Author Topic: Mazy cat - on our way to the vet right now  (Read 8153 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Mazy cat - on our way to the vet right now
« on: June 23, 2016, 11:23:53 AM »
I had already scheduled her check up for July 14.  But over the past few weeks I've seen several signs that might indicate FORL again.  They seemed to come and go, so I didn't worry too much, but last night she appeared to be really having discomfort with her mouth and would not eat raw, any raw.  I got out a can of By Nature Organic (thankfully I have some left, expire date May 2017) and she ate quite a lot of that mixed into almost a gruel with water.

(she did eat her Rad Cat breakfast, then prompty brought it back up.  but..she was "due" for a puke)

As soon as I got to work this morning I called the clinic, and by some miracle my own vet had an opening at 1:00.  For other cats, in an urgent situation I would "take anyone".  but when it's Mazy cat, unless it's a dire emergency, I would tend to wait to get my vet, because Mazy cat knows her at least.

So, since my vet had an opening, I guess it was meant to be, I am doing the right thing bringing her in right now.

I can't stand to think of her being in pain.  I can't stand it. It's so hard to know with her, because of her other issues, you know?

Anyway, if anyone sees this, please be thinking of us.  I'll have to go back to work when we get back, but I will feed them first, so will probably take a minute to update.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Re: Mazy cat - on our way to the vet right now
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 01:25:36 PM »
well we're back.  Not much the wiser, because we had to wait so long, 40 minutes,  Mazy cat was so upset there was no working with her. Vet tried to look in her mouth, there was no tech, and I got bit.

Left middle finger, badly.  I'm on my way to the doc right now after I'm done feeding them.

Vet feels Mazy cat isn't suffering mouth pain, because the looks she did get she didn't see anything obvious.

Will keep July 14 appointment.  I did talk about the cortisol treatment and though she tried to be receptive I could tell she wasn't happy.  I am to fax or email her the info on the exact tests before hand so she can find out what lab she needs to use and when the blood will have to be sent.

I used to love this clinic but they've gotten so big now, cut appointment length,  which of course makes them run late, which is really inconvenient for people who take the trouble to get there on time, you know? They just remodeled but it's a noisy as ever and once again Mazy cat was put in the room with the window.  I really think that has much to do with her getting so upset, that gd window.  I protested, and asked for another room, just like last time, the same thing happened last time they put us in that room, but was told there weren't any others.  I mentioned it again to vet and she said I should have asked for another and I said I DID.

There sould have been a tech I don't know what she was thinking trying to do Mazy cat without a tech.

Anyway I''ve got to go to the doctor now, more lost work time.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 01:53:30 PM »
OMG. I hope she ends up okay! I hope YOU end up okay and don't get an infection. This is very disturbing.

I swear, sometimes I want to go into the redecorating business--just to redecorate Vet offices for the comfort of the animals and not the visual appeal of humans. I think both could be incorporated, but I think the animals should come first since so many of them don't do well in those situations.

:-*  HeadButt Will be praying for both of you!  GoodVibes GoodVibes GoodVibes
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 03:58:18 PM »
((((HUGS)))))

Keep us updated, when you have time!
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 04:27:50 PM »
thanks you guys, I've got antibiotics, thankfully didn't need stitches. for the morbid minded, if you want I'll try to take a pic when I remove the bandage to soak later.

Mazy cat is fine, recovered.  But I am furious that they again put us in that room with a window, this its the THIRD time it has happened and i keep complaining, but then feeling like a jerk, I finally say okay. It will not happen again.

All those new rooms, and they put us in that blasted room with the window.  There is no where for mazy cat to face where she feels safe.

and I am FURIOUS WITH MYSELF for letting her get so stressed she had to bite me.  She warned us again and again she had had enough.  What the HECK is wrong with me that I wasn't watching out for what was best for her.  I am so angry with myself I don't know how to get over it.

I am just beside myself with self disgust.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 04:41:03 PM »
NOTHING is wrong with you. 
I get it (I think)... you ask for a room without a view.  When it doesn't happen, you tell yourself that you don't want to be a pain in the butt or maybe this time it will all work out, etc. etc. etc. 
Also, the vet SHOULD have known that Mazy had enough.  The vet SHOULD have had a vet tech helping.  You pay a professional for a reason.
Beating yourself up isn't going to change anything.
Mazy cat forgave you... right after she sunk her teeth into you.  ;)   

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 04:46:41 PM »
I am so sorry that you got bit and that Mazy got so stressed!  Hopefully she'll feel better soon, and your finger will heal quickly.   fingerscrossed

Just out of curiosity, is there a way to use the kitty carrier to block the view of the window?  I assume not, but thought I'd ask.

and I am FURIOUS WITH MYSELF for letting her get so stressed she had to bite me.  She warned us again and again she had had enough.  What the HECK is wrong with me that I wasn't watching out for what was best for her.  I am so angry with myself I don't know how to get over it.

I am just beside myself with self disgust.

You were focused on her mouth and what might be going on with it.  It happens and it's understandable.  GoodVibes GoodVibes

I see a chat with the vet (or office manager or SOMEBODY) in your future, explaining that Mazy cannot be in the window room, and there must be a vet tech to help.  You are the customer, you know Mazy better than anyone, and they need to listen to you.

Please, take care of yourself and try to not be so upset at yourself, if for no other reason than it doesn't help you and the cats will sense it and get stressed, too.

Sending hugs and purrs,

grouphug CatPurr grouphug CatPurr GoodVibes GoodVibes
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 04:47:48 PM »
NOTHING is wrong with you. 
I get it (I think)... you ask for a room without a view.  When it doesn't happen, you tell yourself that you don't want to be a pain in the butt or maybe this time it will all work out, etc. etc. etc. 
Also, the vet SHOULD have known that Mazy had enough.  The vet SHOULD have had a vet tech helping.  You pay a professional for a reason.
Beating yourself up isn't going to change anything.
Mazy cat forgave you... right after she sunk her teeth into you.  ;)   

Well said!

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 04:55:17 PM »
Will keep July 14 appointment.  I did talk about the cortisol treatment and though she tried to be receptive I could tell she wasn't happy.  I am to fax or email her the info on the exact tests before hand so she can find out what lab she needs to use and when the blood will have to be sent.

Here are links to the information:

http://drplechner.com/get-help-for-your-pet/test-procedures-info/animal-protocol/

http://drplechner.com/get-help-for-your-pet/lab-info/

The test information is also in the book you already have.  I don't remember if the lab information is also in it, and don't have access to it right now to check.

As for the vet not being happy . . . she needs to understand that she will not be prescribing the usual high doses of cortisol.  These are very low doses, based on the blood work, that will bring Mazy's endocrine-immune system back into balance.  But first things first:  doing the blood work.  That will determine if Mazy even has the imbalance.  If she does, then the cortisol gets prescribed, again based on the blood work.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 05:18:46 PM »
Thanks Pookie, yes, the info is in the book, including the specific lab he recommends.  I will make sure to tell her that too.

I know I will get over today, but I am just so angry that I let this happen, you are right the clinic and vet were at fault, making us wait, no tech, putting us in that room again. Yes to all you said, but the bottom line is I am responsible for Mazy cat and I should have been watching out for her better. I don't blame her a bit for biting me.  She was pushed beyond endurance, she warned us over and over she'd had enough.

I wish there was a decent vet around here.  One not working for someone else I mean.  She is a staff vet, and works a lot less hours than she used to besides.  There is only one other local clinic, and she is a declaw monster, I will never use her ever again. ( I left when it was suggested to me that I declaw Mazy cat, when Mazy was new to me)

I did go back to work after the dr appointment.  It was after four but I had said I would come back to do my close out, so I did.

okay finger really really hurts got to stop typing..

Mazy cat is eating the Rad Cat, as long as supplements are added.  She won't eat it plain.  I'm keeping her on canned for supper and bed time for a few more days.  I don't know why she was refusing the chunks meals but I'll try again next week. (Mazy cat's "chunks" aren't really.  They are very finely cut pieces, like grain of rice size) I can't really cut them up right now any way

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 07:25:45 PM »
grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug

Soaking the finger in epsom salts might help with healing.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 07:55:11 PM by Pookie »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2016, 07:34:34 PM »
I can't believe you can type at ALL with that finger!!  Hope it feels better SOON.  How long will it be bandaged?  Did the doctor give you any grief about it being a bite from a cat?

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2016, 08:05:09 PM »

Soaking the finger in epsom salts might help with healing.

See picture attached  :D kissyou

I can't believe you can type at ALL with that finger!!  Hope it feels better SOON.  How long will it be bandaged?  Did the doctor give you any grief about it being a bite from a cat?

Typing one handed mostly, but the index finger is okay.

I was asked if I knew the cat and her rabies status.  I had her rabies certificate in my pocket.  No one looked at it. Very different from the first time she bit me and I went to an urgent care place.

Can't tell that story now.  I've soaked and re-bandaged. I also took pain medication.  No point in being a martyr.

Wear bandage until the bleeding stops.  Then open air or bandaid.

I took pictures of the wounds.  I won't post them if any of you would be grossed out, but it looks not too bad tonight. There was still a lot of blood when I took the bandage off that the nurse had put on.  (the first bandage the vet put on) It will probably swell more, and there most definitely is going to be much bruising. Maybe I needed a reminder for some reason.  That will never happen again.

Okay have to rest now.  Here's the new bandage.  Mazy cat didn't like the purple one I hope this one won't catch her eye as much. Picture of my easy supper too.  Boy was I glad I had that can of beefaroni in the cupboard.  The cats all are having By Nature organic too. I need easy tonight.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2016, 09:35:17 PM »
Glad all went well at Urgent Care at least!
"No point in being a martyr."  Agree.  :)
I'm open to viewing the wound.  It can't be worse than the bowl of Beefaroni.   Silly7

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2016, 10:06:47 PM »
I'm glad you're doing the Epsom salts!  Do you by any chance have any homeopathic remedies at home?  Arnica would help, too, but if you don't have it, then don't worry about it.

I'm 50/50 on seeing pics of the damage.

grouphug

Tags: