a lot of vets tell people NOT to feed table scraps, etc. (for a variety of reasons like obesity)?  It seems to me I've heard that somewhere . . .  :-\
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 05:06:48 PM »
I could be wrong, but didn't/don't a lot of vets tell people NOT to feed table scraps, etc. (for a variety of reasons like obesity)?  It seems to me I've heard that somewhere . . .  :-\

A lot of them try that one. . .and the never-ending threats of stomach upset. Vets have so many threats about how bad it is to do that it's not funny. And then I get, "I hate that diet, but. . ."  >:D

Tags: