Author Topic: Windows 8  (Read 2141 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Windows 8
« on: January 03, 2015, 01:52:14 PM »
Hubby got a new to him laptop with Windows 8.  Normally, I LOVE learning new operating systems.  Not so sure I am loving Windows 8 though. 

Jumping from Windows 7 to an iMac was easier.  lol   

Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Windows 8
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 02:03:39 PM »
The one thing that I hate the most about the newer Windows OS's is the fact that they try more and more to make it look and act like Apple products. MS, quit trying to make it easier for those that know nothing about computers, and go back to doing what older people had to do--learn how to actually use a computer!
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 02:11:23 PM »
I have Windows 8.  I went from Win 98 (1998-2006) to Vista (2006-2013) to Windows 8 (2013-present).  I'd give anything to have Vista back.  I loved it.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 03:45:55 PM »
I have Windows 8.  I went from Win 98 (1998-2006) to Vista (2006-2013) to Windows 8 (2013-present).  I'd give anything to have Vista back.  I loved it.

Heck, I loved Windows XP SP3 (and I still remember DOS a bit fondly). The thing about most of them since though is that you had the option of making it it "Classic View". Not so with 8--unless you want to install Classic Shell--http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/make-windows-8-8-1-look-like-windows-7-xp/.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 03:47:46 PM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 04:35:40 PM »
I don't see ANYTHING (yet) that even smells Apple-ish.  lol 
I do find it a little less irritating not using the IE browser.  My employer forces me to use IE at work, but they have no control of me at home!! 
WindowsXP was one of my favorites. 
One thing that has helped me go with the flow (so to speak), is that I have always had different operating systems (at one time) on different computers, laptops, phones, etc.

CatsAndDogs,
If you read this.... it is much easier (IMHO) to open more windows using Chrome. 
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 04:48:10 PM by Lola »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 04:37:42 PM »
My first computer (I think I mentioned this before) was a Commadore 64.  I don't remember anything, except I could eat a 7 course meal.... in the time it took for an action to be completed.   lol

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 06:00:27 PM »
I don't see ANYTHING (yet) that even smells Apple-ish.

Applish to me means a screen full of large sized icons to navigate anywhere. Less control through a file manager or control panel. No fast start menu. And a bunch of icons floating in the bottom. I don't need photos to navigate. Just give me a file manager to click through so that I can get to where I want faster without playing around. I honestly HATEed that new laptop for the RV. I installed Classic Shell as soon as I got home after that last trip.

Edit: I guess that I mean is that I don't need all those silly fail safes that those that are computer illiterate might need. I don't want MS or Apple saving me from myself. Why should I have to click in 4 or 5 different places when I can go to one place and scroll down to what I need? I've truly hated using my son's Apple when we've been visiting in the past. It's like it's a murderer that wants to hide the bones from me.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 06:31:05 PM by DeeDee »

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 01:28:10 PM »
My first computer (I think I mentioned this before) was a Commadore 64. 

Mine, too!
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Tags: