Author Topic: Sweet Gump  (Read 4351 times)

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
Sweet Gump
« on: September 12, 2012, 01:51:18 PM »
Very sad news today. Sweet Gumpy has not been doing well, he will be going over Rainbow Bridge today :'(
We are purrring for his mum. Please know that we are here for you...(((hugs)))

rainbow3
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 08:50:51 PM by Lola »
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: Sweet Gump
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 01:55:45 PM »
Oh no!   :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Thanks for posting, Shadow.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 08:47:56 PM »
 :'(  My heart just breaks for Gump's mom and the other furkids.  I'm sooooooo sooooooooo sorry.   grouphug
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 09:54:26 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 07:16:32 AM »
Oh no, I am so sorry to see this.  It's always so terribly hard to lose our precious fur babies.

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 08:56:45 AM »
 :'(   rainbow3 rainbow3 rainbow3

Sooo sorry to see this  (ditto MC & everyone else)   grouphug grouphug grouphug  GUMP'S MUM grouphug grouphug grouphug

Thanks for thinking of Gump & Gump's Mum, Shadow.  grouphug

Offline Mo

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 10:21:11 AM »
I'm so sorry!

rainbow3 rainbow3 rainbow3 rainbow3

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 10:37:49 AM »
Thinking of you...     kissyou

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 01:35:44 PM »
I'm soooo sorry to hear this.

grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug

meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline Gump and Co

• Yapper
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 05:04:15 PM »
Shadow and Mum, thank you for posting about Gumpy. Thank you everyone. I saw this a few days ago, but wasn't able to post.

It's been really hard. I'm having a hard time and questioning everything. What I could have done better and if it was right to let him go right when I did. He was going downhill and his kidney values were all way up. He was having trouble walking and also not much was coming out when I carried him into the litter box. The vet called the day after I had taken him and gotten blood work, and she told me she had time to come out to my house within a couple hours to help him pass so I called back and told her we need to do it. But now I don't know if it was too quick. The night before I was really scared he would die right there and I didn't want it to be something terrible, so maybe I didn't think it through long enough that day. I could have had more time to be with him and grieve. I wrote about it in his diary on Catster. I made mistakes in the last year or two and it's hard to let go of the guilt. I know he was 18 and was lucky to have a good life for so many years, but there is still all the fear, questioning and pain about all of it.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 08:58:43 AM »
Aw honey.  grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug

I read your entry on Catster, and I think we do the best we can with the information we have at the time, and with what our intuition tells us.  If your instinct was that his body was shutting down, and that he was getting ready to go to the Bridge, then you were right to let him go and not to let him suffer any longer.  That was your final gift to him.

As for making mistakes:  we ALL make them.  We're only human, after all.  Believe me, there are MANY things I wish I could do over for Pookie and his sister.  All we can do is learn from the past and try to share what we've learned so others don't have to learn the same thing the hard way.  I'd like be able to tell you to let go of the guilt, but I know from personal experience that it's easier said than done.  When the guilt hits, please try to remind yourself that you gave him 18 years of love, and you did the best you could.  I know it may not be much consolation, but maybe in time it'll help lessen the guilt.

Those we love are always with us, and the love in his eyes in the pictures I've seen on his page is SO clear, I know he's still with you.

We're here for you.  Purrs and (((((((HUGE HUGS)))))  grouphug
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 09:01:01 AM by Pookie »
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 08:12:02 PM »
Wish I could give you a BIG hug.  
We "helped" our Leonard to the other side July 27.  They say it gets easier.  If it does, it is a sloooooow process.  
In a perfect world, our furkids would live to ripe old ages and pass peacefully in their sleep.  Wish I lived in that world.
Hang in there.   grouphug

How is Nadia doing? 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 08:22:40 PM by Lola »

Offline Gump and Co

• Yapper
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2012, 09:37:49 PM »
Pookie's mom, thank you so much. I appreciate all of your kind words. I guess I have to come to terms with the fact that no matter what we do, these beings just don't have the life span we do. Maybe I could have had a little more time?? Maybe if I had done everything perfect even a couple years? But there was a lot his body was dealing with from the last six years. I probably made some mistakes, but I tried to do a lot and life is imperfect. Thank you for saying that about his eyes; I did love his eyes and the way he looked at me.

Like many people, I only learned about feline health and nutrition after his first health crisis when he became diabetic in 2006.  That little boy is what made me so passionate about feline health.

Yes, Lola's mom, it is a sloooow process. It's just so hard having them with you for so many years and caring for them intensely and then they are just gone....Yes, if only our furkids could be with us for much longer. Maybe they can to some extent, maybe we can improve some things and extend their lives, but we will always have to face these losses...and it's never really enough time. But I had 18 wonderful years with the most amazing cat. I have to be grateful for that.

Nadia has been a great comfort. She was a bit disoriented and has had her sad moments. She is a sensitive kitty and has been very affectionate and it seems to have increased. I've been looking to find the next fur being. It's weird because both Gumpy and Nadia found me (as strays) and now it's weird to have to go and try to 'pick out' a cat...I'll just take it as it comes and see what feels right.

Thank you both again so much for caring and for your understanding.  grouphug

Lola's mom,  I'm so sorry about Leonard. I got your pawmail and I'll pmail you back once I figure out how to.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 09:40:12 PM by Gump and Co »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2012, 10:09:19 PM »
Gumpy was your buddy...your "baby."  An unconditional furball of love!!  We are all soooooo fortunate to have such wonderful furkids.  

I'm sure Nadia "feels" your sadness.  Kitties are SMART.   :)  She probably needs you, as much as you need her right now.  

Tags: