Author Topic: SHOULD be Recall - WHY Not?  (Read 12036 times)

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
SHOULD be Recall - WHY Not?
« on: January 09, 2012, 05:44:00 PM »
Just another day in Purina-land -- still more coming in with the usual.... maggots, vomiting, "webbing"... this isn't a fluke. Too many varities  being complained about, too.   http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/ralston.html
How many have to die first?  How many HAVE because people aren't hopping on the Internet??? 

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Re: SHOULD be Recall - WHY Not?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 06:02:54 PM »
Filled out a complaint.

Description:
How many animals have to DIE before consumers with pets are INFORMED of this by the worthless media and others who are more concerned about their precious advertisers and kickbacks? Anyone notice who's commercials are airing with that Rin Tin Tin movie lately?
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/ralston.html

Consequence:
Thousands of pets will CONTINUE to suffer and can easily DIE if people keep OBLIVIOUSLY watching those commercials and it will all be swept under the rug!! 

Hopefully at least someone will read it. 

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
  • Respect-The-Star...Violators-Will-Be-Hung
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 05:37:37 AM »
Put it on their Facebook site, where someone will actually see it, and have to respond, or, go to change.org and start a petition. I would also write a letter to your editor, of your local paper.  Call the TV stations, they advertise, per say, they want stories. Put an ad, in your local newspaper, in the pet section. The key, is to get the public's attention, then, Purina has to respond.   >:( TexasFlag bumpgif

Or, write something up, and Bump, will post it on their FB site, he has no fear, he keeps BB on their toes, mol. :D

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 07:58:52 PM »
LOTS of complaints, concerning Purina products.  Toooooo many to just be coincidence.  IMHO
I only recently because familiar with consumeraffairs.com.  Looks like people may be Googling for info and finding others in their shoes. 
How many are NOT looking for info though...and their pets will continue to suffer? 

Not to go toooo off topic, but... when people don't feel well, they almost always assume it was something they ate.  To ME, that doesn't seem to be the norm for people and their pets.  I find that odd. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 08:19:57 PM »
TexasFlag bumpgif

Or, write something up, and Bump, will post it on their FB site, he has no fear, he keeps BB on their toes, mol. :D

Bump, wanna post that link,  and maybe a summary like you do with truth about pet foods emails?  thumbsup1  cat4

How many are NOT looking for info though...and their pets will continue to suffer?  

Not to go toooo off topic, but... when people don't feel well, they almost always assume it was something they ate.  To ME, that doesn't seem to be the norm for people and their pets.  I find that odd.  

It's On topic. You're right. what's the FIRST thing we think, and an MD asks for vomiting & diarreah?  It's common sense.

It's not odd in pet owners' world because ... just look through the comments....and keep reading on down further....

How many of those people took their animals to their vet multiple times with the symptoms and food was never asked about, even considered a possibility?
This is another perfect illustration of the severe problem with the conflict of interest I keep harping on.... and the trust...

The reality is that people and these pets are, in fact, at the total mercy of commercial pet food companies for as long as it's allowed to continue UNLESS they either go digging on the net or seek second opinions & are fortunate to find a Diamond-in-the-rough veterinarian not "under THE influence".
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 08:24:45 PM by CarnivorousCritter, Reason: merged responses »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 08:23:29 PM »

The reality is that people and these pets are, in fact, at the total mercy of commercial pet food companies for as long as it's allowed to continue UNLESS they either go digging on the net or seek second opinions & are fortunate to find a Diamond-in-the-rough veterinarian not "under THE influence".

Said...perfectly!   thumbsup1

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 08:26:19 PM »
With the current Purina complaints we have been running across lately...2007 replay?

Dogs keep dying: Too many owners remain unaware of toxic dog food
By Susan S. Lang
Even though Diamond, Country Value and Professional brand dog foods have been recalled for containing highly toxic aflatoxins, they have caused an estimated 100 dog deaths in recent weeks, say Cornell University veterinarians, who are growing increasingly alarmed. Some kennels and consumers around the nation remain unaware of the tainted food, which may have been shipped to more than two dozen countries, and as a result, they continue to give dogs food containing a lethal toxin.

To better screen affected dogs so they can be treated as soon as possible, Cornell veterinarians report that they now have a new test, adapted from one used in humans, to accurately assess aflatoxin poisoning in dogs (see companion story). Currently, about two-thirds of dogs that show symptoms after eating the tainted food die.

http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/Jan06/dogs.dying.ssl.html
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 07:53:34 PM by Lola »

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 08:25:21 AM »
You know, yesterday I took a quick look at RodentPro and Hare-Today to see what the options are, because I'm getting tired of trying to find something that Pookie will eat, can tolerate, and DOESN'T have some sort of problem.

I'd been giving him Natural Balance Ltd Ingredient chicken & green pea wet as part of his rotation.  The last batch I bought, I had to take back because after eating one can he got very burpy.  Sometimes that happens, though this was a bit more than normal, but given the complaints I've seen on their website I wasn't taking any chances.  So that's now out.

I also feed Nature's Variety Instinct rabbit wet -- can't find it anywhere now because apparently the manufacturer is having trouble getting the rabbit.  I'm at a loss . . . rabbits breed like . . . well . . . rabbits, so how can there be a shortage?!?!  The dog and cat canned foods are the same (according to NV -- the dogs are getting more taurine) so I can give him the dog canned, but I'm not entirely comfortable with it.  And a couple years ago, when all I could feed his sister was the NV Instinct duck, there was a shortage. 

So now I'm down to a rotation of 4 cans (one of which is the Instinct rabbit dog wet food, and another that I have to bribe him to eat).  I may end up going whole prey just because this is getting ridiculous.  I hadn't planned on it, but I'm running out of ideas.  It seems like every time I find something he'll eat and can tolerate, whoops! there's an issue with the manufacturer.  They seriously need to get their acts together, or it's gonna cost them a lot more than they think.

Ok.  Rant over.  Sorry if I'm off-topic.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 11:57:28 AM »
That was a good rant, Pookie.  :-*

IMHO, those of us that are feeding manufactured food, are pretty much feeding our furkids the lessor of the available evils.   pullingouthair

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 12:18:05 PM »
 grouphug Pookie.

FWIW, have read good things about Stella & Chewey's -- and Weruva's canned, see potato starch in them but that may be just to thicken the gravy (just a guess tho; sometimes I take some water from pot of boiling potatoes & add to gravy instead of corn starch to thicken it so maybe that's what they do if they use potato for the dog foods?) 

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 01:43:00 PM »
Thanks, Lola!  Thanks, CC!

I do give him Weruva on occasion, as a bedtime snack (it gets spread out over a couple of days), but I thought I read somewhere that's it's a bit low in calories, so I wasn't sure if it should be a main part of his rotation.

I've tried the Stella and Chewy's . . . not sure he likes it.  I actually just gave him half a patty this weekend, and he only ate maybe half of it, but it's possible he wasn't as hungry as he was acting (he'd been giving me "the stare" and got very excited while it was rehydrating), or it was very filling.  Or maybe he was disappointed because he thought Mommy was giving him a freeze-dried treat instead of this wet stuff.  Sigh . . .

He's eating the feeder mice like a champ now, though.  I can't believe how fast he eats them - I'm still drying my hands from washing them, and he comes in the room -- all done!

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 02:03:03 PM »
I get the best all around "feeling" from Weruva foods.  My first  thumbsup1 was that they don't manufacture ANY dry kibble.  For that reason alone, I support them.  
They explained their use of tuna (somewhere)...that made sense.  (Yet, I still don't feed any of their fish flavors.) Something to do with the fish food chain.  Not including fish "parts."  Where they get their fish.  Yadda, yadda, yadda.  Unfortunately I can't remember the exact details, or where I read their explanation.   :-[
They are realllllllly nice folks and do answer emails, if anyone wants to get accurate info.  
There food is lower in calories, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.  ??
Weruva is one of the foods that is often in rotation.  
Originally, the majority of our bunch, only liked pate foods.  After enticing them with a food topper...Weruva has ended up being one of their favorites.  
Haven't tried Stella and Chewy's.
Have Before Grain, on order, for the first time.
I'm "over" only buying food that comes in larger cans.
I would love to try feeder mice, if I could force myself to stomach it.  For 7 felines, I think that would be just a bit out of my price range also. I'm soooo jealous of you, Pookie.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 02:11:48 PM by Lola »

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 04:37:15 PM »
If it makes you feel any better, Lola, the first time I gave him a mouse, my stomach felt a bit queasy . . . so I do my best not to look while I'm thawing.  And I'm so busy concentrating on tuning him out while he's demanding that I thaw the mouse faster, that I don't really think about it too much now.  Though I have to say, I don't actually see him eat it . . . he grabs it, goes to his "den" (under a piece of furniture) and eats it there.

I've been getting them at Petco, which is not cheap, but for the occasional snack it's fine.  If you were able to get all 7 to eat the mice, you're best bet would be to order them from RodentPro or Hare-Today -- the prices looked pretty reasonable and you get more for your money.

You can also get feeder rats (small or large) at Petco, too, but there are some lines I don't think I can cross.  Rats just creep me out, dead or not.  Yuck!

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 07:20:25 PM »
Ho hum, just another normal day --  >:(

I bought two bags of Purina Dog Chow with the Tin Tin Ad on them because they were so inexpensive. My dog has been sick for three days now since he started eating the stuff and I have to suspect the dog food. Besides him being sick, I am sick of cleaning up dog puke form my carpets.

Ray of Gastonia, NC

Sorry for the "Rin tin tin" reference in another post.  That new movie is apparently named "Tin Tin".

1/18/12
We have always fed all 8 of our dogs Purina dog chow or a Purina made product. Well, we won't anymore. Our 13-year old Weimaraner became violently ill with vomit and had diarrhea with blood. They had to be taken to the vet, while now, I have another one starting to show the exact same symptoms.

I called the 1-800-7 Purina consumer number and I was informed that they had received no complaints about any of their products. I informed the CSR that I was making a complaint and also requested that they send me a packet so I could send the remaining dog food in to be tested.I will never feed any Purina product to any of my dogs again.

More under these...

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 07:56:38 PM »
And I'm so busy concentrating on tuning him out while he's demanding that I thaw the mouse faster, that I don't really think about it too much now. 

Tuning him out.   funny2