Author Topic: A Little Bird  (Read 2219 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
A Little Bird
« on: June 23, 2016, 06:13:27 PM »
This little bird was on my patio.  No other birds are around.  He can fly.  He flew behind our shed.  I'm not sure if he can fly well though.  He didn't fly very high or for very long.  Is there something I can/should do for him? 
We have birds that fly around, walk on the brick wall, grab a drink of water, play in the grass... but none of them ever hang around for long. 
I didn't touch him and I zoomed in to get his picture. 
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 06:15:17 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: A Little Bird
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 06:25:56 PM »
Never mind.  I found some info:

If the bird is uninjured you should ask yourself "Is it really an orphan?" Nearly always, the answer will be no—most baby birds that people find are actually recent fledglings that cannot fly well. The first thing to do is determine whether it is a nestling or a fledgling.

There is a nest in a cactus in my neighbor's yard. 

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/attracting/challenges/orphaned/document_view

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 07:30:09 PM »
Good to know!  Did the cats happen to see it (through a window)?
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 07:31:06 PM »
I put a sprinkle on low, about 10 feet away from where the bird is.  I just checked on him.  He is chirping his little lungs out and jumping around in the water.  :) 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 07:32:23 PM »
Good to know!  Did the cats happen to see it (through a window)?

No.  When he moved to the shed area, that took him out of view of any windows.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 08:26:52 PM »
Is it a house wren fledgling? They are very chattery.  If this is his first night out he'll be in the nest tonight, but then tomorrow they'll all be off.

And I was going to say, if you hadn't looked it up, it's best not to interfere, if he got to this far in his life, his parents are nearby. :)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 09:30:00 PM »
There were a few birds partying in the sprinkler.  I just watched from inside.... what I could see anyway.  I just now went outside to check, the bird is gone. 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 10:30:08 PM »
The little bird came back.  He was back on the patio looking in the sliding glass door of the dining room.  It just so happens it was dinner time for the furkids.  When Arrows went to do his run around the dining room table (his before dinner jog), the bird caught his eye.  He stopped for a nano second and then went to his spot to eat.  Funny... I thought a birdie looking in the window would draw a lot more attention.  The others didn't eve notice.

I watched the bird fly over the brick wall into another neighbor's yard.

Sorry I'm so boring, but it is just so darn cute!  We find dead baby birds in our yard from time to time, so it is WONDERFUL to see one alive and well!

From what I read, he is basically learning to fly.  His mom is likely keeping an eye on him and will feed him and care for him. 

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 10:41:52 PM »
The little bird came back.  He was back on the patio looking in the sliding glass door of the dining room.  It just so happens it was dinner time for the furkids.  When Arrows went to do his run around the dining room table (his before dinner jog), the bird caught his eye.  He stopped for a nano second and then went to his spot to eat.  Funny... I thought a birdie looking in the window would draw a lot more attention. The others didn't eve notice.

funny2

I wondered how they'd react to a live bird . . . now I know.  Priceless!

Sorry I'm so boring, but it is just so darn cute!  We find dead baby birds in our yard from time to time, so it is WONDERFUL to see one alive and well!

Not boring -- it is cute!  At the bake sale, one of the ladies mentioned that while she was watering her plants, a hummingbird started flying back and forth through the spray, giving itself a shower.  I love stories like hers and yours.   :)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 10:43:07 PM »
Not boring at all. You might want to keep around a small bag of bird seed for when things like this happen. I feed little ones on a couple of rocks just so they can build their strength to fly better.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 04:53:10 AM »
Not boring, it's fun. Remember my little hose wren family that nested in my snow shoe bag?

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 10:24:55 PM »
Normally, ALL the cats take interest in birds.  They watch out the windows for hours sometimes.  They watch them from the enclosure.  They watch them on TV.  Apparently, dinner time is no time for bird watching!  lol 

We have a humming bird feeder also.  They are cute little things!

No sign of the little guy in the yard today.  There were the usual birds flying around.  Some big.  Some small.  I'm going to assume one of the smaller ones was my visitor... and he figured things out.  :)

MC, I had forgotten about the birds and your snow shoe bag... thanks for reminding me! 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2016, 11:56:02 PM »

We have a humming bird feeder also.  They are cute little things!

When I have time to take care of them again properly, I'm going to get a couple of these things for ours. About 5 miles away, I know someone that has swarms of them every evening. I mean SWARMS! She says she goes through a gallon of fluid a day.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/48279798?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227036233535&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=79606395032&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=154681654352&veh=sem   Yeah, I know. But that's where I saw the thing. I'm sure someone else has them.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2016, 12:38:11 PM »
About 5 miles away, I know someone that has swarms of them every evening. I mean SWARMS! She says she goes through a gallon of fluid a day.

Wow!  The most I get is 2 pair, and sometimes a couple of (I assume) juveniles.  I get such a kick out of seeing one "guard" the feeder.

Tags: