Author Topic: The on-going ever-evolving process of feeding Mazy cat  (Read 118939 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: The on-going ever-evolving process of feeding Mazy cat
« Reply #285 on: January 09, 2018, 05:59:13 PM »
If there's any chance at all that she has pancreatic insufficiency, she needs extra enzymes at every meal. I'm suspecting that because  the Denosyl didn't digest. I read somewhere that PI is common in animals that had been fed an improper diet in the past. Their pancreas just gets worn out working so hard to digest it.

Hypothetically speaking, a cat that's fed kibble probably would have a pancreas that's more "tired" than a cat that's always been wet-fed.  Personally, I think adding enzymes to of her meals is a good idea.  Since she can tolerate the enzymes she's already getting, I would think that she could handle them in additional meals.  Even just a test -- add them to 1 additional meal for a few days and see how it goes.  But . . . you need to do what you think is best, and with what you can handle.

Sorry to sound so crabby and ungrateful.  I'm not ungrateful;.  I'm just carrying a load of stress and anxiety that is intolerable. I often wonder what my life would be like if I wasn't chronically sleep deprived. What I would be like. I haven't slept in a thousand years.

Hug1 Hug1 Hug1 Hug1 Hug1
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #286 on: January 09, 2018, 06:17:38 PM »
I didn't think you sounded crabby... if we are voting.  :)
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #287 on: January 09, 2018, 08:03:00 PM »
Thanks you guys.  HeadButt I do understand the causes and the likelihood Mazy cat might have some issues this way, given her dietary history.

Like I said, I have tried her on digestive enzymes other than the amount she gets from EZc, before.  She was on the Prozyme for quite a few months a number of years ago.  Her fur got nice but she became so lethargic while she was on it, barely moved, never wanted to play at all.

The Doctor's Best caused constipation. I do know how to introduce something new, and always go excruciatingly slow with Mazy cat.  And I do think I know her well enough to know pretty quickly if something is going to be all right for her or not.  I won't keep giving her something because it might help her, if it causes other side effects that affect her health and quality of life. The round marble poops and straining...it's not something you want top see a cat go through if it can be avoided and she's now been through it a few times when I've tried to change something.

Mazy cat has normal raw fed poops. A thin shell with fur inside. There is no indication that she has malabsorption issues.  Other than this odd single event thing with the Denosyl.  I might write to Nutramax and see if they have an opinion. I am prepared to be met with "we can't give medical advice ask your vet" but it might be worth a try.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #288 on: January 11, 2018, 02:11:04 PM »
Following her usual pattern when she goes 10 days or more between vomits, (skip a day, then puke again for two or even three more days) Mazy cat brought up her third breakfast meal this morning.  There was no denosyl in it.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #289 on: January 11, 2018, 09:53:17 PM »
Following her usual pattern when she goes 10 days or more between vomits, (skip a day, then puke again for two or even three more days) Mazy cat brought up her third breakfast meal this morning.  There was no denosyl in it.

There's good news (about the denosyl not being in her breakfast)!   thumbsup1

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #290 on: January 12, 2018, 05:01:46 AM »
1st meal came up this morning.  No denosyl.  I feel so bad for her though.  I much prefer it when she goes 7 days between vomits, then she doesn't keep puking for days after.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #291 on: January 14, 2018, 09:21:54 AM »
Just to keep things straight for myself and anyone else interested:

When Mazy cat goes 10 days or more between meal vomits she continues to vomit for several more days afterward, and usually has at least one very ill day. If she pukes every 7 days, it's just a one time event and she moves on as if nothing happened.

This last time was typical.  She went 10 days with no food vomiting then on the 11th day vomited her entire breakfast so far (3 meals).  I had to be very careful with her diet the rest of that day, small portions, lots of SEB, and bone broth, but no more apparent illness.

The day after that she was fine.

The 2nd day after, she puked her first breakfast, which contained her denosyl pill from lunch the day before. (very strange that pill never went through her system)  She was very ill all day, only wanting tiny amounts and bone broth and plain meat, no EZc added.

The 3rd day she puked her breakfast again, first meal,  and it was a 'violent' hurl, and foul.  No fur in it.

Yesterday, 4th day, after her 3rd breakfast meal, 15 minutes had passed and I thought we were safe, she suddenly started doing the hyuck hyuck.  She jumped down off her perch and ran downstairs to the cardboard, had a few more spasms and stopped. Nothing came up.  She sniffed around, seemed surprised there was no puke, then went about her business.

Today, day 5 after the 10 day span was broken,  so far she seems to be finally over it.

I should mention that during all this, she was pooping normally, but not with much fur in it, including today's poop.  So there is still a wad of fur to be moved out.

All this is typical of when she goes 10 days or more between episodes. 1st day Puke, 2nd day skip a day, 3rd day puke again and feel sick, 4th day puke again, normal after, and then 5th day  an almost puke.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #292 on: February 07, 2018, 04:13:41 PM »
So.  Mazy cat's pattern is, if she goes 10 or more days without vomiting, she will continue to vomit daily, and sometimes appear quite ill, for up to 5 days afterward.

7 days is her usually number, and she does not have that extended trouble when it's only 7.  This time she went 9 and she did not have that extended trouble.

I can't remember if I mentioned here that I have finally found a canned food she can eat and keep down, for emergency purposes. It's Castor & Pollux Organix line, and I'm using the chicken, which is USDA Certified Organic, and even more important non-GMO project Verified.  I bought the 3 oz cans.  I am using one can a week.  They get half an ounce each on Sunday, and half an ounce each on Wednesday.

I keep reminding myself to feed it as is, room temperature, stop warming it up for them, because if I DO have to use it as their food if the power goes out, it wil not be warmed up and I want them to be used to it that way.

So far I have not remembered until AFTER adding the warm water.  Doh1

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #293 on: February 07, 2018, 10:11:41 PM »
I keep reminding myself to feed it as is, room temperature, stop warming it up for them, because if I DO have to use it as their food if the power goes out, it wil not be warmed up and I want them to be used to it that way.

So far I have not remembered until AFTER adding the warm water.  Doh1

What I used to do, when Pookie was still here, and I knew a storm was coming that had potential to cause power outages, was to boil water and put it in a couple of thermoses.  That way I had hot water (or even warm) for at least a day, depending on how good the thermos was.  I'm embarrassed to say, I never thought to warm his food that way.  Instead, I warmed his food, a bit at a time, in a spoon over a tea light.   :-[  But I like your way better!   :)

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #294 on: February 16, 2018, 08:59:10 AM »
Thanks Pookie, seem to have missed your post before. Well using a candle to warm the food never occurred to me, that would work in a pinch for sure! Except I don't have any candles or tea lights here.  Guess I should get some.

Mazy cat had her check up and blood taken for the re-test after being on the denosyl for the last 6 weeks. 

I have been meaning to update this thread but was feeling so low about it that I didn't.

You remember the trouble I had when I went to the new formula of the Rad Cat turkey.  Well Now we're having the same trouble with the new formula chicken.  I thought I had one more of the old formula and all this month was going to be the transition month.  However much to my dismay, I was wrong and all I had left was new formula, with no time to transition.

So (DUMB IDIOT) for some reason I reasoned to myself well she's already transitioned to the turkey so it should be fine, so just start her on the new chicken.

What on earth made me think that?  How can I be so stupid, seriously?

Well of course it wasn't all right and while she seemed okay with it the first day, by the second day she was not and she puked three days in a row, the third day being she brought up everything she ate, so I finally stopped feeding her anything.

I've taken her off the chicken, and she's eating just the Rad Cat turkey (in her RC portions) while I back up, cut up the chicken into tinier pieces, and start to re introduce it a tenth of an ounce at a time.

I really don't know what I was thinking.  I transition her to everything when it's a new batch.  All meats, EZc, even her supplements, when I am getting low, if the next bottle is a new batch number, I transition slowly.

Idiot.

Anyway she survived her check up and blood work and having her anal glands expressed.  I finally remembered to ask for the GI panel.  Vet said they were working on going direct to Texas tech for the GI panels which would make it less expensive than going through Antech first but I didn't want to wait for them to set that up. She didn't know when it would be in place.  The GI panel is dreadfully expensive, but I don't care.  So she had her regular blood work and the GI panel.

Vet wanted to look in her mouth but I said no.  I said if you want to give her a whiff of gas, and look, that is fine with me, but I am not putting her through that awake.  You know she won't let you and it just gets her all worked up.

You may remember, last time I made them stop trying, too.  When they took her back for the bloods that time she was gone a very long time and I suspected they were trying again to look in her moth, which suspicion was confirmed when the tech reported Mazy cat bit her through the gauntlet. (served you right, is what I thought to myself)

This time she was gone only a few minutes, and right back to me, all settled in her carrier.

We talked again about the coughing, and vet said again to just keep monitoring and if it starts to get excessive, we'll do an x ray of her lungs. She asked if it was during exercise and I said no, Mazy cat plays quite hard every night and never coughs or gets out of breath when playing.  It's usually when she is at rest, or asleep, when she coughs.

Now she's had a tiny bit of breakfast (it will take me a long time to feed her today) and is washing the morning stress and smells off on the down throw with the heating pad on under it.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #295 on: February 16, 2018, 09:27:15 AM »
We talked again about the coughing

I must have missed that there was coughing.  How long has it been going on?

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #296 on: February 16, 2018, 09:40:24 AM »
I must have missed that there was coughing.  How long has it been going on?

Years. But up until the last couple of years it was so infrequent I always forgot to mention it at the vet. The last two years or so it's happening on average twice a week. That I know of.  Of course I can't know if she coughs when I am not here.

Because it happens when she's at rest, and because she snores quite a bit,  vet wonders if it's being caused by some post nasal drip, perhaps. Her lungs and heart sound clear and normal

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #297 on: February 16, 2018, 10:05:56 AM »
Have you considered an x-ray or ultra sound?

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #298 on: February 16, 2018, 12:58:42 PM »
Thanks Pookie, seem to have missed your post before. Well using a candle to warm the food never occurred to me, that would work in a pinch for sure! Except I don't have any candles or tea lights here.  Guess I should get some.

Fondue it?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UM2X76

with

https://www.amazon.com/Swissmar-F65400-Fire-Refill-33-8-Ounce/dp/B0081FK4FW/ref=pd_bxgy_79_2
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #299 on: February 17, 2018, 09:17:19 AM »
Have you considered an x-ray or ultra sound?

For what?

Tags: