Author Topic: The Outside Dilemma  (Read 64017 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: The Outside Dilemma
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2014, 05:37:16 PM »
I know Mazy has tummy issues, but why do you think Jennie eats grass?  Is something going on with her, that I can't remember?  Or does she eat it maybe, because she sees Mazy eat it? 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2014, 06:19:10 PM »
I don't know why any cat eats grass.  Every cat I've ever had, when given the opportunity, has eaten grass. With the exception of Queen Eva.  My ex husband used to bring in handfuls of it for my cats back in the day. I didn't want him to do it, but he did it anyway.

The only cat who has ever had difficulty with it is Mazy cat.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2014, 07:14:45 PM »
Hmmmm This is JUST me yapping... not arguing. 

Some of my cats showed an interest in grass, but only when they were kibble fed.  It is pretty much a given, kibble creates turmoil in their tummy's.   

My current 6 have no interest in grass.  They don't get to roam the backyard, but the grass does grow right up to their outside enclosure.  It pokes through the metal squares, before I trim.  :)  Some of them putz with the grass, but they don't eat it.  I should say... I only see them play with it, not eat it.  I don't see grass in any "deposits" either. 

Leonard was allowed to roam the backyard, because he wasn't a runner.  He didn't eat grass. 

The only cat I had that did eat grass, did have tummy issues.  I assumed cats eat grass so that they CAN throw up, whatever is bothering him/her... like dogs do. 

I'm going to have to check into this subject... I don't think I came to my conclusion, out of thin air, but...  ya never know! 

OTish  What kind of harness do you use?  I had one once, but I tossed it when one of them was able to finagle her way out of it.  I'd like to get another one, but a good one. 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2014, 07:51:44 PM »
On the flip side... 

I have had cats chew on flowers in the house... after the kibble feeding days were loooong over.  I don't remember who it was, or if it was more than one.  It was a long time ago.  I haven't "allowed" flowers inside since. 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2014, 05:32:45 AM »
I use these harnesses:

http://www.amazon.com/Coastal-Pet-Right-Adjustable-Harness/dp/B005OCWKSY/ref=sr_1_sc_3?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1401272990&sr=1-3-spell&keywords=sizeright+cat

Looks like they don't make the hot pink any more, which is the color I use.  The cats wear them loosely and could slip out of them if they wanted, but they don't bother.  Queen Eva is the only one who wears an H style harness, also a sizeright, but I don't see it on amazon at all any more,  she is too small for the figure 8 harness, even the H harness is a bit big on her.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2014, 08:48:26 AM »
Here I am again, agonizing over whether to have our yard time today.  Mazy has not passed last week's grass yet, though she is getting ready to, as she regurgitated her breakfast two days in a row, and pooped right after (with no grass) which means, I have learned, that the grass is working it's way through.

Beautiful day,  Just the kind of day I like to sit in my yard with the cats for a few hours.

It drives me crazy, WHY OH WHY DOES she NOT PUKE UP THE GRASS, when she pukes up everything else? bangshead :'(

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2014, 09:38:45 AM »
I always thought cats eat grass to help them bring something back up because they were having tummy issues.  I don't know if that's truth or myth, though.

Here I am again, agonizing over whether to have our yard time today.  Mazy has not passed last week's grass yet, though she is getting ready to, as she regurgitated her breakfast two days in a row, and pooped right after (with no grass) which means, I have learned, that the grass is working it's way through.

Beautiful day,  Just the kind of day I like to sit in my yard with the cats for a few hours.

It drives me crazy, WHY OH WHY DOES she NOT PUKE UP THE GRASS, when she pukes up everything else? bangshead :'(

I'm not saying you should do this, but just tossing the info out there:  if you want her to bring up the grass right away, you can give her 1/2 teaspoon (not 100% sure of the dosage) of hydrogen peroxide (in a syringe or turkey baster) after she comes back in. Keep her in the bathtub after you give it to her so clean up is easier.  It works in under 30 minutes (usually faster than that), but I don't know what damage the peroxide or horking will do, if any.

This is what I did after Pookie chewed the tail off of a toy mouse (he's a string-eater) to get him to bring it back up.  So I don't know that you want to make a habit of doing that, but I wanted to at least pass on the information as an "option."

grouphug grouphug grouphug
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2014, 01:21:57 PM »
I use these harnesses:

http://www.amazon.com/Coastal-Pet-Right-Adjustable-Harness/dp/B005OCWKSY/ref=sr_1_sc_3?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1401272990&sr=1-3-spell&keywords=sizeright+cat

Looks like they don't make the hot pink any more, which is the color I use.  The cats wear them loosely and could slip out of them if they wanted, but they don't bother.  Queen Eva is the only one who wears an H style harness, also a sizeright, but I don't see it on amazon at all any more,  she is too small for the figure 8 harness, even the H harness is a bit big on her.

Thanks.  Maybe I will give it a try again.  Or maybe I will leave well enough alone.  The outside enclosure seems to satisfy them.  It would just be cool to have one on one time... walking around the backyard. 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2014, 01:25:23 PM »
I always thought cats eat grass to help them bring something back up because they were having tummy issues.  I don't know if that's truth or myth, though.

I thought the same.  Except that does't explain Mazy keeping it down.   :-\

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2014, 02:47:40 PM »
I think the theories about why cats eat grass (or house plants for that matter) are all unfounded. I don't think anyone knows why an obligate carnivore likes to ingest grass and leaves.

Today was a successful day.  Not only did she bring up the grass (along with the Vets-Best laced meal I fed her prior to going outside) she kept down the follow up Vets-Best meal I gave her AND when we came back inside she pooped out last Sunday's grass.

bananamiddlechild bananamiddlechild bananamiddlechild

PS I thought about taking a picture of the poop so you could see how I know she pooped out the grass, but after I put the poop back in the scoop bag and washed my hands and got the camera I couldn't re-find the poop in the yucky bag.  Should have left it in the scooper.  I picked up the poop and all the sections were held together by strings of grass, that's how I knew.

She had a rough time deciding to poop out that grass though.  She kept getting in the box, then getting in the next box then the next, and then out of them again.  I encouraged her and she finally managed to get the deed done.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2014, 02:48:40 PM »
Oh Pookie, I have thought of trying peroxide, but..what if it doesn't work?  Then she's got THAT stuff in her too.  Thanks though for always thinking of ideas for us.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2014, 04:00:20 PM »
I think the theories about why cats eat grass (or house plants for that matter) are all unfounded. I don't think anyone knows why an obligate carnivore likes to ingest grass and leaves.

I think it's because grass is VERY slightly sweet. Get a piece of grass sometime and chew on it yourself. Their taste buds are a bazillion times better than ours because their sniffers are so much better too.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2014, 04:18:48 PM »
I think it's because grass is VERY slightly sweet. Get a piece of grass sometime and chew on it yourself. Their taste buds are a bazillion times better than ours because their sniffers are so much better too.

Ah, but those same theorists will tell you that "cats can't taste sweet"   funny2

However I don't believe that.  I have had cats with quite obvious sweet tooths.

But that doesn't explain why cats will eat other plants, including plants that are highly toxic to them.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2014, 10:12:49 AM »
Oh Pookie, I have thought of trying peroxide, but..what if it doesn't work?  Then she's got THAT stuff in her too.  Thanks though for always thinking of ideas for us.

I'm pretty sure it would work.  When Pookie ate string a few years ago, that's what the vet gave him, too, to get him to bring it back up.  But I can understand your concern.

I had another idea (if she'll eat it):  canned pumpkin.  I've been giving Pookie a cube of canned pumpkin daily to help move the hairballs along, and was thinking maybe that would help move the grass through her system.

Just tossing it out there . . .  :D
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2014, 05:57:16 PM »
Pookie,
Do you freeze pumpkin in ice cube trays?

Tags: