Author Topic: Nova Scotia VMA has banned declawing  (Read 1325 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Nova Scotia VMA has banned declawing
« on: December 12, 2017, 05:20:23 PM »
I do not have a link for this yet.  The Paw Project has made the announcement that "Nova Scotia has banned declawing" but I don't think it's that, quite. 

Here is the entire wording of The Paw Project's post:

quoteDECLAWING BANNED IN NOVA SCOTIA. NOVA SCOTIA IS #1 reports Dr. Hugh Chisholm, Paw Project-Atlantic Canada Director.
"The Nova Scotia Veterinary Medical Association provides the following information.

At its December 12, 2017 meeting, The Council of the Nova Scotia Veterinary Medical Association agreed to the following change in its Code of Ethics – Section 46. A three-month education period will take effect immediately and this change in the Code of Ethics will come into effect on March 15, 2018.

No Member of the Nova Scotia Veterinary Medical Association shall perform the elective and non-therapeutic Partial Digital Amputation (PDA), commonly known as declawing or onychectomy, of domestic cats.

The NSVMA views elective and non-therapeutic PDA as ethically unacceptable." WHO'S NEXT? unquote

So it sounds to me like members of the NSVMA are prohibited from declawing (or will be March 2018) but Nova Scotia itself has not made it illegal in the entire province.

I have a message in to Paw Project asking for clarification, because seems to me vets who are NOT members of the NSVMA wil continue to be legally permitted to perform these mutilations.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Re: Nova Scotia VMA has banned declawing
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 05:21:49 PM »
I posted the FB link, why isn't it showing?

Never mind it's there

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 08:53:05 AM »
 thumbsup1
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 06:24:52 PM »
Declawing domestic cats will soon be a thing of the past in Nova Scotia, according to the Nova Scotia Veterinary Medical Association.

The association issued a statement after a meeting of its council on Tuesday saying it views the practice of elective and non-therapeutic declawing as "ethically unacceptable."

"A three-month education period will take effect immediately and this change in the code of ethics will come into effect on March 15, 2018," reads the statement.

multistars
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 08:50:01 PM »
Today's the day!

It is now officially illegal to declaw a cat in Nova Scotia Canada, for human convenience.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 11:51:53 AM »
 BanWooHoo
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: