Author Topic: Shadow back from the Vet  (Read 11079 times)

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
Shadow back from the Vet
« on: September 07, 2011, 06:01:16 PM »
So today Shadow had her Vet appointment, she was such a good girl.  She was put through manipulations of all her joints, nails clipped, temp check, and Xrays. The Vet thinks she has arthritis, though is concerned about one joint, and will have to look into this a bit more. She then mentioned an anitiinflamatory Metacam!!! for future, YIKES!!!  I told her that I have read a bit about this, and im not sure if I would want Shadow on this. Guess I have to reread the Metacam thread on here.
The Vet was very good and thorough otherwise. Shadow has been on Recovery SA for quite some time now, and she does not seem to be in any pain but still clicks when she walks. The good news is that she has lost weight, she is 12.74lbs :) So just a little more and she will be at her ideal weight. Im sure most of that weight is fur though, mol!!
Any thoughts on the metacam?? I was thinking maybe switching her to either regular glucosamine, or Cosequin. :-\
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
  • Respect-The-Star...Violators-Will-Be-Hung
Re: Shadow back from the Vet
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 07:26:42 PM »
I don't know anything about metacam, will have to read up on it. As long as its NOT Rimadyl.   cat4

I always say, and I'm sure you guys are tired of hearing it, but, when ya want to know about stuff, what works, what doesn't, you go to the source, that HAS to know.  Show people.  They have to know, they have cats, dogs, horses, worth thousands of dollors, and making a championship, requires beyond pickey and correct care.  They don't pin cats or horses, that look poor.  Show people have, to know, proper nutrition and what supplements work and what doesn't.  They were the ones, that told me, the evils, of Science Diet, and begged me to take him off it. 

I have a show next weekend, I will ask around.

Horse people know too, pick up a Quarter Horse Journal, and just look at those horses, that is big money horses.

They use a combo of glucosomine, condrotin and MSM.  I used straight MSM. It worked on my older mare, she moved so much better, I gave it to her in the winter, she used to get stiff, I can't tell you, how good it worked.

Start your research now, and read up on them now, start with the products at Only Natural Pet Store. What your looking for, is the one with the lower dose, with similiar ingredients, those are the ones, with little or no fillers. 

Put up a post, in the senior cat section, on catsfur, and ask people what they use. Once you start to hear about the same product, your on the right tract, and do the research on that. 

The only thing I do remember more than one person mentioning, was fish oil, my vet at one time, thought about putting Bump on it, for his issues, she recommended the nordic something, would have to look that up again. I solved his issues, with just proper nutrition management, he is no longer on any meds. 

Best of luck, will start doing research on this too for you, might not get too much done, have a show next weekend, but after that, he is off for a month, as long as its for the future, and you don't need it right now.

your pal
Bump

cat4 :-* Bumpurr1 :P dogstir1 TexasFlag kissyou survivorgif bumpgif   

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 07:36:33 PM »
I am adamantly against the use of metacam in cats except as a nothing to lose, quality of life is the only issue, situation.  I've posted on it in here in another thread

http://parenting-furkids.com/index.php?topic=544.0

I like cosequin for cats for mild to moderate arthritis pain, and Omega 3 fish oil can be beneficial too, it is a natural anti-inflammatory.  I use Nutramax Wellactin II (cosequin is also made by NutraMax)

When the pain becomes more debilitating than cosequin can cope with, I plan to turn to laser therapy for my next cat who has this trouble

http://www.companiontherapylaser.com/

there is also adequan injections, I can't seem to find the link I like for adequan info, I'll be back with it when I find it. :)

here it is:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/adequan.html

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 08:29:19 PM »
When our Leonard was prescribed Metacam by an emergency vet...our personal vet took him off of it.

There are a LOT of stories here: http://www.metacamkills.com/
Some may be sensationalized.  Some deaths may have been due to other causes.  Some deaths may have been going to happen, no matter what.
But again...still a LOT of stories.
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 08:52:46 PM »
Thanks guys for the input.:)
I have read some of the stories now about the metacam, there is no way Shadow is going on that stuff, its not like she is at deaths door. She is on glucosamine right now has been for about 2 months. Im thinking of getting some Cosequin, maybe this will help her more, though I would like to add MSM as well I think.  Ive tried a few Omega 3 oils, but they will not touch their food if I put that in it. I was squeezing Salmon oil capfulls in both my cats mouths, but it became quite a task trying to administer it. I wonder if they would eat Sardines?? would this be something good to give as a treat? Im guessing the Adequan will be something to look at down the road.

Bump I dont think all show cat parents know about nutrition as I know quite a few show people, the breeder (show person) my brother bought his Ragdoll from for example that feed Royal Canin  :-X
but we are glad that you are doing the best you can for your kitties :)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 06:28:37 AM »
Cosequin for cats contains glucosamine, chondroitin and MSN, all in one handy capsule of flavored sprinkles :)

My senior boy will not eat food with fish oil OR cosequin in it, and he already takes medications three or four times a day, every day, so he will be getting laser therapy when his arthritis goes beyond the slight stiffness I am noticing now.

That's a good question about the sardines.  Maybe post it in the nutrition section, I'd like to know the answer too.....

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 11:25:58 AM »
Shadow is not eating now. I think it is due to all the stress she was put through at the Vet. Im so worried for her.  Going to syringe feed her now. It has been quite hot here, but I gave her a cool bath to cool her down last night.  She is acting off,  just sitting on the couch, not happy :(

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 11:55:09 AM »
Shadow is not eating now. I think it is due to all the stress she was put through at the Vet. Im so worried for her.  Going to syringe feed her now. It has been quite hot here, but I gave her a cool bath to cool her down last night.  She is acting off,  just sitting on the couch, not happy :(

Oh hun, I'm sorry she's feeling punk today.

I was under the impression that bathing long hairs can actually raise their body temperature (unless you dry them right away), as the fur traps the water, making it heavier and closer to the body.  :-\

If I remember correctly, cats and dogs release heat through their paws (dogs also pant, of course).  Putting down some refrigerated tiles or something else cool (blue ice/gel packs?) to walk or sit on might be another option.

'Course, she could just be sulking :( ... hope she feels better soon.  cat4
meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 12:47:18 PM »
Oh hun, I'm sorry she's feeling punk today.

I was under the impression that bathing long hairs can actually raise their body temperature (unless you dry them right away), as the fur traps the water, making it heavier and closer to the body.  :-\

If I remember correctly, cats and dogs release heat through their paws (dogs also pant, of course).  Putting down some refrigerated tiles or something else cool (blue ice/gel packs?) to walk or sit on might be another option.

'Course, she could just be sulking :( ... hope she feels better soon.  cat4
Just go some food into her with the syringe, took her outside on her leash and she ate some grass.
Last night I only put her in so her paws would cool down, didnt soak her at all.  thumbsup1 though I did put a cool cloth on her too.

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
  • Respect-The-Star...Violators-Will-Be-Hung
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 04:36:40 PM »
When Bump won't eat or Smokey won't eat, which is their mission in life, mol, Smokey even went to college for it, mol, my vet says to mix 1 teaspoon baby food, chicken or turkey, Gerber, with some lukewarm water, so its like almost a broth.  If they won't eat that, in to the vet they go.

When they won't eat, they are not drinking either, and/or not getting their water, per say, from the wet foodies.
So you have to be very careful of dehydration, especially in an older cat, and especially, when its real warm, they are losing moisture, when they sweat, same theory as with humans, you have to stay hydrated on a real warm day.

The baby foodies gives them some nutrition, and the water keeps them from getting dehydrated.

With mine, if they aren't eating, at the next feeding, they go into the vet.

Hope she is feeling better soon. (((((((((((BIG HUGS TO SHADOW))))))))) 

:-* cat4 TexasFlag kissyou bumpgif

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 04:58:32 PM »
Sorry to hear that Shadow is in the dumps.  Hope she perks up SOON! 
Here's a kiss from Lacy for her:  :-*
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 05:44:35 PM »
I hope Shadow is feeling a little better by now.  If she enjoyed going outside, that's a good sign right?  All paws crossed for her and please keep us posted.

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2011, 07:54:18 AM »
Thinking of Shadow  heartbeatgif  Hope the little one is feeling better today  kittybutterfly sunshinegif

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2011, 11:43:03 AM »
I hope Shadow's feeling better.  Get well, Shadow! grouphug grouphug grouphug kisses3 shadow1
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2011, 02:01:56 PM »
Still not eating, and now Wilson is not eating either. They wont even eat their treats or bits of ham. Now I have to go to work. hubby said Shadow ate a little last night.  So im still syringe feeding. Off to the Vet they go tommorow if not better.
Do you think its because of the heat? It does not get that hot in here during the day, but at night seems to be the hotness of the day that warms up the house a bit.  The back rooms are cool enough.  Wilson woke me up at 3am puking a hairball, and Shadow had a bit of puking this morning,(clear liquid) I have given them both hairball stuff. They both ate a bit of grass yesterday when I took them outside for a bit. :'(

thanks for all your concern everyone :)
will be getting some baby food tonight too from work.

Tags: