Author Topic: Figure And eFile For Free  (Read 1276 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Figure And eFile For Free
« on: February 13, 2012, 08:24:55 AM »
I used Turbo Tax Freedom for son's taxes.  EASY and free.   ;D 
If a person's AGI is 31k or less, or active military...FREE!
http://turbotax.intuit.com/taxfreedom/
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Figure And eFile For Free
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 12:40:02 PM »
Ah yes, e file. My taxes are as simple as you can get.  I own nothing, except my car (next month I will, anyway).  I have always filed short forms, on paper.

Now, my state is trying to require that everyone e-file. IN fact, they have stopped offering a "short form", to encourage this even more.  To do it, they have the tax payer go to their State Department of Taxation, and follow the links from there, which takes one to the Turbo Tax, where both federal and state can be done together. Well I hadn't done it before, but why not. It was indeed, very easy.

Within 30 seconds of submitting them,  both returns were rejected.  The reason I was given was that my name on my return did not match my name in my ss records.  Impossible, I thought.  I thought wrong.  I got out my ss card and looked at it. Seems all these years, 20 years I've had that card ( I did a name change when I married in March 1992) no one had picked up that there is a typo on my ss card.  I certainly never noticed it, and it's never been caught in all the years of paper tax filing, divorce, car loans, payrolls.

So I did what any sensible person would do and I called the ss administration.  I was advised that it was a simple matter, just go down to my local ss office and submit an application for a new ss card with the corrected spelling.

They were correct, it was very simple.  I even filled out the form on line and printed it and brought it with me.  The ss office isn't very private, and there were several other people, judging by what I inadvertently overheard, who had experienced the same problem when they attempted to e file.  I was told the same thing the other people were, that by the very next day, I would be able to re-e file.

For good measure I waited two whole days, then went through the whole thing again.  When the forms were not rejected right away In was ecstatic.  How simple! I thought.  I printed them out for my own records. 

And then, 12 hours later, they were rejected again, for the same reason.

So I just sent them in by mail.  My state better not charge me the $25 paper filing fee, I TRIED to e file, at least.

Hopefully by next year it will no longer be an issue.   Glad anyway to have the typo on my card fixed, imagine if I never found it until I tried to retire and actually collect social security!

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Figure And eFile For Free
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 06:04:05 PM »
Glad you got your ss card all fixed up.  Sounds like it was fairly easy too.   ;D I was married for several years, before I changed my name on my ss. Just laziness.  Never was a problem, until a few years ago.  IRS told me I had to sign my maiden and married names when I filed my taxes. I did that for a few years.  Finalllllly I got around to actually changing my ss card.  
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org