Author Topic: Edit: Lucy and her dental cleaning...  (Read 10418 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Edit: Lucy and her dental cleaning...
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2014, 02:16:13 PM »
Yes, Lucy is doing fine.  I'm just a bit worried.  If she wasn't feeling so hot after vaccinations... what will dental surgery be like for her?  She has to have it done, the senior panel was done, and the pre-test was done. 
She will be fine.
She will be fine.
She will be fine.
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2014, 03:49:39 PM »
She WILL be fine.  fingerscrossed grouphug
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2014, 04:00:41 PM »
 grouphug GoodVibes GoodVibes HangInThere GoodVibes GoodVibes grouphug
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2014, 05:29:45 PM »
GoodVibes GoodVibes GoodVibes GoodVibes Everything will be fine.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2014, 04:57:16 AM »
Lucy will be okay.  Does your vet use sevoflurane anesthesia?  If not, can you ask for it? It's nerve wracking though I know.  I know you'll be glad when it's over so you can stop worrying about it all.

GoodVibes GoodVibes GoodVibes GoodVibes CatHug

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2014, 03:07:48 PM »
I think he does use sevoflurane anesthesia.  It sounds familiar.  I checked Lola's records... just states "anesthesia."  I'll have to ask.  His statements aren't very detailed.  :(   
I think my worry is just working over-time.  After the Lucky "ordeal"...

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2014, 04:48:30 AM »
Thinking of Lucy today, and you!

GoodVibes GoodVibes GoodVibes GoodVibes GoodVibes GoodVibes GoodVibes grouphug

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2014, 07:00:11 PM »
Thank you, MC.

I explained, this morning, breakfast would be later than usual.  I had planned to feed everyone after taking Lucy to the vet.  Yeah, good plan but...not going to happen!  There was all kinds of hissing and swatting.  Sooooo, I put Lucy in solitary confinement and fed the others.  Talk about feeling like a total creep!! 
Jenkins (the non-people cat) kept running back and forth to me and to the door Lucy was behind.  He doesn't meow, he squeaks.  Squeak.  Run.  Run. Squeak.  I think he was letting me know that I missed feeding one!  That certainly added to the guilt.  lol 

Lucy just kept looking at me, with big wide eyes, and softly mewing.  She is normally a yeller (and a hitter), if she wants my attention.  The softness was sooooo out of character for her. 

Anyway, once the vet got a good look inside her mouth... 4 teeth pulled and a 5th one was already gone!   :o 

She is home.   dance1 She ate a little of her favorite food.  Checked out the house... like she is seeing it for the first time.  Now she is resting.  The others are totally leaving her alone.  Thank Goodness.   

It might be a bit late, but I think I am going to HAVE to "push" raw chunks on everyone.  Other than brushing, that is the only way to keep their teeth in somewhat decent condition...right?

Lucy and Lola's recent dentals make me think of the people (myself included) that think their cats are just fine.  The others (not me) are usually arguing for dry, but... it just floors me that a cat that seems "just fine," isn't. 
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 07:01:47 PM by Lola »

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2014, 07:13:32 PM »
SO glad to hear she's doing well!

Other than brushing, that is the only way to keep their teeth in somewhat decent condition...right?

Lucy and Lola's recent dentals make me think of the people (myself included) that think their cats are just fine.  The others (not me) are usually arguing for dry, but... it just floors me that a cat that seems "just fine," isn't. 

It's rather expensive, but I've heard nothing but good about this spray: http://www.lebalab.com/

I've heard the newer, cheaper sprays on the market don't work the same for some reason.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2014, 07:34:42 PM »
I just can NOT imagine a spray working.  Not saying it doesn't... I have NO clue.  Do you use it? 

I know people are going to want to know....

What are the INGREDIENTS?
The herbs are Mints (latin name Lamiaceae) and Roses (latin name Rosaceae) in trace elements (small amount), stabilized in Ethyl alcohol 25% & distilled water.
All the ingredients are human grade.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2014, 07:41:24 PM »
I just can NOT imagine a spray working.  Not saying it doesn't... I have NO clue.  Do you use it? 

I know people are going to want to know....

I've never used a spray except a mouthwash type spray after I brush their teeth. http://www.petco.com/product/111562/TropiClean-Fresh-Breath-Fresh-Mint-Foam-Dental-Wash-And-Freshener-for-Pets.aspx

I've heard about it being great for years though. But with a large dog, I can buy a LOT of toothpaste for $50+ & it keeps them used to someone handling their mouth for the vet.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2014, 07:48:04 PM »
Maybe now that their mouths aren't so messed up... getting near them, with a toothbrush, will be possible. 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2014, 05:41:07 AM »
So glad to know Lucy has been through her ordeal and is doing well.  Once those extraction sites heal, I bet she will be a new cat.

There is no known preventative for resorptive lesions.  I brushed nightly with c.e.t. for years, it made no difference in Tolly's FORL.

I finally stopped with the c.e.t. because I couldn't reconcile myself with the bad ingredients, namely the sorbitol, which seemed to make both Tolly and Queen Eva sick. I didn't make the connection until I stopped for a while, then started it up again and certain symptoms came back in both cats. Then I had that lightbulb moment. I don't like the ingredients in any of the dental cares for pets products.  I refuse to use any of them.

Dental health in animals is largely genetic, anyway. Feeding the best diet you can is, in my opinion, really the only safe way to combat it. My vet has suggested to use a gauze or soft rubber brush and just rub their teeth, but I've decided not to do it. Gauze can be too abrasive on the gums, so you have to be careful to target only the teeth. (per vet instruction) and I haven't been able to find a "soft rubber brush".

All three cats have good strong healthy mouths at the moment, thank goodness.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2014, 09:53:27 AM »
Lucy normally is one that does not eat real raw chunks of anything... ever.  Except yesterday.  She grabbed a gizzard and ran with it!  It took her a while, but she ate it. 
With her not liking real raw, and her recent surgery... I was stunned. 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2014, 07:57:25 PM »
Just goes to show how much better she feels with those resportive lesion teeth gone!

bananamiddlechild

Tags: