Author Topic: Disgusting lack of vaccination ethic  (Read 5447 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Disgusting lack of vaccination ethic
« on: May 05, 2015, 05:35:57 PM »
Someone asked me awhile ago my opinion on cat vaccinations.  I gave it, including "no, your indoor cat doesn't need any more Feline Leukemia vaccines, nor does she need a distemper every year, that is a THREE year shot now, if at all, and for rabies, PureVax only.

Kitty had to have a dental, very stressful time as we all know.

Today kitty's owner was telling me a story about how much better she feels after her dental.  I said something about, she'll feel better since you've stopped all the extra vaccinations now too.  Kitty's owner said "Oh no, she had them all".  I said, oh, I thought you'd decided to get only the rabies.  Kitty's owner said "They wouldn't do the dental unless she had them all because they kept her overnight in the hospital".  I tried not to be judgmental.  I said "I never heard of THAT".  What could I do, she had to have the dental? I was asked. My answer was "I would have gone somewhere else."

Can you imagine?  What kind of unethical policy is that?  Rabies is the only vaccine required by law. A cat in a cage in a clinic should not be in any danger of contracting any disease, or spreading it.  Not to mention this cat has had FeLK vaccine every year of her life already.

As it happens I already have a very poor opinion of this vet based on an experience back in 2002.  My opinion has not changed.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Disgusting lack of vaccination ethic
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 07:35:28 PM »
Kitty's owner said "They wouldn't do the dental unless she had them all because they kept her overnight in the hospital".

WTF? Okay. Bear with me for a minute. The cat is going to spend the night in the hospital THAT DAY. The vet demands that the cat get vaccinations to be able to spend the night there, BUT the actual work of the vaccinations isn't going to occur for days or weeks. SO what the heck good is giving a cat vaccinations for the night? It's resetting the cat's immunity to those things, so it's even more likely that the cat could get sick being there around other animals that might be shedding illness.

Now if they'd put off the dental for a couple of weeks until the vaccinations actually had some time in the animal's system, to do their work, I'd understand it. But this is the biggest BS I've ever heard.

Daycare and boarding facilities here require that the animal has had their shots--and Bordetella. BUT, here's the kicker, the Bordetella has to be given AT LEAST 3 weeks and not MORE THAN 6 months BEFORE they'll keep them. Most of them won't keep puppies at all until they've had all their puppy vaccinations as well as the Bordetella. Same thing for group obedience, etc. classes.

Now, WHY do they think that vaccinations given the day of the dental are going to prevent ANYTHING overnight? D#*n! This is just STUPID!
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 12:41:43 PM »
No, no, the vaccines were done at the check up, the dental was scheduled for the next week or maybe two weeks not sure which.  That doesn't change the fact that there was no reason for that cat to have the FeLK vaccine. At all.  Greedy vets put cats at risk for no reason, it's ludicrous.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 02:51:10 PM »
Greedy vets put cats at risk for no reason

And that's it, in a nutshell.  Besides, I think they truly believe that vaccines are perfectly safe.  Never mind the pets that develop fibrosarcomas at the injection site, to the point where it's recommended to give rabies in the right leg and (I forget the other one) in the left so they can determine the cause if it happens to cause cancer, AND amputate the limb if it does.  Never mind that you're hitting the immune system with multiple diseases all at the same time, something that would never happen in reality.  Never mind that, with the possible exception of rabies, you're also introducing those diseases to the immune system in a way that bypasses how those diseases would enter the body in the real world.  No, no, they're perfectly safe . . .

bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 07:21:00 PM »
I'm sorry the vet talked your friend into the vaccinations.  What a load of BS!  My ex-vet ;) did the same to me.  Caught me at a weak moment... stressing over their dentals.  And I KNEW better! 

Pookie - Some opt for vaccinations being given in the tails now. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 09:39:39 PM »
Pookie - Some opt for vaccinations being given in the tails now. 

Yep, there, too.

Pet South - Wishing Teddy an "easy" dental tomorrow! 

Yes, I hope everything goes well!

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 12:42:18 PM »
Thanks Pookie and Lola. We dropped him off this morning. Will not be calm again until we get him back tonight. Always worry when they need to be sedated.

We hear ya.  grouphug grouphug grouphug

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 02:44:59 PM »
grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug Teddy grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline TFKblog

• Tails from the Foster Kittens
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 04:55:30 PM »
tail sticks aren't catching on because of the high risk of hitting something vital in the tail.. there isn't as much fat and muscle and too much spine and delicate tissues..

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2015, 06:12:41 PM »
That's interesting!  I haven't asked the vet about the tail vaccinations, for some reason it just doesn't appeal to me.   Maybe that's why.

Seems like it would really hurt.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2015, 06:34:01 PM »
From Little Big Cat (http://www.littlebigcat.com/health/vaccination/) -- she was being facetious in her last statement:

When vaccines were given between the shoulder blades, these cancers were inoperable because they would grow into the spine, ribcage, and chest. This became such a serious problem that now it is recommended to give the rabies vaccine in the right hind leg, and leukemia in the left hind leg—so that when a tumor does develop, the whole leg can be amputated and thus the cat’s life can be saved. I guess the FIV vaccine will have to be given in the tail, so it too can be whacked off in the event of cancer.

FYI, she discusses dog vaccines in this article as well.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2015, 10:03:02 AM »
From Little Big Cat (http://www.littlebigcat.com/health/vaccination/) -- she was being facetious in her last statement:

FYI, she discusses dog vaccines in this article as well.

It is sick.  Over vaccinating, same amount of serum given to every pet (regardless of weight), giving our pets cancer, etc... BUT we have a plan! 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: